Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yeti cooler?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Friends:

Looking to buy a Yeti cooler, will sit on floor behind my passenger seat (I have an 86 weekender).

Questions:

-What model/size have people used that fits best in that spot?
-If you have a Yeti cooler, are you happy with it?
-What do you use to tie down?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!

-David

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I use a Yeti 65 qt size cooler, its heavy when fully loaded for two. So heavy it takes both of us to move it in and out of the vanagon. Take that into consideration.

I use dry ice with water ice and usually lasts 8 - 9 days with daytime temps in the 80's to low 90's and not draining the water.

Yeti has a strap tie down system worth consideration. Not going to comment on how I tie it down as I don't want this thread going sideways.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Check out RTIC. Half the price and great reviews, tend to have trouble keeping them in stock however. The 45Q versions of either brand would fit well.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I got the Yeti roadie 20. It's a little small, but looks cool which is why they're called coolers.

The roadie 20 is for small trips for two. The same principals of room vs bulk apply as with all other coolers. I'd wait for an REI 20% off sale and get one.

-Rob
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Save up just a little bit longer for a proper fridge (ARB). You won't regret it.

Last edited by benandmj on Wed May 25, 2016 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Pardon my question, other than being critter proof, what makes either of these or the Pelecan cooler better than the Coleman steel that I have been using for years....

Ask because I am due for a new one shortly...

Thanks
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
Pardon my question, other than being critter proof, what makes either of these or the Pelecan cooler better than the Coleman steel that I have been using for years....

Ask because I am due for a new one shortly...

Thanks

They have far thicker insulation so they keep ice frozen longer. The flip side is that they have much less room inside compared to a cooler with similar outside dimensions.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I looked at Yeti etc. but settled for the much cheaper Coleman Extreme 28Q. Works great, a good size for me as a solo traveler, no need to tie down, strong enough to use as a step up to the top bunk.
dprendergast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Check out the Pelican coolers. Mine was $100 cheaper for the same size (45 QT)

http://www.pelican.com/coolers/?gclid=CIzQ__vt9cwCFZQjgQodbtsPSQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Tried the Yeti Equivalent (Engel) Used it on one trip and stepped up and bought an Engel 45Qt Refrigerator. It only hurts once. The amount of space you loose for the ice to be efficient Is not worth it in my mind. That Yeti/Engel cooler is huge in a confined space. If you had a full sized Van or truck or setting them out side at camp, yea their great but in a van where space is tight it is not worth it.
I bought a GW tie down kit. This is no brainer to me, if you were in an accident or just regular driving you want that thing staying still. They use the seat belt boltholes with eyelets and turn buckles.
The biggest down side of a frig is adding Batteries to keep it going. I started with one and I think 2 will be more then twice better.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
digthemlows
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

We're a family of 4 and we had a yeti 45 for a little bit. It wasn't nearly big enough. We went with the 65 and love it. There's a great "test" article on Overlander.com that's worth reading. We're strapping the Yeti to Eye Bolts in the seatbelt straps. We have hardwood flooring with a non-slip rubber mat and the cooler never moves when it's not strapped, we're just strapping so we don't worry about the kids in the back getting a cooler to the head if god forbid we ever get in an accident.

20lbs of Ice lasted us 5 days with frequent opening and closing during camping..... they are amazing coolers!
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend a real fridge for that kind of money. They are very nice. I wish I bought one years ago.
If you are trying to go cheap, get a cheap cooler.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

The Tundra 35 fits correctly behind the passenger seat, just the right width and height. We used the GoWesty seat belt loop bolts and two NRS 3 foot raft straps and it locks in place perfect.

A great addition.
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Go with the Pelican 65 qt - $340 shipped compared to $450 for the Yeti. There are minor advantages to either but you'll have more money left over if you buy the Pelican.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Grab a tasty beverage and watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

This is what we got and it has been fantastic. We do have a decent aux battery system but in my opinion worth it. With solar, you can have cold beer until the cows come home.

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP430-Compact-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430.html

PS: you can get these on scratch and dent sales too, but have to wait and be quick on the draw. Some excellent threads on these too.
Chuckarlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

This is the correct answer...

regis101 wrote:
Grab a tasty beverage and watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

We run a TF65 permanently in our westy and an extra yeti 65 when not traveling light or we're out for a while. It's a big, heavy ass cooler and cheaper than fridge, batteries and solar in a weekender but it takes a ton of space.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Yeti 50qt was the perfect compromise in my weekender-footprint is the same as the 45 but now seat height for an extra seating position while camping. Kept ice cold all thru Syncro Solstice. Pricy, not sure it's worth the asking price but will last a lifetime. Fridges are awesome but the real cost is much higher than the Yeti when you factor in batteries, solar, overall weight and in my case, loss of ability to store under a custom car cover.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
landkholdings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I have the yeti 20 for food and the 50 for beer and extra ice. I use the 20 for day trips, and both for longer trips. I stack them behind the passenger's seat. When I set up camp, the 50 goes outside and the 20 goes up top. I like to have one inside so I don't have to go out in the morning to get breakfast started.

I bought mine years ago before there were many competitors. Now, I would probably go with Orca because a friend is a dealer, and they're pretty cheap at dealer prices. I recently spent two days on the Gulf with my yetis and my friends and their orcas and they preformed basically the same. The only difference I see between a yeti and an orca is the handle. The handles on the orca are shaped like whale tails and are softer to the touch.

I also have a friend with Pelican 90. That thing is pretty awesome as well, but it is a 2-man job to move. It's tall instead of long, so the footprint is small considering the volume.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://yeticoolers.com/official-oklahoma-coolers/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: