Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 3, almost there Reply with quote

I am reinstalling my engine, but I didn't remove it and need some help with the wiring.
I don't know which wire goes to each injector. I know the side, and I am sure they need to be on the correct cylinder. Need some guidance.
In this image, does the fuel pressure line go here? and what is the wire I have marked?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are these ground wires?

2 wires and the throttle cable. I think I am missing some pieces to hook the cable up. I have the set piece for the end of the cable

Throttle assembly and a vacuum port.

I have been searching a lot. Hard to find a motor just like mine. I think I am finding where all the EGR and lines go, the ones I have questions about are the fuel pressure and the surge valve.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hard to do when I didn't take it apart. Engine has a new crank, bearings, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, new tranny main seal. It's close to being done.
Thanks![/img][/url]

Last edited by KKiley on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know which wire goes to each injector. I know the side, and I am sure they need to be on the correct cylinder

Nope, doesn't matter since they all fire at once.
Quote:
does the fuel pressure line go here?

If you mean the line from the pump, yes. Got a grommet for where it goes through the tin?
Quote:
and what is the wire I have marked?

Looks like the tail light ground, is it brown?
Quote:
Are these ground wires?

Yes, they all screw on to the alternator body near the strap.
Quote:
2 wires and the throttle cable.

The black ones go on coil terminal #15, can't see what color the others are except for something yellow, VW didn't put that there, what color is it spliced to? The throttle cable attaches with a short clevis through the arm and a long nut on the end of the cable.
Quote:
Throttle assembly and a vacuum port

Can't find the vacuum diagram right now, but the EGR, FPR and sometimes the distributor retard all Tee together usually. Is there another port higher up on the throttle body as well?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

Did you put in a new engine compartment seal while it was out? It looks like it is missing in your first pic, pretty important to have it installed...

Also put some hose clamps on the manifold rubber hose where it attaches to the plenum.

Remember- brown=ground for VW.

The first pic brown wire should go to a tab that is spot welded to the left hand side of the engine bay near the wall close to where that big clear connector is.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

Do you have the metal conduit tube for the throttle cable to go through the fan shroud?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

You guys are great. Making good progress today. A few more questions.
I need to hook up this temp sensor and I don't know what plugs into this plastic plug:

Here are my remaining wires:

I am guessing that the blue wire goes to the oil pressure sensor

And I was going to ask what this was:

I am guessing it goes thru the shroud for the accel cable. I still don't know how to hook the cable to the throttle body.
It does have the engine compartment seal at the back of the engine. I hope I can install the one around the rest of it without pulling the engine. It looks like I should be able too.
I really do appreciate the help. I am sure more questions will follow.[/url]
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

Get this for the engine seal. Works great and you don't have to remove the engine to put it in.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/411-225.html
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

The throttle cable is threaded and it goes thru a barrel, then you put the nut on the end.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

Yes that's the accel cable tube. What other pieces do you have?

The wire for the oil pressure switch is blue with black stripe. FYI, here's a wiring diagram, the Bentley (do you have the Bentley manual?) is in black/white but I colored this one in:

Black is terminal 15 (coil)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/76-79113wiring.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/76-79113wiring-key.jpg

If the connector hoses on the manifold are in good shape, no need for any clamps on them, VW did not use clamps on those on EFI.

Engine compartment seals usally easier to deal with if the engine is removed. You said "back of the engine"... when we say "back" and "front" we refer to the entire vehicle. So did you mean the firewall seal at the FRONT OF CAR part of the engine?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

The temp sensor 2 plugs into that white wire with the rectangular plastic end on it.
The other white wire wire goes on coil terminal #1.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring Reply with quote

Just so you guys don't think I am completely inept, here is where I started:

The flywheel broke off the crankshaft, so a complete teardown was in order:

Took it all the way down, had the block checked, new crank, mains and rod bearings, flywheel and new clutch assembly. I cleaned every single part on this engine and painted most of them.

As it sits tonight:

I am just taking my time and cleaning, painting, checking every part, no hurry to finish. Electrical is not one of my talents, so here I am

Here's what it is going in:
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring, update phase 2 Reply with quote

So, thanks to the great help from the forum, we have an engine installed. We also seem to have 2 of the 3 basics covered: Compression and spark:

I know the wiring is not pretty and I have some items to replace, but I wanted to get a battery in it and at least try turning it over. It does crank, and I pulled a plug wire and confirmed I have spark, did a basic timing set and nada as far as a hint of firing from the engine.

I didn't hear a thing as far as the fuel pump went, so I got underneath it and found this (it was laying on the suspension)

I had already pulled the gas tank to make sure it was ok, and I think it must have been replaced, because it was extremely clean inside. But having the fuel pump unbolted tells me something must be going on. I did a direct wire to the fuel pump and it does operate, so that is good news.

I found a good link on this site to start with:
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=54...highlight=

I don't have a whiff of gas yet, so it's fuel injection 101 time. Any basic testing tips would be appreciated, as I search the forum for help.
Thanks!
Kevin
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI wiring, update phase 2 Reply with quote

My initial thoughts are:
check cold start injector
checking injectors for voltage
checking injectors for spray

I'd like to see they are capable of spraying gas, because they could have been sitting for 7 years at this point.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Start by shoving a chopstick into the AFM inlet (air filter lid and element removed) and depressing the flap in there while the key is on and listen for the fuel pump, or at least a click.

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Ok, did that, nothing, not a sound...
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Looks like a good place to start here:
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=54...highlight=
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Does the ECU just lay under the carpet loose like this? I have it turned in the pic

KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Since I have moved from wiring the engine to the fuel injection system, should I start a new thread? Or move it to a different forum?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Ok, step 2 was checking for voltage at the fuel pump and cold start valve when cranking it over. No voltage...
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

Temp Sensor 2 has a reading of 65 ohms, not good
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 78 SB FI diagnostics, step 2 Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Does the ECU just lay under the carpet loose like this? I have it turned in the pic

Any chance that black relay on the left in the pic is full of water?, is the fat red wire leading forward from it connected to the battery or starter stud?, is the little brown wire connected to the negative battery post?, are all the white ground wires with ring teminals screwed down to the alternator body near the strap?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: