Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

I guess I should backtrack a little. I am guessing vacuum could be an issue.
Issue #1
This hose going from the oil fill breather seals like crap when I plug it into the S tube. I taped if off for now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I can't really find a good picture for the deceleration valve. I have the small inlet connected to the vacuum port on the intake. One end feeding into the S body.

The other line feeding from this port:

Is this correct?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

I think so, but regardless all that tape and sketchy looking hose isn't something L-jet plays along with, read the thread linked below and build yourself a smoke tester to find even the tinyest vacuum leak, because the only way it'll run well is with no leaks whatsoever, none,,,,,nada,,,,zip,,,,,.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy. I know the tape is temporary, I just want to get some forward movement on this.
This is my purchase tonight:
How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

How does that hose from the oil fill to the S tube play into the system?
Just curious
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

The crankcase ventilation is a closed system and all gasses are reburnt in the engine, a missing filler cap, loose rocker cover or bad hose will add unmetered air to the induction stream, since it's downstream of the AFM the system can't compensate and add extra fuel to the mixture resulting in a too lean condition.

The Muir book is handy for a noob to figure out how thier car works and get a handle on basic maintenance and parts identification. Always confirm procedures and recommended torques here before applying any advice given in that book that's more complicated than an oil change or valve adjustment.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy, I am getting it now. I tried starting it tonight, cranking it for about 8 seconds each time, letting the cold start valve do it thing, and it started and idled for just a second.
I need the correct fittings for the S tube so I can seal the system up and remove the lean condition I am experiencing.
I really appreciate your help with this.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Just for kicks try unplugging the temp sensor 2, it'll put the system into a full rich winter start mode and may compensate for vacuum leaks if that's the problem.

You may have to plug it back in after it warms up a bit if it's coughing out black smoke.

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Busdaddy, I can't thank you enough. It's running! I went thru and fixed all of the vacuum connections at the S tube. I found 2 cracks in it. I sealed them for now (Ill order a new one). Got the line from the oil fill secured to the S tube and that other line with the tape on it connected correctly. I unhooked the Temp Sensor and it fired right up. Sure did pump out some gas fumes.

Shut it off, hooked up the sensor again and it started on its own. It was idling high and I tried to adjust it down, doesn't seem to want to drop. My throttle cable is pretty scary,slow returning, needs replacing, so I am afraid to rev it too much.

I can't drive it yet. Still have to deal with the brakes, then deal with smog and CA DMV. But it does make all this work worthwhile. My wife is impressed, she never dreamed I'd be able to put it all back together.

Thanks everyone for making this happen.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 4, finishing up details Reply with quote

Just a few more questions as I progress. I found this black wire unplugged. It looks like a ground wire for the tail lights. This connector is on the passenger side to the right of the fuel injectors:

Where does it go?

The throttle cable does not return as it should. It works ok, but I want to lube it. I am just worried about feeding it back in once I pull it out. Just want reassurance that it will go back in the way it came out.

When I set the timing, do I plug both vacuum lines and time it with the light? That way I can verify the mechanical advance is working correctly.

This weekend's project is replacing the brake system. All new from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinder's.
Thanks! This forum is great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: