Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS Bosch plugs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonnybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

I came across a box of W 8 DC German Bosch plugs, and I was wondering if anyone knew off hand if they are fine for my 2.0 type 4. I searched quite a bit, and could not find much info on them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

do you know what plugs the owner's manual originally called for, and what superseded them?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

W8DC = T145 which were the original spec plugs.

BTW.. W8DC are not NOS, T145 were.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Reading the data below they have tapered seats. Whether that would work or not I do not know. I use NGK plugs on the bus, Denso on the Acura, and Champion on the Ford. Many folks here prefer the NGK because of the rolled threads. Even back in the 1970's I stayed away from Bosch plugs because they tended to foul compared to Champions.

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/SparkPlugs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue May 24, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

If they've been sitting on a shelf collecting dust somewhere for decades, they're new-old stock. Whether they're OE VW NOS is a different argument.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Glenn wrote:

If they've been sitting on a shelf collecting dust somewhere for decades, they're new-old stock. Whether they're OE VW NOS is a different argument.

NOS = New Original Stock

T145 were original, W8DC are not.

NOS also can mean Nasty Old Sh!t.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
NOS = New Original Stock

That's not a definition of NOS I've seen anyone actually USE before, and I've been traipsing around different parts of the classic & antique car scene since the "No New Taxes" Bush administration.

If that's how YOU chose to define the term "NOS", that's fine -- but don't expect everyone to adhere to your interpretation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Glenn wrote:
NOS = New Original Stock

That's not a definition of NOS I've seen anyone actually USE before, and I've been traipsing around different parts of the classic & antique car scene since the "No New Taxes" Bush administration.

If that's how YOU chose to define the term "NOS", that's fine -- but don't expect everyone to adhere to your interpretation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock

The Wiki article describes NOS parts as having never been sold at retail. When trying to keep on of the old rigs running anymore, if I can find a new unmolested part I couldn't care less if it has been sold at retail or not, pretty insignificant in my book.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The Wiki article describes NOS parts as having never been sold at retail.

So if I go to Autozone and buy plugs over the counter then they are NOS by your definition.

Not sure when Bosch changed the way they number plugs but it's been in the past 16 years... not NOS.

You can order as many NOS plugs from this site:
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES1884264/?gclid=Cj0KEQj...AkPc8P8HAQ

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Well according to Ratwell yes those plugs will work just fine and are preferred by many owners....as long as the outside temp is below 77 degrees. Go to Ratwells site. Go to FAQ. Under the engine part go to "which spark plug should I use?" There he speaks about the plug you have. Another thing to consider is that the plugs that you have are the non-resistor type which according to Karl is what you want to use. Bosch no longer makes the non resistor type so yes what you have is New Old Stock. The plugs that ECS are selling are the resistor type..thus the "R" in the part number.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

I found a box of those W 8 DC German Bosch plugs in a 73 bus I bought and they work great.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

From the pictures it looks like the W8DC plug is the extended tip version of the W8CC plug which is the called for plug. The W8DC might be a better plug if your engine sees a lot of idling or low load use, for highway use the W8CC might be a better choice.

W8DC

W8CC
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

So if I go to Autozone and buy plugs over the counter then they are NOS by your definition.

Not sure when Bosch changed the way they number plugs but it's been in the past 16 years... not NOS.

NOS usually means "New Old Stock" which means brand new old parts. Usually at least a decade old to most but, like me, several decades old by many people's standards. For many who are selling NOS original manufacturer parts they get designated as such, "NOS Volkswagen" or which ever manufacturer if it's a Ford, BSA, Gravely, whatever.

So by your definition there's no such thing as NOS Deano, EMPI, Judson, Bambus, BRM, Petri, Robri, Weber, etc?

So, "original" to you only means the manufacturer such as VW in our case? Where do you define "original"? VW didn't own Bosch, Solex, Hella, Continental, etc but, they were original to the cars when new and you could by replacements or replacement parts for those items over the counter at the dealer or many auto parts stores.

At one point, those NOS Bosch points you're selling right now were sitting on a shelf at an auto parts store, they're just old and either not available and/or, better than what is available now and are now considered New Old Stock.

There IS a cutoff, there has to be.

I mean, I have seen people selling NOS parts for stuff that is from 2016, 2015, 2014. These items are still being manufactured new!

On the other hand, we used to sell these cheap little quads at our one dealership. They were actually decent quads and people liked them but, the manufacturer went belly up after only a few years and yet finding plastics and controls and whatnot was a challenge and the demand was great for these items. My only option was locating New Old Stock from other dealers even though the quads were only a couple of years old because brand new parts were NOT available.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

the OP did not imply he had NOS VW type 4 plugs, He stated he had NOS Bosch, then proceeded to ask if suitable for his type 4.

That heat range(new numbering system) came from Bosch in late late 70s or early 80s.

This would tend to make 1 think....they are new...they "could be" from late 70s/early 80s...so they could be old, and obviously they were stocked inventory somewhere, at sometime...but to add, they are still sold new(which the OP may have not know)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

If you can find that plug.....that exact plug new then good for you. Correct me if I am wrong but Bosch has not made that plug in a non-resistor style since about 2008-2009. If you look at the fine print under ECS's add it clearly states that the plug has been superseded by the resistor version. And the fact that they are made in Germany tells me that they are indeed old. But the OP doesn't care about the semantics of what NOS means. He wanted to know if they were suitable to use for his Bus.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

buying them at autozone IS buying them retail. so no. Also, they are not Old.

I always thought that if it was in the box, never used, it was NOS, does not matter if it sat on a dealer shelf for 20 yrs or some guys garage shelf.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Well according to Ratwell yes those plugs will work just fine and are preferred by many owners....as long as the outside temp is below 77 degrees. Go to Ratwells site. Go to FAQ. Under the engine part go to "which spark plug should I use?" There he speaks about the plug you have. Another thing to consider is that the plugs that you have are the non-resistor type which according to Karl is what you want to use. Bosch no longer makes the non resistor type so yes what you have is New Old Stock. The plugs that ECS are selling are the resistor type..thus the "R" in the part number.

^ It took like 7 bullshit posts to have someone actually clearly answer the OP ^
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Hoody wrote:

^ It took like 7 bullshit posts to have someone actually clearly answer the OP ^

Actually I gave a clear answer in the 3rd post.

[quote="Glenn"]W8DC = T145 which were the original spec plugs./quote]

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

sonnybug wrote:
I came across a box of W 8 DC German Bosch plugs, and I was wondering if anyone knew off hand if they are fine for my 2.0 type 4.

Yes
sonnybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Bosch plugs Reply with quote

Thanks guys. All I meant was they are old, unused, and German. I'm sorry that this turned into something else, but thats ok, no need for anger on a VW forum. I was just having a hard time finding useful information on these. This thread has a lot of very useful information in it, and I greatly appreciate the sharing of knowledge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: