Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO oil temp gauge
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Hwy tested the bus today after pulling and putting bus parts on my 1600DP engine that's in my 72 riviera bay. It previously had beetle muffler, 205K dist, and H30/31 carb. Replaced with bus muffler, 205Q dist, added flaps, and thermostat, and Volkzbitz German carb. Ran fabulous the whole ride. About 60 total miles. My question is, how high should the oil temp get on a new VDO oil temp gauge that is using the oil relief plug sender. I've heard that the true accuracy of these oil temp gauge setups is inaccurate and just good for trend monitoring. I kept my speed around 65 and the gauge got all the way up to about 245 degrees. I stopped and did the whole grab the dipstick test, and it wasn't too hot to hold at all. Low speed cruising the gauge stabilizes around 220. Engine has all tins, Hoover bit, and working thermostat and flaps.
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Sounds like you're good to go. I'd use that gauge just as you described, only for trend monitoring. You've done everything right with your cooling (if you have the correct tins for a type 1 engine in a type 4 bus) and your dipstick temp is good. Bus runs good. Good job. Carry on.
'74 Westy (parts)
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

At some point it might be nice to test the sender in some boiling water to see just how close to 212ºF it reads.

A "laser" thermometer would also work easily....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

What weight oil are you running?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

Did someone say Oil?
Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

I know, I know.... but higher temps are often caused by someone running 20W50, that molasses keeps the cooler bypass valve open all the time. Changing to 10W30 usually results in a cooler engine, use that thread to choose the brand and type.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
What weight oil are you running?

Valvoline 30wt.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I know, I know.... but higher temps are often caused by someone running 20W50, that molasses keeps the cooler bypass valve open all the time. Changing to 10W30 usually results in a cooler engine, use that thread to choose the brand and type.

FWIW - I think that is the dual relief engines only. The late single relief T4 dumps oil back to the pump inlet when that spring opens so the oil cooler sees pressure all the time. On a 100F day at freeway speed I see about 12 - 14 PSI per 1000 with 20Winter-50. 10Winter-30, or straight 30 weight will drop to 10 - 11 psi per 1000 at freeway speeds, which is the bare minimum pressure. Add a long hill climb and that concerns me. I could not find 10W-40 in a flat tappet oil anywhere locally.

My opinion - 245F is higher than it should be for this time of the year unless you are climbing hills or bucking a strong head wind.
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

When it climbed to 245 i was climbing some hills. I live in east TX so the interstate is a little hilly. Nothing huge or sustained though.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

If you want to verify your gauge then get it hot and quickly pull over and shoot the oil sump cover with a laser temp reader. I did and they were within 5 degrees of each other.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

How bad would having a hole open in the tin where a hose used to be? I know you don't want any leaks from under the engine into the upper engine compartment, but I didn't think I would get that much of a difference. I have plans to seal up the hole.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

dgrdurham88 wrote:
How bad would having a hole open in the tin where a hose used to be? I know you don't want any leaks from under the engine into the upper engine compartment, but I didn't think I would get that much of a difference. I have plans to seal up the hole.

Little to none if its small. There have been tests that leaks are cumulative, I remember Colin did a few duplicate runs with various sealing pieces missing and I think the results were pretty insignificant. a single small one likely wont make much difference. Make sure your airflow going through the heater boxes is tight, T-stat flaps are operational, and as much else is sealed. You should be fine otherwise, if you are that worried, in the meantime aluminum tape is your friend.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

a slight grade over 10 miles, or series of grades, will do that on an 80F day near sea level.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

That temp is typical in the Great State of Texas. It is what it is, and that is............HOT....., weatherly speaking.

Just consider your measuring the oil temp before it goes through the cooler.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
That temp is typical in the Great State of Texas. It is what it is, and that is............HOT....., weatherly speaking.

So you think that 245 degrees is normal for the sender being at that location? Today it was near 90 outside and driving between 65 and 70 made those high oil temps. I'm running valvoline 30wt. Before long daytime high will be high 90's. Should I change oil weight? Will that make an appreciable difference? Like going to a 40wt?
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

i am not going to start any oil debates by recommending that you ditch the straight 30wt.
i have always run 10w30 in air cooled engines and consider above straight up and down on the VDO gauge to be too hot for sustained driving.
switch to a multi-grade oil and slow your speed from 65-70 to 60-65 and you can thank me later Laughing

and you should seal up the hole in your tin with the proper preheat elbow and hose to the OG air cleaner, even in texas Wink
dgrdurham88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:

and you should seal up the hole in your tin with the proper preheat elbow and hose to the OG air cleaner, even in texas Wink

I'm with you on that. It currently just has a K&N air filter. I'm slowly getting things back to German stock parts.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO oil temp gauge Reply with quote

dgrdurham88 wrote:
rugblaster wrote:

So you think that 245 degrees is normal for the sender being at that location? Today it was near 90 outside and driving between 65 and 70 made those high oil temps. I'm running valvoline 30wt. Before long daytime high will be high 90's. Should I change oil weight? Will that make an appreciable difference? Like going to a 40wt?

I would seal up your hole, first. I have tin snipped a sheet metal disc and tacked it in place with a mig welder in a few places. I suppose you could use some copper silicone and glue it. There have been reports oil temps can be reduced by 20 degrees by switching to 10w 30. You may try that. It seems counter intuitive but the idea is the engine has less likely a chance to bypass oil before it goes through the oil cooler. Make sure you know where TDC is on your pulley and your timing is 28 to 30 degrees all in.

I set my bus motor up with a 7.8 to 1 compression ratio and on very hot days it will go 240 or so which makes me nervous. This occurred on trips to the Hill Country and a time or two going to Dallas (250 mile trip). I haven't tried the 10w30 oil in mine but I want to. I just don't drive it enough to know for sure. 245 to 250 degrees is getting up there. But that temp is before the cooler, so keep telling yourself that.

Maybe it would be better to get rid of the stupid gauge.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: