Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do I belong.....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Just picked up this run down 1987 Kombi from a local guy in Brazil. This thing needs help. I'm not in a super rush, but I didn't want to be sitting around for the next three months waiting the find the right Kombi before getting to work...then spending another three months building the thing.

I'm posted up in Iguazu, which is a little home away from home for me. I have Ciudad Del Este just 15 minutes away, in Paraguay where I can buy essentially anything I could ever need, and a safe shipping address there where I can get things ordered directly from Amazon US. I have a lot of local friends, as well as free accommodation, food and space to build this hunk of metal. There is a fairly active VW group here, and they have already offered to help me cut some wood, turn wrenches and if need be, put out any potential fires. If you would like to join the discussion, or happen to be passing through Iguazu Falls, Brazil... come say hello right mmmmhere.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734679203439187/p...7947972093

After ten months of backpacking South America, five of which have been with my dog of almost seven years...I got sick of bribing busses and finding hostels. I finally broke down and purchased this Kombi for a whopping $1200 USD. Score. After lots of researching, I stumbled upon Bens journey, Hasta Alaska and realized "S&%^" I'm not ready for this. -Insert gun to head emoji -

I will be following the same path, through Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Chile... you know the rest. San Diego is home for me, but, I will continue to drive to Alaska and visit my favorite of all 50 states, for the third time.

So, I'm pretty technically savvy. I've build some cars from the ground up, specifically MR2's and old 70's Broncos. I have some pretty technical and problem solving skills from 10 years in the Coast Guard working on boats, and I know my way around the wood. - That's what she said

So. First off, I don't even know what I have. I googled "1987 Kombi" and got almost no results. Point me to some good reading resources puhhhlease.

Things that need fixing...
First of, I want this car to be as little dependant on the electrical system as possible aside from Starting, Headlights, Windshield wipers. The electric windows are toast, and I have every intention of swapping them to mechanical. All the interior lights will be replaced with rechargeable Li-Ion lights and I won't even bother installing a radio. A decent bluetooth wireless speaker will do it for me. This way, thieves will look in the window and it's one less thing to attract them. I will install a completely separate 12v Deep Cycle for all the other nonsense and currently researching solar options. I ordered some 12mil window film to prevent smash and grabs and will install some sort of interior dead bolts. I will also build a blockade type doodad to wall-off the front and rear compartment. It will be easily removable. I'm going to probably switch to whisperlite stoves since they basically run off anything flamable and I don't need to worry about not having a gas tank. Roof rack, spare wheels/tires/gas cans...stuff like that. I won't be living in this thing 365. I am not really on a tight budget so a few airbnbs, hostels, couchsurfing thrown in the mix. Places to charge batteries and stuff.

Ok, you made it this far. Thank you.
Let's. Talk. Motor.
Ben is 10 engines deep. Wooop! Poor feller. Based on his FAQ, Overheating/Overworking the engine is the main culprit. So first order of business. Oil temp and Oil Pressure gauges. Yeah? Replace all fuel lines with the cloth coated type and if possible, steel braid? New fuel filter? I read somewhere a lot of people remove the optional second fuel filter that people had a habit of installing. Also, I found a great DIY automatic engine fire suppression system I'll probably take a shot at. Steering...oh god this steering is garbage. I have about 90deg of freeplay before I can actually turn the wheel. I've actually considered forking over the $900 for the Power Steering unit from LiteSteer. But first, I'm going to get it in the air and check the tierods, endlinks, ball joints...everything and see what needs replacing. All four tires are going to get replaced, the suspension will all be replaced....

Thoughts thought thoughts.... ok. That enough rambling for now. Enjoy these photos =)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

I have a short attention span, so Ill address the fuel lines. The braided cloth lines are garbage. I don't know what type of gas is sold in your area, but since you plan to drive it in the USA you need a top quality hose such as Gates Barricade. It is designed to handle fuels with ethanol. The braided line does not play well with ethanol, they can leak and cause a fire. You have a "baywindow" bus. Peruse that thread here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
There are quite a few savvy bus pilots there with mucho knowledge.

Good luck.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

I like to use outboard motor marine fuel hose.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

why not use your other thread rather than starting another one introducing yourself again

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8087098&highlight=#8087098
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

Steve look at the date. This was in "General/Chat" before he posted on this forum. One of our astute Mods moved it to here.

Edit: It seems to have been duplicated not moved. It's still over there.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
why not use your other thread rather than starting another one introducing yourself again

Yes, please do that.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porky79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Yes, please do that.

Drakeskakes wrote:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'm posted up in Iguazu, which is a little home away from home for me. I have Ciudad Del Este just 15 minutes away, in Paraguay where I can buy essentially anything I could ever need, and a safe shipping address there where I can get things ordered directly from Amazon US. I have a lot of local friends, as well as free accommodation, food and space to build this hunk of metal. There is a fairly active VW group here, and they have already offered to help me cut some wood, turn wrenches and if need be, put out any potential fires.

WTF ?? This one has much more background detail. You lucky Bastard...
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

Drakeskakes wrote:
... Just picked up this run down 1987 Kombi from a local guy in Brazil. ... I don't even know what I have. I googled "1987 Kombi" and got almost no results ... I am not really on a tight budget ... this steering is garbage. I have about 90deg of freeplay before I can actually turn the wheel. I've actually considered forking over the $900 for the Power Steering unit from LiteSteer. ...

Where do you belong? Hopefully right here where you are. 1987 makes me think of a Vanagon, but you clearly have an aircooled bay window with extra windows. What engine do you have? Post some photos of the engine bay. Not on a tight budget and sloppy steering? The LiteSteer sounds like a really good idea, but the prices are going to be higher than you posted. A steering box and front end work might resolve your steering slop. I love my '69 camper, but the power steering in my '87 Vanagon makes for easier driving. On the roads that you'll be on the power steering would be a big bonus, but $$$ or £££.

Did one of your hubcaps get stolen while you were sitting on the roof?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

Here's another 1987 Kombi.

https://en.wheelsage.org/category/auto-expo/90983/pictures/blc8fo

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Fri May 27, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porky79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

now I'm LAMFAO at me !!! I didn't pay attention to the lie.. I wanted to see something better.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

That is a fun bay, corner windows are silly cool. My friend just found this Argentinian bay, fun buses. Cool

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Where do I belong..... Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Where do you belong? Hopefully right here where you are. 1987 makes me think of a Vanagon, but you clearly have an aircooled bay window with extra windows. What engine do you have? Post some photos of the engine bay. Not on a tight budget and sloppy steering? The LiteSteer sounds like a really good idea, but the prices are going to be higher than you posted. A steering box and front end work might resolve your steering slop. I love my '69 camper, but the power steering in my '87 Vanagon makes for easier driving. On the roads that you'll be on the power steering would be a big bonus, but $$$ or £££.

Did one of your hubcaps get stolen while you were sitting on the roof?

Aloha
tp

I spoke with the owner of a 14 window a while back. He was telling me the bus has many more split window parts than bay and or for interchange. The front end is narrower than a bay even though it looks like a Germany bay. IIRC the windshield is different.
Just some information as I know it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: