Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a 1776 in my buggy but it's not enough for me. I built this car from the ground up with the intentions to have a real nasty little street machine. Here is what I did...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And how she sits now.

I have a friend that has what we believe is a 2.0 liter type IV engine. It has been converted to an up right and has a DTM shroud. I also know the previous owner of this engine. It came out of a 914 Porsche and now has 103 mm pistons so I believe this is a 2.4L now. I need to measure the pistons to confirm.
I know nothing about type IVs. If this is a Porsche does that mean anything I want to do to it will be $$$$$? I see a VW stamp on the side of the block, this confuses me.

The motor is in pieces. He has everything to put it back together. New cam(can anyone identify the cam?) , lifters, square cut cam gears, bearings etc. No new push rods. Header is there. Looks to be stock distributor.
I guess what I am asking is what have a stumbled across here. Carbs are 44 IDF Webbers. Not sure if it has been ported, maybe just polished? Stock crank and rods? Stock heads?
What kind of numbers would this motor put out? Being a Porsche does that mean the crank and rods are good enough and do not need upgrading?
Any advice, info would be greatly appreciated.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

At a glance that looks like a 205M vacuum only distributor, and wouldn't really work for those carbs.

thats all i can add for you though Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

That's cool, and I thank you for the input.

It this one wouldn't work there might be another distributor in the parts boxes as this was a running motor before it was tore down.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008

Last edited by Glasser on Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

The pics of the cam wont tell us too much. the real important numbers are stamped into the cam gear end above or below the slot...

Dang a type 4 in a manx? that should last like 500,000 miles!

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

midtravelmidengine wrote:
The pics of the cam wont tell us too much. the real important numbers are stamped into the cam gear end above or below the slot...

Dang a type 4 in a manx? that should last like 500,000 miles!

OK Thx, Ill have to go have another look.

Agreed this motor shouldn't have to work very hard pushing a 1400Lbs buggy around. I'm hoping it will haul some serious a$$.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

A couple of items:

1. The fact that it may or may not have been "originally" a Porsche 2.0....is irrelevant and worth no extra money. The engine case, crank and rods are the exact same castings as a 2.0L bus engine. "0" difference.

2. I the original Porsche 2.0L...outside of sheet metal and exhaust manifold differences to use it in the mid engine configuration....only the cylinder heads were unique to the 914 2.0...with larger valves, combustion chamber and an different plug angle...that was actually a big advantage....if you consider 10-15 HP and some throttle response big (which it was among the stock engines).

If those heads were complete....uncut....and no cracks (which would be exceedingly rare at this point in time)...the HEADS...would be worth quite a bit to the Porsche-Phile wanting bone stock originality.

However....the in that condition...cut for larger bore and unknown crack situation or mileage...they are nothing but cores.

3. If the engine were still in its original form...and complete...in Porsche 2.0 form....it would be worth some cash...again...to a collector or Porsche guy.

The stock 2.0L 914 heads had a three stud pattern. We cannot see the intake side in your pictures but the intake manifolds appear to have a "universal" hole pattern to allow the use of either 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0L Porsche and VW heads...so I am guessing these might have correct three bolt intake manifold pattern.

The 2.0L 914 head was an excellent design...best of the bunch...for throttle response and HP production....but the worst of the bunch for lifespan and cracking problems.
The vast majority of them out there now are worthless without huge amounts or welding.....and are NOT the best candidate for enlarging cylinder size and porting. They just dont survive.

You can buy modern copies of the 914 2.0L head ...correct ports, plug angle and chamber...on new and far better castings...from HAM Inc.

4. Those heads appear to have some nice custom exhaust manifold flanges. If they are done well...that alone is worth $$$.

What cam and what lifters will be critical to the life of the engine.

I may think of a few more things later.

Looks like a nice start with a good pile of parts. Wheen you start putting this together...make note that those might be original Porsche style swivel feet adjusters. If so..take care of them ...as they are worth about $250 in current costs.

Also...unless for some reason those adjusters were just backed off for storage....I would bet that the geometry on this engine was way off...and the pushrods with it are not useable as is...and its got thick spacers under the rocker stands.....
....another nice thing it does have...is a solid rocker spacer kit already installed. Nice parts Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

WOW thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

it does have the 3 studs.

So you say these heads are nothing but cores, you would not use them or were you speaking generally value wise.

Where do they crack so I can inspect them. Same as a type 1 dual port? Between valves?

Do these looked polished? mild porting?

What cam would you recommend, Owner says he has cam statistics with new bolts in a bag. So I will know what he has there.

The rockets shafts were all backed off to take pressure off the valve springs.
(EDIT) Ah the adjusters themselves look adjusted wrong..... So push rods were probably long and they compensated with spacers. but still not right as adjusters are set high.

So looks like a good start and that is awesome, how would you proceed? New pots and pistons. Does the block need line boring?
The owner was going to just put it all back together as is with new cam etc etc. it was pulled apart originally to re bearing it as the original owner (Porsche owner) said tear it down and go through it. New owner did that but oil started to puke oil out the back end so they tore it apart again. I trust previous owner and current owner.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
WOW thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

it does have the 3 studs.

So you say these heads are nothing but cores, you would not use them or were you speaking generally value wise.

Where do they crack so I can inspect them. Same as a type 1 dual port? Between valves?

Do these looked polished? mild porting?

What cam would you recommend, Owner says he has cam statistics with new bolts in a bag. So I will know what he has there.

The rockets shafts were all backed of to take pressure off the valve springs.

So looks like a good start and that is awesome, how would you proceed? New pots and pistons. Does the block need line boring?
The owner was going to just put it all back together as is with new cam etc etc. it was pulled apart originally to re bearing it as the original owner (Porsche owner) said tear it down and go through it. New owner did that but oil started to puke oil out the back end so they tore it apart again. I trust previous owner and current owner.

They are great heads....especially for a light car....if they are in good condition. The ports "look" stock from what I can see....which is not too much.

The problem is that they ran hotter than the 1.7 and 1.8 heads.the 2.0L 914 heads. Not hideously hotter.....but enough that if there were any cooling issues or fuel mixture issues...they had cracking issues due to casting quality differences.

And...a lot of the overheating was due to the factory exhaust system and cam...both problems you will not have.

They crack all around the sparkplug hole, in the ports and between seats. To properly weld them...cracks must be ground out, all ferrous metal removed including seats, studs etc, heads baked/heated, welded, re-annealed in an oven and then seats installed.
Thats a lot of money.

So if they are crack tested and OK....I would have new seats put in...always...with unknown type 4 heads...with better than .003" interference fit (try .005" to .006" max)...and then run them! especially in a light car like a manx.

The issues with the 2.0L head...is that the Porsche only guys....want these heads badly for restorations.

And most of those guys (painting with a wide brush)...have no idea that for the most part...except for the heads....there is no difference in quality and spec of most of the Porsche and VW engine parts....so they are willing to pay STUPID prices for serviceable heads.

Like http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121340597457?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

$989 for a pair of USED heads in unknown condition...which will have a limited lifespan...simply because they are used....and are prone to all of the evils of the original head.

And...many who must have "Porsche"....are also willing to pay as much as $200-300 for head cores that have known cracks...to rebuild. Just stupid....unless your 914 2.0L...is concors condition or destined to be so.

So if you really NEED Porsche 914 2.0L heads for your 914....and you really plan to drive it and not be doing this again in 3 years....I would go this route
http://www.hamincgroup.com/type4.php

Go to HAM inc....new AMC castings ...better quality...with all new hardware, CNC duplicate combustion chambers and factory correct spark plug angle, stud pattern and valve size...with better than factory aluminum, hardware etc. Pricey...but not so much more than what factory 2.0's are running...used.

If yours are crack free...they will be fun to run. Ray
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

If that 1776 is in decent shape you could set it up with a WRX turbo and FI cheaper than what it would take to get the TIV together and going.
Turbo gives you power when you need it otherwise it runs like a stocker.
You can start out at the stock waste gate of 6 lbs which is almost 50 % more hp and crank it up to over double the stock up.
Work your way up as you get more confident.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Awesome thx again for all the info...

As for the 1776, yes its a stout little motor, counterbalanced welded crank, polished (stock) rods, bubble top Aluminum case. big bore heads, 110 cam. Just clicked 10,000 Kms on it. I built it myself.
I know nothing about turbos.......or EFI for that matter.....
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

If you wanted to do a nice type 4 engine, it looks like a good place to start. However, I don't think it will be enough power for you- a lot of money for little improvement over what you have. Since it's a buggy, you have a lot of freedom.

If it were me I would turbo your 1776. My next option would be the Subaru swap. At this point, you want more power so don't be afraid of EFI, turbos etc. You will want to learn about tuning anyway so you get max power and longevity. Get a donor Subaru car and gut it. Transfer everything and you won't have to learn it all at once. What you should really do is take a ride in any good turbo car, you will be interested after that..... I promise.

I took the turbo kit off my 2 litre to fit in my bus and boy do I miss it! Boost is where it's at. The bug is now getting a basic 40hp so the lady can drive it without being scared. Laughing

She doesn't know it yet but it's getting a small supercharger, lol (that's for when I drive the car) BOOST IT! Don't be scared to learn. Even with type 4 there's a lot to learn anyway

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
the intentions to have a real nasty little street machine.

Just my $.02 which may only be worth half that Laughing Laughing

This is all just what I have heard by a man who owns and runs a vw shop for 40? years as I have not driven a type 4 myself. (asked when I was looking to build a type 4 for a Baja)

Type 4s have a heavy rotating assembly and are better suited for wide ratio trans gears, heavy hauling and grunt oriented builds as they build great torque. Its not going to rap like a street bike. Im not sure how it would feel in a light weight buggy with short tires/gears. Just throwing that out there as food for thought. maybe no validity but, thought id through it out there as you were looking for a "real nasty" engine.

Confused

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Yes I am worried if it will be enough.
I don't mine a torque monster. Buggies have tall tires so torque would be nice. I also need a new trans so can choose accordingly.
I do want power but do want reliability..... if I need to stop at some point to get reliability then that is where the line in sand would be drawn.
I also don't have 10-15000 US (Turn Key 2332 EFI turbo).

Have no clue what my 1776 is putting out and have no clue what this would put out......

Last edited by Glasser on Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

$2695.00 US that's $3368.00 Cdn

http://vwturbokits.com/bug/4095960

$ 3000US for EFI thats $3700 Cdn

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7075

$7000..... plus shipping and duty Ouch...

Keep in mind I'm only 1400LBS. I should rephrase, I want a nasty little street car..
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

what would it take to get 160 HP out of this type IV? Or is that too much for this head configuration?

https://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=138
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

midtravelmidengine wrote:
Glasser wrote:
the intentions to have a real nasty little street machine.

Just my $.02 which may only be worth half that Laughing Laughing

This is all just what I have heard by a man who owns and runs a vw shop for 40? years as I have not driven a type 4 myself. (asked when I was looking to build a type 4 for a Baja)

Type 4s have a heavy rotating assembly and are better suited for wide ratio trans gears, heavy hauling and grunt oriented builds as they build great torque. Its not going to rap like a street bike. Im not sure how it would feel in a light weight buggy with short tires/gears. Just throwing that out there as food for thought. maybe no validity but, thought id through it out there as you were looking for a "real nasty" engine.

Confused

Um...no. The rotating assembly weighs within a few pounds of the type 1. In fact ...1.7 and 1.8's at 66mm stroke and 2.0 at 71mm stroke...and yes type 4 has larger journals...but really...the rotating weight and mass is little difference. The case is heavier and much more stout....aluminum.

And....the torque band as designed on 411,412 and 914 peaks lower in the rpm range and worked well with final drives as high as 3.73:1 stock....and the bus versions were different still.

Yes....they can and do rev just like any type 1 motor is capable of. It all depends on the combo and gearing.

A 2.4 liter...not enough for a manx? Rolling Eyes ......jeez...you can crank out an honest 125-135 hp with a well built 2056....what are you looking for?

I agree....this is a nice set of parts to start with if everything is in good shape. I would get rid of the heavily lightened flywheel. I would not think its necessary for large tires and for your usage.

My points about the 914 2.0L heads were for: A. making sure you dont pay extra for them and B. That if they are not cracked...their design makes for about 10-15% of hp across the board compareed to other type 4 heads. Ray
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
$2695.00 US that's $3368.00 Cdn

http://vwturbokits.com/bug/4095960

$ 3000US for EFI thats $3700 Cdn

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7075

$7000..... plus shipping and duty Ouch...

Keep in mind I'm only 1400LBS. I should rephrase, I want a nasty little street car..

You don't have to fit it under a decklid, so the first kit is not for you. Most of what you are paying for is a NICE header. The other stuff is just brand new parts so, yes it adds up fast. You can do a draw through system with single carb for now, EFI isn't necessary but makes tuning and drivability smoother.

If you want all the work done for you, it's gonna cost a lot. Fabrication skills are going to save you money in all aspects if air cooled VW, it's worth learning. I sold my kit for $1400 here on the classifieds. It was super nice! It came with EVERYTHING !!! Autometer boost gauge, Holley fuel pump, etc stuff that some kits don't have. It's really easy to start off with a draw through setup. It doesn't have to be EFI. I could do some used parts shopping and be in it under $1000, but I can fab stuff up. The header must be heavy duty with thick flanges if you want it to last

Draw through- turbo is in between a carb/throttle body. Carb operates on suction only

Blow through- turbo pushes air into the intake side of carb/throttle body

Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

Found this on the internet, am curious about HP to weight ratio. After all that is what it is all about.

Z06 Coupe
Weight 3524
Power 650

06 BMW M5
Weight 4012
Power 500

06 BMW M3
Weight 3415
Power 333

06 Subaru STi
Weight 3351
Power 300

06 Nissan 350z
Weight 3339
Power 300

06 Nissan 350z Track
Weight 3370
Power 300

06 Mitsubishi Lancer RS
Weight 3219
Power 286

06 Mitsubishi Lancer MR
Weight 3285
Power 286

06 Subaru WRX TR
Weight 3192
Power 230

Now a 1400 Lbs buggy with say 120HP

Buggy
Weight 1400
Power 120
.0857142857 (Equal to a 06 Lancer)

Buggy
Weight 1400
Power 140
.100000000 (Somewhere between an BMW 06 M3 and 06 M5.)

Buggy
Weight 1400
power 180
.1285714286 Just past the 500 HP BMW M5

So I don't need a pile load of HP to have a real street machine.....
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

I like those comparisons, very cool to look at. It all comes down to what YOU will be happy with. After riding my old ZX9 streetbike (a 94, something like 125 hp with 420lb). Stupid fast for me, non professional rider. Even that made my turbo bug feel slow!

If your buggy doesn't need wheelie bars, I'd always be craving more. I just love that massive rush. It's a terrible drug and I'm a very mature and safe driver

.294 is the # I got on the calculator from my old bike Laughing
Take THAT Corvette!

Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Looking at a type IV motor.(Picture heavy) Reply with quote

LOL Awesome, Know the feeling and I will never grow up... and probably always want more.
I'm just tired of having a fast looking buggy and having a Chevy Equinox kick my ass....

I'm really glad I found these numbers as it puts everything into perspective. If I can get 130-140HP out of this thing I'm sure I'd be very happy!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: