Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Fuel flow- Check
resistor block, all good
voltage at one terminal at the injector plug- check
Haven't done the fuel spray but I don't think it's looking good
My stepson works at Oreilly and I am going to try 4 new injectors tomorrow
I can always have the originals reconditioned. I just wanna hear it run, lol
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Make sure you also pick up a set of injector seals either for now or for your toolbox.

http://www.busdepot.com/311198261a

You would be better served to send the injectors off to someone like:

http://www.witchhunter.com/

or

http://cruzinperformance.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

New injectors installed with new seals and it at least fired last night. Didn't run on it's own without the starter, but at least I have some fire going now. It felt like it was still starving for gas, and if I had given it a shot, it would have run. My thoughts are to check fuel pressure (have to buy a gauge kit), check the valve clearances again, figure out the cold start valve, and read a lot more.
I tried moving the distributor when my wife was cranking it, and couldn't find a spot for it to take off. It would fire just almost...
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Without a timing light, what is a good place to set the static timing just to try and get it running?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Without a timing light, what is a good place to set the static timing just to try and get it running?

TDC. It will run well enough so that you can time it with a light.

We normally time it to 30º +/- 2º (vacuum hoses off and plugged) when all of the centrifical advance the distributor has to offer is all in. That will happen at about 3500 RPMs so the the engine will be wound up pretty good.

Let it loaf back to idle, plug in the hoses and set the idle speed to the correct 850 PM. Go for a ride and report back.

Whilel you are doing that timing observe the smoothness of the advancing light as the throttle revs up and as it slows down. Sometimes the distributors need to be all cleaned up internally and re-lubricated using Bosch distributor grease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrocek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
My thoughts are to check fuel pressure (have to buy a gauge kit), .

Not really
Every auto parts store has a one for free for rent
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Latest update. Checked the fuel pressure, 34 psi when on, holds 30 psi when off. Dumped some gas down the intake and she fired right up, but won't stay running. Was so exciting to hear it fire. I know I am close.
Just need some help on what to check next. Brand new injectors and seals. Still lacking gas.
Thanks!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Almost seems like a huge vacuum leak, but all the lines are new. I plugged off the holes on the S tube since those need attention, and they are emissions stuff, so I figure it should still run
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Do both sides of the double relay work?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

It's brand new. It works on the fuel pump side. How do I test the other side?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

What tells the ECU when to fire?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

The points via that long white (or tan) wire that goes from the coil to the ECU.

The FI grounds have to be connected to the ECU via the engine wiring harness (and I can't remember where that is on a Type 1).
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

I was just reading this: The 3 ground wires for the AFC are usually connected to the engine case under the left intake manifold pipes.

I don't have any ground wires connected there.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Is there a ground cable that goes from the body to the engine?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Let me rephrase that, I there SUPPOSED to be a ground cable from the body to the engine, lol
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Type 1 L-jet grounds on top of the alternator, 2-3 white wires with ring terminals screwed down near the strap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Ok, those grounds are good
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
It's brand new. It works on the fuel pump side. How do I test the other side?

Under the car pull the wire on the spade terminal on the starter to the DR (86a) (not the one #50 from the ignition switch or the possible one to the test socket) off and touch it to the threaded post the battery cable is on (while key is on), do you hear a click and the fuel pump?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

What is the easiest way to test if the injectors are spraying? Unbolt them, put a container on each pair and crank it over? I would feel better knowing we do not have spray. Since I do have 12 volts constant to them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

Pop a pair out of the manifold and put them in baggies (leave the fuel rail connected).

Your meter may show 12 volts but thanks to the resistor block it's really less, don't get any ideas about testing them with a full 12 volts, a 9v transistor battery is sufficient and won't burn them out. You'll also want to unplug all 4 injectors when performing electrical tests there, since they are batch fire voltage will backfeed through the other injectors coils and give you false readings. Test all 4 plugs separately (other 3 unplugged) to confirm each resistor is supplying power to each individual injector.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: