Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Any chance that black relay on the left in the pic is full of water?, is the fat red wire leading forward from it connected to the battery or starter stud?, is the little brown wire connected to the negative battery post?, are all the white ground wires with ring teminals screwed down to the alternator body near the strap?[/quote]

No water. It could have been wet at one time, but has been in dry storage for 4 months

Fat Red wire is connected to battery
Ground wires are all connected.

The Temp Sensor 2 is bad, going start there.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Well the temp sensor will be an issue if you ever get it to run, but right now you don't even have power to the fuel pump. That relay controls power to the injectors, ECU and fuel pump, if it's ever been wet it's likely toast.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

It's probably toast then. The top is bad and the rear window is gone...The car hasn't been registered since '09
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Interesting, I found another relay behind the seat. My guess is both are bad.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Interesting, I found another relay behind the seat. My guess is both are bad.

Read that double relay link you posted earlier and get your test-fu on, make sure it's bad before buying another.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

88 B good on relay, 88 D no power to fuel pump when cranking. New relay on the way.
Anyone know a better deal on the Temp Sensor 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermo-Time-Switch-Bosch-0...1432005852
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

re: that link.... A thermo time switch is not a temperature sensor for the EFI. It's a thermally operated switch, either engine heat or the internal heating element warms the switch up to physically disable the cold start valve from working when it isn't needed. It is not connected to the EFI brain. The temperature sensors for the EFI are in the AFM and the cylinder head.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Yep, I know that it is not on the start circuit. Just working on my list of parts I need to get this running. Remember, I am in CA, and I still have to deal with smog. Relay and Temp Sensor are known faulty items, next step will be to see how the injectors and cold start valve are.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

okay, just pointing out that it is not Temp Sensor 2.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I get it now. I was calling it the wrong name. Now I should find the specs and test the actual Temp Sensor.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/0280130012

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Thanks guys. 2350 ohms at 72*, so it tests ok. Hopefully the new dual relay will get some fire going in the engine. It will be here Wed.
I am ready to hear it run.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

OK, what to test next? I got the new relay, and have power to the fuel pump. It switches on when in the start mode and when I move the AFM. I have spark and the timing set at 5* ATDC. I don't smell any gas yet. Fuel injectors?
New battery, all new vacuum lines.
It has not fired one time when cranking.
Thanks in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

If you are static timing set it to 7.5 BTDC for now, that 5 after is for a strobe when it's running and in the 21'st century doesn't even really apply anymore. There's better ways to time it after it's running, concentrate on step 1 first.

Any spark from the plugs?
With a test light connected between the coil low tension terminals does it light and then blink when you crank?
Got the single white wire connected to the #1 terminal on the coil?
Got compression?
Has the distributor ever been out?
Have the plug wires ever been off?

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Spark- yes
Flashing light- yes
White wire- yes
This is a new build from the crank up, distributor was timed to #1
New plug wires set to time 1,4,3,2
Compression check not completed, but seems even when cranking
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

It's been 7 years since it was licensed, I don't smell gas and have no faith the injectors are working
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Remove the hose from the CSV and put the end securely into a large bottle so it won't jump out under pressure, then crank for a few seconds, any significant amount of gas in the bottle? There should be better than a cup full.
Next have a close look at the resistor block inside the RH inner fender beside the engine, are all 4 wires securely attached to the ends of the white ceramic cylindrical things on the end?
With all 4 injectors unplugged and the key on is there voltage on one of the terminals in each injector plug?

If all of those check out then remove an injector (or both on one side) but leave the fuel lines connected, then with the key on and the AFM flap depressed so the fuel pump is running momentarily power the injectors with a 9V battery (jumper leads), any squirts or clicks? You may have to send the injectors out for service or replace them if they are stuck permanently.

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Good stuff BusDaddy. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I bought the car in March and I am ready to hear it run.
One question, what is the CSV?
Thanks!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

CSV is the Cold Start Valve, or some call it the 5th injector.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Thanks Dwayne. It came to me this morning when I woke up. Asked that right before bed, lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: