Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

Of course, when I was younger it didn't matter at all but, given my bulging disc issues of the last 15 years...

Among many cars I've owned so far, my favorite seats for long distance driving are:

VW Touareg (Too many electrical gremlins... had to sell it)
Buick Enclave (Crappy car that should be recalled... great seats!... had to sell it)
BMW E30 M3 (Great Recaro seats... before kids... long gone... fun while it lasted).

Others???

I'm considering the new 2017 Honda Ridgeline, but the seats better be WAY more comfortable than my old Ridgeline!

Maybe a 2017 Mercedes GLC???
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

http://www.motortrend.com/news/top-15-most-comfortable-cars/

Test drive a few and see what your butt prefers Laughing
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

One day at the junkyard, I saw a mid 90s Benz S 500. I pulled the driver's seat and mounted it to a old rolling office chair frame and use it as my garage chair. Have taken many naps in it with my feet propped up. Can only imagine that it felt good cruising the highway.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

My bulging disc loves my wifes heated seats, and the adjustable lumbar in my truck. That being said,this is what I got for my street rail.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

As much as I may hate to admit it, my 01 grand caravan has a comfy driver's seat. I've taken it to Florida twice from northwest ohio and several other several-hour trips without complaint or discomfort. I drove my 03 jetta to south carolina last spring and was pretty comfy in it the whole time, and we've done a couple 400+ mile trips in my wife's 00 new beetle and it was fairly decent. Maybe I don't know what true driving comfort is though, hard to say. I learned in a 73 super of my brother's, owned a 73 standard, and a handful of minitrucks, all lowered with different seats than what they came with. I had Shelby Daytona seats in one of my trucks, they were awesome for keeping you wrapped up but I never drove more than 100 miles away while i had it...

least comfortable I've owned was a 91 S-10.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

I had a '78 Olds 98 that had seats just like an expensive leather couch.
Worst seats?-------a toss up between a '54 Austin Healey, or any '66 or older VW.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

I travel mostly in full-size, late model pickups. Without a doubt, Dodge seats will make you wish you were not born with a spine. I think they design for and sell trucks to guys with double ovens for asses and big enough backfat pits to smuggle parrots over the border. GMC/Chev a little better. Toyota Tundra the best of those three. Never had a recent Ford ride, for all it's worth...

Indeed, Honda seats are great. My wife's 2003 Pilot is still a comfortable long-haul driver. Honda does not know how to make an uncomfortable anything.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

Indeed, Honda seats are great... Honda does not know how to make an uncomfortable anything.

Couldn't disagree more. My '08 Ridgeline RTL's leather seats SUCK!!! They sucked from new (day one) and suck now 8 years and 80K miles later. I love the truck and even want a new 2017 Ridgeline... but I won't buy it unless Honda has seriously improved the comfort of the seats!!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Of course, when I was younger it didn't matter at all but, given my bulging disc issues of the last 15 years...

Among many cars I've owned so far, my favorite seats for long distance driving are:

VW Touareg (Too many electrical gremlins... had to sell it)
Buick Enclave (Crappy car that should be recalled... great seats!... had to sell it)
BMW E30 M3 (Great Recaro seats... before kids... long gone... fun while it lasted).

Others???

I'm considering the new 2017 Honda Ridgeline, but the seats better be WAY more comfortable than my old Ridgeline!

Maybe a 2017 Mercedes GLC???

Of all the cars I've owned the most comfortable seats had to the crushed velour harvest gold color 8 way adjustable ones found in my 1976 Lincoln Continental Town Car. Many reading this have no idea what it's like to pilot a 5,000 pound chunk of Detroit iron at 80+ MPH while a nearly 500 cubic inch engine purrs at low rpms and you steer the over assisted beast with one finger. They haven't made this type of ride since the late 70s, its an experience from a bygone era.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

I have a electrick recliner that's great for long drives.I peroidicly do a few hundred miles at a time in it.next sunday Ill try to do around 600 miles just going for a coke~a~cola. but mostly I like doing it 1/4 mile at a time....and road race corses....both the outer course and the innercourse Shocked gotta have those pit stops Wink .
my bug has some of those APC yingyang type seats in it that kinda rap around you and have many belt slots in them for racing harness's. there kinda hard fealing ...but comfortable at the same time. they have been in there for about 10 years, still look like new and match the rear seat, witch match the car,yeller with black stripe incerts,(all professionaly done)as I keep covers on the fronts and change the covers out yearly. so there may be a dragon or a cow driving any given year Wink the lepard just didn't look right.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

Of all the cars and trucks we have owned the most comfortable seats for the long run had to be in our 1971 Citroen DS 21. Amazing what the suspension didn't soak up the seats did the rest. We have one with leather and the other cloth seats.
We stuck a cloth set in our Zoombuggy but the weather got the best of the foam rubber.
My wife's Volvo station wagon leather seats ranks right up there with all the adjustments and heat.
Worst had to be TR3 seats
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

I'd love to know if any other cars have it, but my '97 Lincoln Continental is the only one I've owned that had heated seats with a separate control for the back and the butt. So you could put heat on your sore back without roasting your ass. It also had an inflatable lumbar bladder you could crank up to provide great support.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

Recaro KR
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

One of the most comfy seats I drove across country in was an 84 FWD toyota corona. You could drive for hours- then find a covert parking spot and recline all the way to the back seat.

Having the fearless "Cookiedog" pit boxer cross for security lets you sleep like a baby all night.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

My mother had a Mercedes GL450 that was a highway queen. Air suspension made for the smoothest ride I've ever experienced.

Excluding inordinately expensive, complicated and unreliable SUV's, two of my favorites are actually the cars that myself and my partner drive now. My 2012 CC has an excellent ride on the highway, and his 2005 Passat wagon has some of the most comfortable seats I've ever encountered in a car. And one of the only cars I've driven that has lower back support that I can get adjusted just right.

Most comfortable seats I ever rode in though...definitely the recliner-like seats in the front of my mom's '01 Volvo wagon.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

1974-78 Cadillac Eldorado Barittz with pillow top seat option. Like a cloud. My 77 Gran Fury with its "couch" bench seat is pretty dang comfy for my 6'6" self. oddly, lowback beetle seats do me good as well. Mitsubishi makes a good bucket seat for Bus swaps.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Most comfortable car/seats for long distance driving Reply with quote

One of our cars is an "Acura MDX" with the leather package and I'll have to say next to the 78 Cadillac Deville, the "Acura" seats are the most comfortable I've ever owned!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: