Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

Hey guys, a good friend is junking a 78 manual porsche 924. He says I can take whatever little parts I want, and he will cut me a deal on anything else. Car is getting junked so must remain a roller, no wheels or suspension can come off, but it's 4lug anyway.

I have a 73 super beetle, so I'm thinking of pulling all the switches, relays, tach, oil pressure gauge and sending unit (it reads in bar I beleive) center console, and possibly the front seats.

Any suggestions on something I may be missing? Engine needs a head gasket, but I might yank the throttle body an EFI stuff for future use...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

if he changes his mind on the roller part, i would grab the cv's trailing arms and rear carriers.they are the parts needed for someone to go irs to type 2.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

I think the fuel injection was CIS. I always thought it would be cool to fit that system to a bug motor. I thought that system was great. It is a form of mechanical fuel injection.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Yehan73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

Rear shocks are the same. You can swap with yours. Assuming they are better. since you can't take the suspension parts, you don't have very many choices.
Oh yea, you can get the door opening and lock switches. Headlight, wiper signal assembly.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
I think the fuel injection was CIS. I always thought it would be cool to fit that system to a bug motor. I thought that system was great. It is a form of mechanical fuel injection.

I have written miles of stuff years back on the STF about CIS.

It is a fantastic system. It has some advantages that no EFI that is not sequential will not have....Nothing short of modern sequential injection has the throttle response of properly set up CIS....due to the fact that it injects HIGHLY atomized fuel at close to 80+ psi.... continuously through the valve open cycle.

And drawbacks with control-ability when taken away from an engine it was directly set up for.

But...if you work with and learn CIS...it is hands down the best teaching tool for fuel flow, primary and secondary electromechanical control systems and atomization...that you can possibly find.

Though its hard to control and only has so much control latitude....throughout its system variations.....it has a huge range of controls from pressure to temperature variable pressure to hot weather and sport impulse enrichment, precise fuel pressure tuning via the Lambda system and modulating injector etc.

More than a few people a few years back slaved this system onto beetles, type 3 and 914. Check some of Piledrivers posts about CIS on the shoptalkforums.

Most worked with it because its bulletproof, has fantastic drivability...and if you are really a tuning geek....it will keep you busy. Most of these people moved on to Megasquirt and programmable simply because it allowed them to have more real adjustability latitude....and they can get a wider range of parts that are more readily available.

But....CIS is an elegant robust system. If someone is driving a hot car making design horsepower or better for their engine.... and reliably rockin CIS....I have far more respect and admiration for that owner than someone who simply only has plug and play modern aftermarket. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, I'll have to check out some of the shop forum write ups about using this system in type 1's. When I quit working on cars for a living, I boxed up some CIS parts like a fuel distributor, injectors, fuel lines, a pump and the like thinking I would use them someday. One of the fastest production cars I have ever worked on (brown underwear style) was a Porsche 930 Turbo with CIS injection.

The other one was a Dodge Colt with a 2 litre twin cam turbo Mitsubishi motor in it.....no shit...It was a factory built car......it was a little rocket and I had no idea. .......It had some electric port injectors on it of some type.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Wed May 25, 2016 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

CIS since before the turn of the century!
Love it Very Happy

It still looks basically like this 2014 photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: a Thing engine compartment is roomy, when compared to that of a Beetle. The fuel meter would be a tough fit.

I think (in this century) a Mexican Beetle FI setup would be the way to go; maybe with a Megasquirt brain.

On the Porsche parts, I might be mistaken, but I think some guys use 924 (could be 944) trailing arms as a slick rear disc brake conversion.

Good luck, Mondshine

Last edited by mondshine on Wed May 25, 2016 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

That looks factory.....good job! Is that a factory intake for a 75> type 1 ?

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

Here's an iPhone panoramic photo I just made. (I need a little more practice.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The air part of it is from a fuel injected Beetle, except for the CIS injector bungs welded to Beetle intake runners. You can see the aux air regulator which bypasses the throttle when cold. The control pressure regulator is mounted to an aluminum plate welded to the aluminum body of an oil thermostat.
The thermo-time switch is threaded into a fuel pump blocking plate.
The can with the red top is an oil filter.
This is CIS "basic"from a '77 Rabbit. (No brain.) It's primitive by modern standards, but it has been very reliable. Every few years, I clean the injectors in an ultrasonic cleaner. That and an occasional filter is all it needs.
Last week I connected my LM1 (ancient fuel/air meter) and I was at 16:1 at idle, and high 13's to low 14's under load at 70. So I'm happy (enough).

I did this conversion in 1998, way before Megasquirt was invented.
If I were to start this today, I would probably go with Mex Beetle hardware, and a Megasquirt brain.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What parts to yank off of a 78 924 porsche Reply with quote

I went to the CIS school on 1977 when the water cooled VW's came out. When the dealership closed, I bought a shit ton of tools from them. Somewhere in a box I have the test appliance for the injectors which can also be used to clean them. I also have the fuel pressure test gauge you hook up inline with the fuel distributor to check control pressure and system pressure.

I always thought CIS was the best fuel injection I had seen to that point. I had a drag race car back then and used 48 IDA Webers with alcohol and I had considered using Hilborn throttle bodies mated to a CIS unit. I had an idea about using a turbo with the whole thing too and use a manual regulator in place of the control pressure regulator to adjust the mixture.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: