Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Bradley GT Wiring
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

I purchased the car without a motor. Got the motor installed this weekend. Trying to figure out the wiring.

I have 2 different pigtails - one has a heavy read wire with round loop end and a heavy white wire with female spade connector.

Other pigtail is pictured. Has a heavy read wire, a blue wire with female spade connector, a brown wire with femaile spade connector and a long yellow wire with a flat connector with a small hole in it.

I'm guessing at this point but think the red and white wires from first pigtail go to alternator. On the second pigtail, maybe blue wire is oil sender?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

72 Porsche 914
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

Those cars were wiring as the owners seemed fit. You might want to try www.bradleygt.com to see if they have any diagrams available.

The problem with asking here is that it is total speculation on what they might go to. A wrong recommendation could result in a fire and a destroyed project (or worse).

While I might have some ideas where they go they would just be total guesses and I wouldn't even want to offer them for safety's sake.
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Those cars were wiring as the owners seemed fit. You might want to try www.bradleygt.com to see if they have any diagrams available.

The problem with asking here is that it is total speculation on what they might go to. A wrong recommendation could result in a fire and a destroyed project (or worse).

While I might have some ideas where they go they would just be total guesses and I wouldn't even want to offer them for safety's sake.

Valid points. People's guesses here better than my guesses. Worst case I will trace the wires back to dash.
72 Porsche 914
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

I would forget about any guesses and rewire the car. Last thing you need is a burnt kit car.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

As I tell everyone with a bradley or any other vw kit car. Spend the $150 or so and buy a new harness. Forget trying to figure out what some builders 40 year old wires are going.

Save the headache for another part of the project!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

The maverick in me wants to answer this question. Here is what I see. The D+ wire to the alternator is the big wire that has constant battery voltage to it at all times. Hook up the battery and using a test light see if one of the larger wires has battery voltage to it. Or look at the battery to see what wire is hooked up to the positive post.

One of the other wires will have battery voltage when the ignition switch is on. That wire goes to the positive side of the coil.

With the ignition switched on, ground one of the two remaining wires and see if the oil pressure warning light comes on. That one goes to the oil pressure switch.

The remaining wire must to the alternator DF.

It's all out the window if you have a generator. I think you said you have a alternator.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
The maverick in me wants to answer this question. Here is what I see. The D+ wire to the alternator is the big wire that has constant battery voltage to it at all times. Hook up the battery and using a test light see if one of the larger wires has battery voltage to it. Or look at the battery to see what wire is hooked up to the positive post.

One of the other wires will have battery voltage when the ignition switch is on. That wire goes to the positive side of the coil.

With the ignition switched on, ground one of the two remaining wires and see if the oil pressure warning light comes on. That one goes to the oil pressure switch.

The remaining wire must to the alternator DF.

It's all out the window if you have a generator. I think you said you have a alternator.

Correct, I have an alternator with the internal regulator. However, I don't know what was in the car before as I purchased without a motor.

Also, what is not shown in the pic is a second pigtail coming off the harness. 2 wires - one that looks the same as the red wire in the picture and a second, white wire with female spade connector. Wondering if these go to the starter?
72 Porsche 914
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

Ok "Maverick" ... The solution is to do forensics... Untape the wires chase them to the other ends and look to see what they are connected to.... A lot of stare and compare with known good wiring diagrams and a decent tool (volt-ohm meter) for doing continuity/voltage checks will identify what the wire is used for and you can connect or modify accordingly.... With this approach, you are pretty much on your own as most "kit cars" were wired by however PO thought was proper... Many people who actually wires then knew nothing about wiring so be aware there is going to be supersizes and you will moan "what the heck"... Do not be surprised if you start chasing a blue wire and on other end it is yellow, with maybe a 3 foot section of green in the middle....

By just looking at wire ends it is really hard to tell what PO did, only forensics is going to be proof of how it was done....

The new TV show is going to be called "CSI Bradley"...

And make a document (note book) and diagrams on how all the wiring is and maybe add number tags so in future it is easier to chase gremlins...

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=wire+number+tags

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bradley GT Wiring Reply with quote

I think you would have to assume from the wires you have that the previous engine, more likely than not, had a internally regulated alternator since you appear to have two wires going to the alternator. If the previous charging system was a externally regulated deal you would have 4 wires just for the alternator alone (one battery wire and three smaller wires going to the external voltage regulator)

Or it could have had a generator with two wires going to a external regulator, but you would have found a regulator wired into it by now, I would think.

Like the Dalester said, you will have to use a combination of test lights and a VOM meter to trace everything down in CSI fashion. I love vehicle wiring puzzles and actually enjoy the challenge associated with this type of work. Most people hate it. I would think it would be easier to do the repairs than change out the entire harness (which would be a bitch) It depends on the skill of the previous builder though really. Who knows who's dick flippers have been messing with it. If it is a cluster foxtrot mess it may be worth it to just piss on the fire and call in the dogs.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: