Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

License Plate Bracket?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

... not the common WW bracket that fits under the light. I want to run a vintage license plate frame (Marable Motors, Aberdeen.)

I have the commom bracket and it is pretty floppy. A license frame with the dealer name at top won't clear the license light, and if it did I think the bottom would strike the body while driving. I searched but didn't really see what kind of bracket other where using. What works? I'm not afraid to drill a couple holes in the W.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

Just using the standard bracket isn't really a big deal. I have to use one when I run yom MD plates and the plates are too big for any frame. They vibrate a little, but never scraped or anything.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is pretty standard style frame that I've used with standard plates

and here's a photo of a couple of other pretty standard VW dealer frames

there is an entire thread devoted to frames.

Having one from where your car came from or where you live is a pretty nice touch (imho).
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

I just used another standard plate bracket below the one that was already holding the plate on my '65.

Bolt the second bracket to the lower part of the empty plate frame, bolt the plate frame to the bracket that is already there on the decklid, mark, drill and mount the second bracket. Remove frame, put the plate and frame back on, done.

No more wobbly license plate.

Doing the same to my '55 Bug and my '78 Westy.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
... not the common WW bracket that fits under the light. I want to run a vintage license plate frame (Marable Motors, Aberdeen.)

I have the commom bracket and it is pretty floppy. A license frame with the dealer name at top won't clear the license light, and if it did I think the bottom would strike the body while driving. I searched but didn't really see what kind of bracket other where using. What works? I'm not afraid to drill a couple holes in the W.

Is this what you have ?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1931581

I know what you mean by being floppy and wont clear the light, This is what i have on my Rag Top. My deck lid already had the holes drilled to fit this style. On my vert i have the same problem you are having but i cant get myself to drill holes in that one Wink .

http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-license-plate-bracket-rear-1955-1956.html

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023

Last edited by 56Cabrio on Thu May 26, 2016 12:13 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

The bracket below, like whats also pictured above is what my 58 had installed on it back in the day.
It's a solid bracket, your plate and frame doesn't move.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

Thank you 56Cabrio and Stale Air. I will get myself one of those. I have one of these, only cleaner, I want to install on the back of my '57.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

I finally got around to removing the floppy license plate bracket and mounting the reproduction 1955 Bel Air license plate bracket. I used a section of bicycle inner tube as a gasket between the bracket and the body.

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I finally got around to removing the floppy license plate bracket and mounting the reproduction 1955 Bel Air license plate bracket. I used a section of bicycle inner tube as a gasket between the bracket and the body.

Thats a really cool plate frame !

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

How do you like the new bracket?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: License Plate Bracket? Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
EVfun wrote:

How do you like the new bracket?

It works very well. It has a rubber bumper at the bottom that simply will not allow the license plate to hit the deck lid. I bought it from a reputable ebay seller of reproduction Chevy parts and paid $18 including shipping. When I got it there was some stamping roughness on the back side so I hit that with a fine file and sprayed the back of it with a little satin black Rustoleum, which sticks very well to a powder coat finish. Of course I had to drill 2 holes in the W deck lid, but that isn't a big deal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: