Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fastback fuel injection project
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Need help troubleshooting my fastback project. Just put engine in and it actually started.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Engine was out when I got the car in the fall. I cleaned all the grease off of the engine and the tranny. I replaced all the fuel lines (soft lines); fuel pump; and filter. I adjusted the valves. Replaced the rear tranny seal.

After installing engine last weekend, and a new battery, I started it up. It died after a minute and I could detect a very weak smell of gas. No leaks I can see, but will tighten some clamps.
What should I do next to troubleshoot the starting issue?
1) Check ignition timing
2) check fuel pressure (need help on this as to how to setup the test with the engine not running, and not kill myself).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

I used a 0-100 lb water pressure gauge from Home Depot to check mine. You can test with just the fuel pump turning over, but I check mine running too. Make sure your metal fuel return line on the passenger side isn't plugged up or your results are meaningless & it will never start/run! Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Also, be very careful removing the screw/metal sealing ring off the left side tee. Unless it is flat and smooth, you will get fuel leaks, then over tighten it, and break or strip the works. Anyone got a source for replacements?

Here is a closeup of one from the gallery:

If you can find a 50, 60 or even 75psi max gauge, so much the better. Gauges are most accurate mid-range, and you are targeting 28psi.

You can dial it in with the engine stopped by grounding a wire shoved into the connector at the left front of the engine bay (front as in front of car), with the ignition on. Then start it up and make sure it is stable at 28psi or a tad higher.

Then shut down, and note how fast the pressure drops. Unhook the hose from the tee. Expect a short spray of gas from the pressure. CAREFULLY inspect the metal gasket, make sure it is flat with no burrs (same for the tee and screw), and tighten it back up, not TOO tight.

Without starting the engine, turn ignition on and again ground the wire to run the pump and check for leaks.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

With my engine out for months during rebuild, my fuel pressure regulator went bad-- diaphragm dried out? It gave me a new leak on startup, which a replacement regulator fixed. Hard to see the leak, though. Try a paper towel which will wick any leak and make it obvious.

Also check for leaks up front, ash well as under the car where the rubber lines connect to the fuel lines in the tunnel. Last count is about 30+ clamps which are all potential leak points. Injectors can develop leaks at seams in their plastic housings.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Some gauges are most accurate mid-range, and you are targeting 28psi.

Fixed it for you. Smile

Some gauges are most accurate in the upper third of the range. Some gauges -- like the VDO electric fuel gauges used on our cars -- are most accurate in the lower third of their range. It all depends on the design of the gauge, and its intended usage. I use the liquid-filled gauge Ray Greenwood recommends, which I ordered from McMaster-Carr. It's accurate to 1.5% over the entire range, which is 0-36 psi. Here's a link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3548k11/=12jdwjb
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
With my engine out for months during rebuild, my fuel pressure regulator went bad-- diaphragm dried out? It gave me a new leak on startup, which a replacement regulator fixed. Hard to see the leak, though. Try a paper towel which will wick any leak and make it obvious.

Also check for leaks up front, ash well as under the car where the rubber lines connect to the fuel lines in the tunnel. Last count is about 30+ clamps which are all potential leak points. Injectors can develop leaks at seams in their plastic housings.

Typically a regulator stored dry goes bad from rust. If its not leaking but no longer holds pressure its because of rust flecks that grow on the sealing plate/pintle.

I am trying hard to remember...but I believe the actual spring diaphragm is metal...and it too can rust and leak around the crimped seam into the "bowl" area. Whether it is metal or reinforced rubber sheet it will eventually die from flexing fatigue.

Its been so long....since I have seen the inside of one...I may section one of my old ones tonight and take pictures.

The screw that plugs the fuel pressure test port is part # N 90 121 1 in my book...and is listed as M4 X 8mm. It should be .7 pitch.

You can get a bag of 50 stainless steel 4mm x 8mm cheesehead screws part # 91613A226 at McMater Carr for $5.98. I will check the pitch tonight. The aluminum sealing washer can be made from backing washers for pop rivets wwith a little reaming in the center...or sometimes you can buy those at ACE Hardware.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

I cant see clearly in your photo, but did you use FI clamps when you replaced the soft fuel lines, or did you use screw clamps? The screw clamps can leak under the pressure of the FI.
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out about the clamps. The photo you were looking at was an early photo, before i replaced the lines and clamps. I did use the FI clamps, as I read somewhere else that I should. Prior owner of the car had regular clamps, and non-FI hoses and fuel filter. No wonder it didn't run for them.

I've added an additional photo, which is after I replaced the lines and clamps. And, I did sand down that rusty driveplate before installation.

71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Check for leaks where the wire plug connects to the injector. I have had trouble with aftermarket injectors (specifically ram brand) leaking at the electrical connector.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Adjusting point gap and timing tonight. I did pop open the distributor and found the points to be in rough shape. Cap was pretty bad too. I have new points-rotor and cap I'll be putting in tonight, and then timing.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

cleaned and re-gapped points. Adjusted ignition timing, (which was quite a bit off). But, no luck starting. Was hoping that would do it.

So, on to checking fuel pressure. Need some help here.
- how do i rig the fuel pump so it runs continuously (long enough to get a pressure reading).
- where can i buy a pressure guage? checked O'Reileys, NAPA and home depot. No luck. Found a water pressure guage that is for hooking to a sprinkler faucet. Would that work? Would need to add some fittings.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

I posted a link to a gauge above.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

If you have time and a little money.....the gauge Donnie posted is great to have. It will pay for itself.

In a time pinch....a 0-60 psi water pressure gauge, 3' of fuel line and a brass barb and two clamps from Home depot will make sure you are in the ballpark and steady pressure.

You can take two longs lengths of wire....with crimped female terminals.....hook them to the pump...mind the +/- polarity....and attach them directly to the battery to run constant. This is short of telling you how to jumper around on the relay. This is the most direct method of knowing that the lump itself works....without yet getting into whether its circuit or relay issues.

Be sure all the fuel leaks and such are sealed up before making any sparks on the battery. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

How long can I run that fuel pump without burning it out?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
How long can I run that fuel pump without burning it out?

Maybe a minute or so.....if it actually has some fuel in it that is lubricating it and keeping it cool.

If you have fuel up to the pump.....and you run it for 20-30 seconds....and nothing comes out....stop.

Blow compressed air through the ports.
Ray
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

on the direct hookup of pump to battery, do i only need to connect the positive directly, if I leave the battery hooked up to the ground strap?

Or, should I disconnect the battery from the car (from ground strap) and run a negative line directly from the battery to the (-) on the pump?

Thanks
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of a total fuel system overhaul on mine right now, check out my thread.. But sounds like you don't know the history on your engine and when it last ran in the vehicle?.. Since it ran for about a minute before it died.. I found on mine that sat for years that the fuel was very bad and had turned into gunk in the small filter screens in the top inlet of the injectors.. It might be possible that you have the same issue. and when you started it for the first time you may have taken all the junk in the line from the front of the car to the back and shoved all of that into the screens too.. just a thought, but basically just starved it out. Good luck.. and Wish me luck too, I'm about to try and start mine for the first time.
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I did have a clean, empty gas tank when I started. I replaced all of the rubber hoses from front to back, and all along the fuel ring over the engine. Before hooking up all the hoses, I blew out the hard lines running along the tunnel, with high pressure air.

If I don't have fuel pressure, and can't get it by adjusting the fuel pressure regulator, I'll pull the new fuel filter I put in, and see if maybe it got plugged up right away with some rust from the gas tank. I'm also going to put in new points. I cleaned what I had, but thought the $10 may be worth it, just in case. If none of that solves the issue, I may pull the injectors and put in new ones.

Good luck on starting yours.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fastback fuel injection project Reply with quote

When I hooked the battery up last night, i noticed a spark when connecting to the positive terminal (I hooked the negative up first). Is that significant? Mean something (short somewhere)?

Also, read in other post that one can check fuel injectors with a 9 volt battery, listening for clicks. Can I do that with the injectors in the manifold, or do I need to pull them?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: