Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Really a 58?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Buying this today regardless but I suspect this is not really a '58. Thoughts?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5587652641.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Seriously doubt it. If so then someone has put a lot of effort into it to make the body look like early 1970's.....like say model year 1971 Wink
Any body numbers available?

Last edited by tisius on Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

I think they mean it looks like its been rotting since 58 Laughing
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Yeah I suspect it's a 71 as well. It will be in my possession tonight and I can check out the numbers on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

mfemenel wrote:
Yeah I suspect it's a 71 as well. It will be in my possession tonight and I can check out the numbers on it.

I never touched a VW before I got the 71 I have now and i've had a blast restoring it. Hope you enjoy yours as much
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Thanks! His will be my first Ghia adventure, 2nd air cooled. Proud owner of a 79 Westy that had been left for dead
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Definitely not a 58 if you go by the engine - That oil bath filter style was on the later Ghias. Look at the VIN number under the hood - that will tell you.
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Its a 71 look at the tail lights they are big
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Definitely not a 1958. Taillights are 1970-71. Dash is 1968-71. Even the pan can't be a 1958, as it has the new style heater levers that weren't introduced until 1965 or so.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

T'was an auto stick originally as well. Worth its weight in bondo, too.
Are you are 100% committed?
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Yep, committed. Money in pocket, uhaul car hauler on truck in parking lot. Just waiting on 3 to go fetch it. The tail lights are what stood out to me at first too. Reading your responses makes me very happy to have gotten the price down significantly.
The good new is that after our bus, I just always liked the Ghia and want to enjoy working on it with my daughter (11) and son ( 8 )who go to all the shows with me and who are staying up late until I get home with it. And really that's the fun of it all.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Quote:
Worth its weight in bondo,

tru dat. Looks like a lot of bondo over rust. Someone made many many "custom" fixes.

Good luck mfemenel. I hope you negotiate a really good price.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Well it's home. Got out of work at 3:30, drove 3 hours. Spent an hour talking and loading up the car. Had a flat on the trailer before I left. Waited 2 hours for uhaul to get someone out with a spare, drove 3 hours home. Fun night. Venti Americano powered day today.

Now for the good news. There is absolutely not a stitch of bondo on that car. Where there imperfections, its where the paint is bubbling from rust, but there have been no bondo attempts or any other hack repair attempts. There are only some small rust holes, nothing that is going to require a full restoration panel. The body has never been hit or dented. It is perfectly straight. There are literally no dents. The brother of the owner converted the rear brakes to disc. There is a new chrome exhaust. Fuel sending unit is new. They bought an H4 headlight update kit but never installed it. By hand, I hit a tiny section last night with some compound, then polish and the paint came back really nicely. Once I get the polisher going and polish the chrome it should have a nice shine again. Interior looks great, no major issues other than a slightly dirty headliner in the back left. Tires are newish. Honestly it is SO MUCH BETTER than I was expecting. I really thought it was a bondo queen. I have a fantastic base to start from and am now responsible for not doing a hack job on the body work. I got this.

Now the bad. Some of paint is failing (bubbles) or splitting (10% of it maybe). There is a rusted hole behind the driver tire which will get bigger once I dig into it. That may need a replacement panel, not sure yet. Hoping it's small enough I can just weld in a smaller piece of steel. There are some tiny holes in the battery tray but not a total replacement. The pans are on their way out but I think I can patch for now and buy myself a little time. At some point I'm going to need to replace but I can kick that down the road a touch. Still not 100% sure on that. It wouldn't start when I got there. Not sure of the issue. I can deal with that. Motor definitely turns over and she wants to start. Our downstairs definitely had a gassy smell though, something is open to the air and I'm sure related to my starting issue. There is no Ghia script on the deck. There is no front bumper. Gas tank is original, not sure how gunked up it is. Still not sure of the year, I agree with you guys, early 70's. I wasn't going to worry about it by the time I got home and then had to get up for work this morning. I'll get to it over the long weekend.

It's going to have to get a lot of TLC
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

it does appear to have type 3 headlight trim rings, not Ghia's.....

other than the somewhat minor (at least compared to my Ghia!) rust issues, I think you've got a pretty nice 71 Karmann Ghia!
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Thanks! It's killing me to be at work with that waiting for me in my garage. Like getting a christmas present and then not being able to open it for 24 hrs. Interesting on the headlight rings, I'll take a look at that further.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

hope it's as good as you hope once you tear into it. keep the pics coming!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

How about some pictures of the area of the torsion bar access ?
I sure hope they are there.
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

the nose has been touched, its missing the little recess for the badge
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

ah nice catch on the nose, thank you. When I got home last night I got it out and washed it. I also clay barred it so I could buff a bit this weekend. I did notice some areas where there is over spray (driver door seal had red on it) so yeah, someone has definitely been at it. I'm going to go over it with a magnet to make sure we're dealing with all metal at least.
Any recommendations on a site where i can get a vehicle report? CarFax doesn't like my old VIN number. I'd really like to know some history on this thing.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Really a 58? Reply with quote

Quote:
Any recommendations on a site where i can get a vehicle report?

German cars use AUTOFUCHS not carfax. Wink

I dont think there is anything available for these cars. You can order a birth cert. That will tell you about how it originally was equipped, color, m codes, confirm if you have the original motor and where it was originally shipped.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: