Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy here
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinny Finns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: New guy here Reply with quote

Been down the classic American road before, this time decided to go with a fun classic... one with little chance of rust!

Found this little beauty after I decided I wanted to buy a Manx style buggy and build one to a late 60's period style. The story I was told by the previous owner is I am now owner 3. The original owner bought the '60 Beetle new in '60 and drove it till approx '68 when he started reading about the Manx "craze" in California. Being a mechanical engineer, he parked the Beetle, cruised on down to the local department store to buy the tub, and built it over the next 2-3 years. The original owner died and his family sold the buggy to the guy I bought it from back in 2010. He said the only thing that has been added since the original build was the lead-foot gas pedal and the surfboard center-view mirror. I was skeptical but everything seems to add up.

I called Coker Tire to inquire about replacement tires for the Mickey Thompson Racing Profile nylon belted J60-14s that were on it. The rep I was speaking to on the other end of the phone didn't believe me when I told him they were J60-14's... He says... "they haven't made those tires in 40 years, go back out and make sure they aren't J40-15's." Indeed, they are J60-14's and the DOT on the side-walls are from the 14th week of 1978! Instead of finding replacement tires and taking the chance of damaging the original sidewalls I opted for a new wheel/tire combo for driveability and if I decide to go to a vintage show, I can put the OG wheels/tire back on. American Racing Torque Thrust II's 15X8 out back with 275 60/R15s and 14X6 with 205 70/R14s up front. BFGs of course.

Chrome Superior shifter with wood ball knob, Superior wooden steering wheel, and wood-handled Superior parking brake handle.

I think my favorite detail about her is the tag on the inside of the top which reads... "Custom top made especially for you by Ye Olde Top Shoppe Rock Creek, Oh".

Also, a little borrow from another air-cooled vehicle of the day... the taillights are the outer units from a Corvair Greenbrier van or rampside pick-up. Cool little touch, I thought!

And if it was all just a "story", I still dig it anyways! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Awesome..... Welcome to your new obsession..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Vinny Finns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Awesome..... Welcome to your new obsession..

Dale

Thanks! I've had to make a few other repairs since I bought it but it seems to be straight for the time being. The rear parking and brake lights were inop, shocking I know, and the parking brake cables came apart after maybe the third time lifting the handle. All fixed now and moving right along.

I have owned a myriad of vehicles, new and old, and this one definitely takes the most "involvement" while driving! LOL! I think mostly due to it being such a short wheelbase.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Looking good, Vinny,

Your dune buggy certainly has character. There are a few dune buggy related activities coming up here on the east coast later this year, just so you know:

Manx on the Glen, July 22 - 24 (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643750&sid=edbf48631161298c1f996be66f5e21e7)

Manx on the Banx, October 10 - 15 (http://www.manxonthebanx.com, Manx Club membership required for this event)

There is also Manx In The Middle to be held in Collinsville, Ill, September 8 - 11 (http://www.eastcoastdunebuggies.com/mitm.htm, Manx Club membership is required for this event)

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Vinny Finns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Thanks, and thanks for the heads up!

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

If buggy has handling issues (wanders around alot) check to see if it does not have caster shims behind lower tube of front beams.....

Buggy should handle good and straight even at speed if alIgnment and caster is correct...

If it does not have shims, it should...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Vinny Finns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
If buggy has handling issues (wanders around alot) check to see if it does not have caster shims behind lower tube of front beams.....

Buggy should handle good and straight even at speed if alIgnment and caster is correct...

If it does not have shims, it should...

Dale

Buggy wandered it's ass off when it had fatties on all four corners. Now that I changed the wheels and tires out I can hold the wheel with one hand while driving. That being said, I'd still like to check that out, do you have any example pics of where those should be?

Thanks again!
kool64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

hey Vinny,

I actually saw this buggy for sale and was very interested. The only reason I didn't pursue, was we were on opposite ends of the country. I ended up finding one around my area. I'm glad someone snagged it up to enjoy it.

Great find and have fun !!

Mark
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

I don't have a picture but the shims go behind the lower tube of the front beam, 1 on each side.
Their effect is to give more rearward kingpin inclination, more caster.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Nice choice on the wheels and tires, they look great with all the old-school details. I love the custom paint work and top. I have similar taste in rolling stock...

Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here Reply with quote

Beautiful - a time machine - good catch.

Jim
Manx #2614
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: