Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me buy carbs and not get burned please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

First off thank you for looking at my thread. I have purchased several sets of used carbs over the years and each time I have paid 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a pair that was supposed to be in good shape but they have turned out to be less than usable. Most ads state the carbs are in good shape, well, that has proven to be false ime. So I end up paying about double after having them rebuilt by people that do an ok job but still not perfect. I know I can buy new made in India/Brazil and assembled in the usa ones but I am stubborn and want to have real Italian ones. So I am asking the good folks here to help me make a better decision this time. I'm not trying be cheap, I don't have the 80's price mentality that I see folks using still ie. trying to cobble a engine together and pay peanuts then flip it to some poor sucker. I just want to end up with something good without being jerked around. If I have to buy new, what should I get, even though it bugs me to run anything Chinese or whatever. These are for a bay bus with a standard type 4, which btw is also costly and iffy ime. Laughing Thank you for your help.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

what are you looking for Dellorto's?? weberIDF's?? weber IDA's?? DCNF's??

I have all avail.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

I also have 36, 2 x 40, 45, and a 48 complete bolt on kit in Dellorto for sale as well. All mine tested and fully rebuilt. What is your application, budget, and needs?
Lots of new sets need the basic procedures to ensure proper operation.

So u can choose new and go thru that new set, buy used go thru and take your chances, or buy rebuilt that's tested.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with the Made in Spain Weber carbs. They are not copies, they are not reproductions, they are real Weber carbs made by the real Weber company.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

I want to try the webber 40 idf's this time. I have them on my 1904 stroker motor and even though they are worn out, they are easy starting, run smooth and havn't been an issue for me. The dells I have are all ok but needed all the rejetting and venturis and fiddle farking with them even after one of the good guys here rebuilt them. I paid 500 bucks for a so called good set from a guy here that never posts in the forums, he just sells stuff, but he isn't trust worthy ime. Then after another 500 bucks to be rebuilt, they were still not good, meaning the throttle plates were not closing tight and I had to adjust the shaft in in one until it was closing good. I'm hoping to spend my hard earned money once not twice this time. Laughing Budget, I don't know, 4 to 5 hundred? Application is a 79 bay with a type 4 stock motor. I have cars with dual ict's, dual webber 40 idf's, dual dellorto 40's, and one with drla's . I am not worried about jetting and syncing them, that's never a problem because I have the books and come here often for answers. And Spanish webers are fine in my head too btw.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

1000 for Dell 40s and rebuilding charge. That's steep. I can't blame you for feeling once bit, twice shy. Imo the dell's are superior, to its brother idf when rebuilt, set up right and with the correct jetting/venturi set. That's my personal opinion. Every carb brand and model has its particulars. However, you have to go with your gut. Good luck and let's hope u get an apple and not a lemon!
Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
First off thank you for looking at my thread. I have purchased several sets of used carbs over the years and each time I have paid 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a pair that was supposed to be in good shape but they have turned out to be less than usable.

Guys list carbs for sale as "good", "ok, needs rebuild", "for parts", or my favorite, simply USED
And you know what? It has no relation to reality, at all LOL
Because, people are crazy. They don't know what they have.

If you try to buy something ready to bolt on and go in that price range you probably will be let down.
a few hundred less price range, what you will get is the same, but they sellers probably just have a more "glass is half empty" opinion. The "I rebuilt it wrong myself" guy rather than the "I paid somebody else to rebuild it wrong" guy.
buy low, sell high, expect lemons and get pie!

there is only two levels of quality IMO, used, and blueprinted/tested. Either they are ready to run, or they aren't, but people get all kinds of different ideas. If you EXPECT them to be no more than rebuildable, half the time you'll be pleasantly surprised
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

As stated above, there is nothing wrong with Spanish carbs, and the reality is they are better than most Italian carbs because they are new and not worn/corroded.

Not get burned? Buy a set of 40 idfs from John at www.aircooled.net and pay him to set them up for you (clean inspect set floats etc).

Simple.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Cool, that helps me a lot. I forgot I also have a set of the Kadrons on a 1776 rebuilt by a famous Kaddie guy and to be fair, those were bolt on and rock out. But they are just to small and limited imo so I feel I should have gone bigger that time. I will give John a call, he did the rebuild on the drla 36's so I know him. Out of curiosity, I remember hearing new ida 48's are being overhauled when new by someone, maybe CB performance? Something about flaws from the manufacturer needing to be ironed out. Is that still the case or am I just crazy? Oh and are those Decade carbs worth a hill of you know what? Thanks again gents. Cool
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Sounds like you have run into half the guys that claim they know about carb rebuilding and tuning.
One of the best in the game of rebuilding carbs is Blackline Racing, also in SLC. I am not aware that ACN does rebuilds, but they set up new carbs to customers needs.
BUT, mind you, it is IMPOSSIBLE to set a set of carbs up to be perfect for a given engine out of the box. They can be set up to be really close. The last fine tune has to be done on the engine. If it happens to be perfect it is a very lucky shot.

T
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Get out of the Weber- Dell- USED - mentality.... Best carbs right now and NEW are HPMX 40' and pricing new is about what you are going to pay for used Webers or Dels...

Each....

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-47-1010

$436 for a pair and free shipping (as of May 25-2016) , what is not to like...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Or you can buy new HPMX from Blackline. They will set them up on a running engine. You just bolt them on and do final jetting...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

We don't do carb rebuilds, we actually won't even touch a carb we aren't selling or have sold. It's rare that a carb is returned for a defect, because that means we didn't catch it prior to shipping.

I do think our setup/jet is a fantastic value, and saves buyers a ton of setup time.

Blackline is the rebuilder we recommend.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

The OP said he doesn't want Chinese so that eliminates the EMPI HPMX

I think your best dollar value is new Weber IDF's from aircooed.net and pay the extra to have them set up then your done spending.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
... If I have to buy new, what should I get, even though it bugs me to run anything Chinese or whatever. These are for a bay bus with a standard type 4, which btw is also costly and iffy ime. Laughing Thank you for your help.

He did not say Chinese was totally unacceptable... But if I were him, its either new Webers or Chinese HPMX.... Since his experiences with used and/or "other" types of carbs have been bad, he has little choice...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

by new, and be prepared to tune them.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Oh Red...Just buy the new Spanish IDFs with the CB linkage and be done with it. In getting 22-23 mpg in my westy with them, there's no worries man.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

That's Art, right?

Max
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

That's Art, right?

Max

his old company I believe..
thought Art sold it and retired a few years back..
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me buy carbs and not get burned please Reply with quote

An extension to the OP - once you have found some that appear good - what next? So as far as setup goes. Are there particular tests that could be done prior to bolting on and hoping for the best?

For example (here comes the hijack) I have dell 40s. taken them apart, put a gasket kit through them (checked the float etc. as per the dell book) - they were pretty good to begin with. I have researched jetting based on my engine and have it pretty close there too. Problem is I dont have an engine to test them on ... only my new engine which I plan on breaking in (not breaking!!). I am scared.

I was thinking of taking them off the manifolds, hooking them up to a fuel line, then gravity feeding fuel into them to see how it all squirts back out. I dont know what else to do to check they will operate - am I being paranoid ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: