Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desmato
Samba Member

Location: Michigan, USA, Earth, Milkyway, Universe,... Bottom of some being's shoe !

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

Ok folks,.... I'm putting a recently acquired '73 1600 back together after a total degrease, blast/paint tins, torque head studs, adjust rockers, new rear seal, new clutch disc etc...... and I need some guidance. It's a bone stock '73 and from what I can tell, has been taken good care of. aside from being a bit grimy due to the oil leaks, it's a clean complete engine with every tin and even has the t-stat and flaps ! (P.O. bought a complete stroker and trans from CA.and decided to sell this as a package to cover his shipping cost)

#1..... I am looking for a part number and typical place to purchase the 4-10mm flange seals for the oil cooler (late Dog house style). The ones that came off are still decent, but I don't want to chance it since this is likley 1 place the oil was coming from.
My other option is to reuse these and apply a thin layer of Loctite 518 gasket maker to each side. Though this is not my 1st choice, it may work well being an anaerobic compound and flexible.

#2...... curious what the magnetic pickup is for mounted on the back of the block with 2 closely positioned posts on the flywheel. I assume it's for a trigger, but what for ?

#3...... the distributor has a 2 wire a Pertronics "ignitor" and no Vac advance. Not being familiar with this type, how shall I wire it with the coil to acquire spark ? ('67 Ghia)

** My Haynes manual does a horrible job of providing wiring diagrams. I've been reading schematics for 30+ years and can't make sense of that crappy book. good thing it was free.

Todd
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

The cooler seals are 021-117-151 A, shop local if you can but if not then Busdepot, aircooled.net or Airhead parts would be good places to look.

The sensor is so the dealers diagnostic computer could read TDC, not much use these days since the machines are extinct.

Red wire from Pertonix to coil #15 (with the black wires from the car on it), black wire from electronical thingamabob to coil #1.. Time it to 32 BTDC @ ~ 3500 RPM (wherever it stops advancing).

Hover your mouse on the technical tab at the upper right of each page and click on wiring, then select type 1.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
desmato
Samba Member

Location: Michigan, USA, Earth, Milkyway, Universe,... Bottom of some being's shoe !

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

"The sensor is so the dealers diagnostic computer could read TDC, not much use these days since the machines are extinct"

So that explains the multi wire harness that was hacked off in his '73 beetle (letter T in the diagram) and the other odd items in the diagram as well. goos to know about that TDC sensor from the flywheel. could come in handy to drive a fuel pump or crank trigger if need be for some odd reason... just thinking out loud here.

"Red wire from Pertonix to coil #15 (with the black wires from the car on it), black wire from electronical thingamabob to coil #1"

So basically, just like points but with a wire to power the pertronix.... that's simple to a fault. I was assuming I needed some other electronical thingambob between it and the coil. btw, the distro has a sticker with the number 0231178009 if that means anything ?

good deal, thanks a bunch !
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

just remember that on VW's

Black is HOT (12V)
BROWN is GROUND

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
martyrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

I see you are from Michigan. If you are within driving distance of Perry, Mi. Don's Sport Vehicle's / ebuggies in downtown Perry has a really good selection of parts and supplies. Don has lots of experience and good advice. www.ebuggies.com

If you live near South Lyon I'd be happy to lend a hand if you need one.
Marty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
just remember that on VW's

Black is HOT (12V)
BROWN is GROUND

Indeed, the black wire on the magic distributor does not respond well when connected to the black on the coil, smoke followed by walking and spending usually follows.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
desmato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil cooler seals and other "newbie" questions on a '73 - 1600 Reply with quote

I got the oil seals from SG imports (Local small parts store dedicated to..... Imports) they were $2.06 ea. which I was glad to pay. Oddly, the local Autozone could also get them for $1 ea, but would have taken a few days.

Got the rear crank seal from the other local store but was substantially more @ $23. though it's a Federal Mogul seal, it's a single lip like the leaky one that's already on it. fingers crossed that it works.

Hopefully gunna fire it up in the next week and revel in the wonders of the boxer !

Thanks for the help guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: