Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneL1013
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Having a hard time getting gasket to seal, any advice or just prescience?
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

ShaneL1013 wrote:
Having a hard time getting gasket to seal, any advice or just prescience?

Hello from around the way (Cookeville). I assume your 78 has a type 4 engine. If so, those aftermarket gaskets are getting to be pretty much junk. Maybe someone here has an opinion on who makes the best. Wolfsburg West has some good ones I think??

Give me a shout if you need some "in-person" assistance for anything.
'74 Westy (parts)
ShaneL1013
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Hey neighbor! Ive got a bunch of dana brand, im gonna run thru before i order anything. Ill get back with you about assistance, but hopefully i wont have to.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Others might disagree, but this is what I do. Thin film of red gasket to hold the cork in place on the valve cover, grease as usual prior to install. Next time you want to change the gasket, stand in a shallow bath of turps while you adjust your valves. Red gasket falls right off. Wipe, repeat.

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Use grease on both sides of the gasket. Once you put it in the valve cover, make sure you push the valve cover against the head to prevent it from sliding as you put the bail into place

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

One way is to use some kind of setting goop and then install the gasket against a spare head while the glue sets. Once set then swap the cover over to the head on your engine.

Another way to go is to sew the gasket into place. Drill 5/64" hole into the outer rim of the cover and then using cotton thread lash the gasket to the cover. You can get a badly distorted gasket to work this way.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Use hylomar on the cover side of the gasket and grease on the engine side.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hylo...gbzk_b_p10
The hylomar will hold the gasket in place and seal it. Slide the cover and gasket around a bit in the grease as you flip the bale. Do not use silicone gasket sealer. Bits may get loose and plug oil passages.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Use hylomar on the cover side of the gasket and grease on the engine side.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hylo...gbzk_b_p10
The hylomar will hold the gasket in place and seal it. Slide the cover and gasket around a bit in the grease as you flip the bale. Do not use silicone gasket sealer. Bits may get loose and plug oil passages.

Aloha
tp

I use elephant snot on the cover side and axle grease on the head side, but the effect is the same. It stays put. When it comes time to take the old seal off I scrape it and toss it on the workbench until I can bead blast it and paint it again. In the meantime I keep a spare set already to go. Make sure the gaskets aren't too hard from age or they don't seal well.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Making sure the bale is installed correctly also helps, if it's on upside down the gasket can slip while you battle with the cover and bale.
Center wow should face up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

I think elephant snot is the hypocoristic name for 3M trim cement. I like to do the valve covers with the snot too. I give the valve cover a little nudge downward after snapping the bail on to make sure it is seated. The outboard pushrod tube seals can leak like its a VC gasket.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
ShaneL1013
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, oil leak is GONE! Whoever said superglue was on the money Razz. Nah i just used more grease
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

Don't know if this is applicable anymore, but in the olden days, I used to soak the cork gaskets in water. They would swell up and fit the valve covers perfectly and would stay in place during installation. No grease or glue needed. Never a leak and I was always able to use gaskets I had even if they were dried a bit.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
I give the valve cover a little nudge downward after snapping the bail on to make sure it is seated.

^^^This^^^
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
... the hypocoristic name ...

Cool! I learned a new word today!

On the valve cover gaskets, I use the cork ones, and oil-em up real good with engine oil. Never had a problem.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

An interesting post script on leaking covers: There's two types of gaskets rolling around.

Try to find the fat Brazilian cork ones. You wouldn't notice a difference if you held each one individually.... but if you get the cheap cork one and the Brazilian cork one in your hands at the same time, the Brazilian is noticeably thicker and seals way easier.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-High-Temp-Silicone-Valve-Cover-Gaskets-set-of-2-914HTVC2.htm
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

I once used a set of composite valve cover gaskets. They worked well for 947 miles. Leaving a Vanagon meetup at Greyhound Rock I saw someone chasing after me, yelling and pointing at the oil streak trailing behind my camper. The composite gasket had expanded and bowed out into the cylinder head and was causing a massive oil leak. If it had happened at speed on the highway the engine might have been toast. No problems with cork gaskets, hylomar, and grease.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips for lining up valve cover gasket? Reply with quote

I know quite a few people who use indian head shellac to glue those suckers in. I've never had an issue (fingers crossed). Seems like a good, solid bale would keep it from moving but being that most are about 40 years old I see some glue in our future.
'74 Westy (parts)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: