Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Hello, I am Jake. I figured I would create an introductory post to display what I've got and give a little background information on myself.

Myself
I am a graduate of Indiana University with a Bachelors in Graphic Design, as well as a graduate of Ivy Tech University with an Associates in PC Support and Administration. I've loved cars since before I could drive. I've owned a strange few, from my first vehicle being a 1990 Ford Bronco, to a 1995 Nissan 200sx, and currently a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've learned all that I know through the use of forums, as well as trial and error mechanics, and I've gathered the wisdom from anyone willing to teach me. My uncle has a knack for collecting projects and being a perfectionist, while my father is less of a perfectionist and more of a "let's find out if it works" type of guy.

Here I am, standing next to my uncles '59 Bug Eye Sprite.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Beetle.
The Beetle I will be buying is a 1974 VW Super Beetle. It was purchased new by my aunts' husband's mother, in 1974. She kept it up until her death in the early 2000's, sometime around 2003. My aunts daughter (my cousin) was willed the Beetle and has owned it ever since. The odometer reads 83,XXX miles, and I believe it to be accurate due to the original owners age. It's been parked since 2008, but it actually spent most of its life outside in the Indiana elements.

As Far As I Know...
The Beetle has had the fenders replaced by the original owner and it was also re-sprayed its original color (I do believe) by Maaco, who are not known for their stupendous paint jobs. When my cousin received the Beetle, she had the entire interior reupholstered, floor pans replaced, new tires installed, and some light mechanical work done to it.

The Predicament
Having been a car lover my entire teenage-adult life, I was never really fond of vintage Beetles. I had loved cars, but they were mostly the stereotypical ones that people usually flock to. The same thing goes for my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, my daily driver. I had always hated the look of the vehicle until I had actually sat in the drivers seat and turned the key. My enthusiasm for older cars eventually caught up with me, and I began to become really enthralled by Volvo 240s, BMW 2002s, and any Vintage Import, odd cars in general. Then one day I found myself eyeing the Beetle.

The Agreement
My cousin has been trying to sell the Beetle, un-agressively for the past couple of years. Her times of daily driving it are over and she wants the reliability and comfort of something newer.
While helping her with yard work just the other day, I was putting the mower into the garage and I saw the sad heap of boxes that rested on top of the Beetle, and something came over me to inquire about it. She asked me what I was thinking price-wise, which was lower than I had previously given her while she was considering selling it privately. We worked out a deal on the difference. With half of the money up front, she would release the title to me as long as I agreed to a strict payment plan for the remainder of the money. I would also have to help her fix up her less-used daily driver, and sell it for as much as I could, to make up the difference.

Currently
I am procuring the funding for the Beetle. But as cool as my cousin is, she decided to give me the keys to the Beetle, the manuals that came with, and a key to her garage to freely work on it over the next couple months until it becomes mine. She's excited that it will be staying within the family.

Today, 5/18/2016 I went over to see if I could actually fit inside of the Beetle. I'm about 6'2" with a bulky build at about 260 pounds. Id ridden in the Beetle when I was younger, but it hadn't been driven since 2008. I wanted to clean it off, pull it out into the light, and take as many pictures as possible to get an idea of what all was wrong with it. With the key in the ignition, the seat belt fastened (as I had learned a couple of months back, allows the starter to start the bug), I cranked it over and it eventually roared into life. After multiple attempts to back it out of the garage, the body would move a bit, but the wheels were stuck. I decided to get out, and use my legs to push on each tire lightly, eventually resulting in a slight pop, and the un-seizing of the brakes. I pulled the car out into the light and began to check it out.

I could not manage to get the back of the seat to fold down.

I assume something along the lines of stuffing from the seat, falling out?

Video of it running, sounds a bit rough with the occasional misfire. As the title says, I've never had a vehicle with a carburetor before. I rebuild a few for a 1967 Honda 305 Scrambler I've also working on, but its nowhere near complete. Now i'll be looking into a tune up to get it running a bit more smoothly.
http://vid575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/j_colee...bau7ob.mp4

While I had it out, I decided to take it for a little spin down the alley and back. Being a decent driver with a manual transmission, I could barely keep the thing running. The clutch felt as though it was only engaging a moment before you were all the way out of it, resulting in me killing it around 10 or 12 times. When I finally managed to get it back to the garage, two older gentlemen were watching me, one waiting to tell me that it needed a tuneup, and the other telling me a story about him and his buddies stationed in Europe and their time driving all over in a Split Window VW.

I look forward to reading and learning a lot. I know that with my Jeep, the forum I am part of has been great and the knowledge I've gained there has helped me in tons of situations.

As for the future, I don't want to keep it completely stock. With my interest in vehicles with knobby tires, I've read over a few of the Class 11 Look-Alike builds and that kind of seems like something I might want to aim towards.

Thanks for letting me be here.

-Jake
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Great story.
Welcome to the samba.
That is a great car as is. Wash it and see what's underneath all that dust.
The interior looks nice as well.
FYI supers don't make good lifted offroad cars. The front suspension is McPherson strut. The shock towers are attached to the body of the car limiting the suspension travel up front. But it's your car so do what you feel is right for your tastes.
Give it a bath and brakes then a tune up and see what you got. I bet you'll get lots of compliments on the condition of the car as is. Hell you have already had a guy regaling you with his over sea's story. Get used to that Very Happy happens all the time.
make sure to use the search feature here. Many of your questions have already been asked in the past. When you get stuck post a question.
Please upload your pics to the samba galleries that way they are here for future reference.
Have a great week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

The car actually looks pretty good; especially since it spent most of its life outside in Northern Indiana.

I assume the oil needs changing immediately. The carburetor may also need a bit of cleaning, perhaps the fuel tank, too. Definitely replace all the fuel lines.

Killing the engine again and again is not good for the engine. Perhaps the clutch needs adjustment. You should have about 3/4 inch free play at the pedal before encountering resistance. Press the pedal by hand to check.

Google this: VW Resource. Rob and Dave have a lot of good information there.

I also own a 1974 Super Beetle. Once you get yours running well, you'll see why these little cars were so popular back in the day. My bug is the only car I won that I still enjoy whil driving.

Push seat seat back all the way, and tilt the upper part of the seat back, too. You'll fit.

There is also a way to jumper the ignition system so you don't have to have your seat belt fastened to start it. I'm surprised yours is still intact.

Remember, 18 pounds in the front tires, 29 in the rear. Your sticker in the glove box will support this, so don't let anyone tell you differently.

Ask here before working on things. Most of us have made a great many mistakes over the years. You may as well learn from them.

Have fun,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Great story.
Welcome to the samba.
That is a great car as is. Wash it and see what's underneath all that dust.
The interior looks nice as well.
FYI supers don't make good lifted offroad cars. The front suspension is McPherson strut. The shock towers are attached to the body of the car limiting the suspension travel up front. But it's your car so do what you feel is right for your tastes.
Give it a bath and brakes then a tune up and see what you got. I bet you'll get lots of compliments on the condition of the car as is. Hell you have already had a guy regaling you with his over sea's story. Get used to that Very Happy happens all the time.
make sure to use the search feature here. Many of your questions have already been asked in the past. When you get stuck post a question.
Please upload your pics to the samba galleries that way they are here for future reference.
Have a great week.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to use the gallery from now on, it might be simpler than the way I currently do it.

A bath is definitely on the menu, I've got to go over and work on the van (her lesser daily-driver, as seen in one of the pictures) and ill see if I can wash away some of the dust. From what she's told me, she spent a weekend washing the car once, trying to get the coat to buff out and shine with no luck. I'm hoping I might be able to produce different results, but we'll see.

As for lifting it, I don't plan on doing any serious off-roading with it. I'll definitely take that into consideration though when examining the different avenues I could go with the car. Thanks for the information.

Tim Donahoe wrote:

The car actually looks pretty good; especially since it spent most of its life outside in Northern Indiana.

I assume the oil needs changing immediately. The carburetor may also need a bit of cleaning, perhaps the fuel tank, too. Definitely replace all the fuel lines.

Killing the engine again and again is not good for the engine. Perhaps the clutch needs adjustment. You should have about 3/4 inch free play at the pedal before encountering resistance. Press the pedal by hand to check.

Google this: VW Resource. Rob and Dave have a lot of good information there.

I also own a 1974 Super Beetle. Once you get yours running well, you'll see why these little cars were so popular back in the day. My bug is the only car I won that I still enjoy whil driving.

Push seat seat back all the way, and tilt the upper part of the seat back, too. You'll fit.

There is also a way to jumper the ignition system so you don't have to have your seat belt fastened to start it. I'm surprised yours is still intact.

Remember, 18 pounds in the front tires, 29 in the rear. Your sticker in the glove box will support this, so don't let anyone tell you differently.

Ask here before working on things. Most of us have made a great many mistakes over the years. You may as well learn from them.

Have fun,

Tim

Thanks for the welcome!

I previously said a couple of months, but it was probably more like a year and a couple of months ago, my cousin had mentioned to me about selling the Beetle and had asked if I could check it over, being the family mechanic and what not. While trying to start it, that's when I learned and she re-learned about the safety switch for the ignition within the seat belt and the seat. While trying to get it running, I installed a new fuel filter and some new fuel lines, but obviously not throughout the entire system. I'm definitely adding that to my to-do list.

After posting my introductory post, I started looking through the owners manual and the repair manual that she had in the car. I discovered how to change the oil, which is definitely unlike my Jeep, and I also discovered how to adjust the clutch pedal. I do think that it does need adjusted. I remember when she used to drive it, she always took off rather quick and I think it was most likely due to that extremely quick engagement.

There was some stuff I forgot to look at today, due to sensory overload. I never even opened the glove box, which I just read, would have allowed me to open the front trunk, which I thought might be stuck. I do think the fuel tank is close to empty and she may have put something in it to try and get the fuel to keep.

I also felt a little worried when it kept stalling. I knew it definitely wasn't good for any engine.

I've got an attack plan mapped out, and i'll look into the resources you've given me.

I did find out that I actually fit pretty well in the Beetle, with the seat all the way back. And while reading the manual, I also learned how to fold down the rear seat to create a level shelf.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I hope you give this little bug some new life. Looks like a survivor just waiting for another chance Smile

The stuff from the seats is probably the OEM horsehair padding, it dissolves after these many years. Wolfsburg West sells all the seat pad stuff, some also replace with foam pads.

But that's later on, suggest as you are doing to continue to work the basics on driveline, brakes, suspension. Hopefully the electrical is ok.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Looks like a very clean unmolested Super. Clean it up, tune it up, and drive it!

I would suggest you get to know it mechanically before thinking about modifications. It'll take some time of driving it to learn to speak its language.

Here are the things you should do first:

1) Change the oil.
2) Change the brake fluid unless it's been done within the past 2 years.
3) Check/adjust valve clearance
4) Check/adjust points gap to .016"
5) Check/adjust ignition timing (if you adjust the points gap you will have to re-adjust the ignition timing)
6) Check transmission oil level
7) Hit any/all grease fittings in the front end with a grease gun

Note: there should be two red lights in the speedometer that come on when you turn the key on. One of them is the low oil pressure warning light and the other is the alternator/charging system warning light. In your photo I only see one of them on. You need to get both of those working properly before you drive the car.

You may have to adjust the clutch free play, it is adjusted with a wing nut on the clutch cable at the transmission end of the cable. You should have about 3/4" free play at the pedal.

Both of them should go out after engine start. If either of them ever come on while driving STOP IMMEDIATELY and find out why.

In most cars the alternator light is no cause for concern in the sense that your battery is not likely being charged but you'll probably make it home. In the VW, the engine cooling fan is mounted on the same shaft as the alternator. If the belt breaks and the alternator stops spinning, the cooling fan is no longer spinning either. If you keep driving, meltdown is assured. So if that light ever comes on while driving you at least have to stop and make sure the belt is intact. If the belt is good then carry on. If the belt has broken, don't drive until you fix it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

The car looks good, clean out the fuel tank/lines for sure. Clean and vacuum out the car. Oh ya keep it like it is stock. The supers are not for the off road crowd, find a Baja for that. Look at the date codes on the tires how old are they? The seventy four like all of the type one VW's have one year only parts on them. You will find out as time goes on.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Sweet ride! I was just thinking how lucky I would be if I could find a clean '74 just like that!

You need to dig a little deeper and see if there is any major rust in the common places. Give these threads a read:
Super Beetle Buyers Guide (what to look for)
Buying a Beetle (VW Resources)
Late Model FAQ
Buying a used 1974 beetle, what do I look for?

Oh, and welcome to TheSamba. Very Happy
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I'll definitely be reading over the FAQ section and figuring out what to look for while working on it.

I'll be heading over to her house tomorrow morning, we have plans to go pick up a battery for the van I am helping her sell. I'm going to hopefully have that up and running pretty quickly, and have some of the electrical gremlins ironed out, which will allot me some time to check out the Beetle some more.

I've compiled a list that i'll be taking over with me to ensure that I hit everything that has been covered. I'll be able to get the front hood open now that I know about the lever in the glove box, and see what kind of treasures are in there. (My cousin, aunt, and mother used to own and operate an eBay business.)

I'll also have to pick up some new tools to check things like the valve clearance, and talk to my uncle about possibly helping me check the timing or hand me down some tools that may help. His garage is a chaotic mess of everything under the sun. He's currently working on a 1972 C10, a 1959 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite, and a 1976 Triumph TR6. So he may know what I'm referring to. Laughing

As for direction, it seems that it will most likely change after reading the FAQ about the Supers vs. Standards. I assume lowering it may prove just as difficult? I'll definitely be driving the Beetle around in its stock form for a great while. I've got a lot on my plate in general, my Jeep i'm constantly trying to improve, I've got a girlfriend who's suspiciously calm that I'm buying a Beetle and not an engagement ring, (not that she really enjoys the Beetle, but maybe she'll come around?) and the relocating that would follow.

I'll fill you guys in on what happens tomorrow! Luckily my cousin's husband does PC Support for a living, and their garage is wired up with WIFI.

-Jake
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Do those vintage British cars use metric tools, or Thorensen (sic)? I used to own a 1956 Triumph mc and it had English threads and tools. It's been a while, but it seems like the tools were a weird size--not metric.

If you want to lower the car, go to Topline for Super Beetle front end stuff. They have good stuff, and specialize in Supers. I'd be surprised if you didn't have some front end items that need attention.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

JCrimson wrote:
I'll also have to pick up some new tools to check things like the valve clearance, and talk to my uncle about possibly helping me check the timing or hand me down some tools that may help. His garage is a chaotic mess of everything under the sun. He's currently working on a 1972 C10, a 1959 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite, and a 1976 Triumph TR6. So he may know what I'm referring to. Laughing

To set the timing you need to use a stroboscopic timing light and set it to book spec (assuming you have the stock distributor, which it appears that you do). If anyone tries to tell you or show you how to "time it by ear," smack 'em upside the head. But most importantly, don't do that, you'll nuke the engine.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I spoke with my uncle about him having a stroboscopic timing light. He does have one and is willing to lend me a hand when I perform the tune up and set the timing.

I wasn't able to mess with the Beetle today, sadly. I spent the morning getting the van running, and by the way that it looks for tomorrow, I'll be re-doing/adjusting the rear drums on my girlfriends Jeep. I did manage to pick up a set of feeler gauges though to add to my vintage arsenal.

I've been shopping tune up components for the past couple of days. I've seen many posts on what to do while performing a tune up, and extremely basic recommendations for components. I'm trying to shop in the same place to cut down on shipping costs. I am a member of Amazon Prime, which would make shipping cheap, but some of the components are of ill-review, such as their valve cover gaskets.

I've sourced some parts on rockauto, including the NGK br6hs spark plugs, IAP Copper Core Wireset, and Airtrec/Wells cap, rotor, and points, and lastly a WIX air filter. How finicky are these Beetles with parts? I've still got the valve cover gaskets to source, and the oil change kit.

-Jake
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

"How finicky are these Beetles with parts?"

I find my Bugs not to be very finicky at all. They'll run under the most difficult of circumstances with the most horrible of parts.

That being said, it's always best to use the finest quality parts you can find or afford. I usually get the cheapest crap money can buy and take my chances. Many times I use old OEM parts instead of new aftermarket parts. I also often suffer from having to alter and butcher things into operation and having to repeat repairs more frequently.

Then again, I'm an old cheap SOB with nothing better to do....actually, I'm more poor than cheap.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Welcome and a couple comments:

If the mileage is real, dig through her receipts to see if she ever had work done on the front end. If not you should budget for that. I would suggest getting the car up in the air as soon as you can you fully inspect the ball joints, tie rod ends etc. Topline sells the best front end rebuild kit out there. $400 or so for everything and plan on a full day if its your first one and you will need to have some bushings pressed out.

If you need to replace the clutch, its not a huge deal and would be a good experience - a quality clutch kit will set you back maybe $150 (get Sachs). You do need to drop the engine and that tends to lead to other things that need done (like transaxle mount replacements etc)

Parts suppliers - Have not found Rock Auto to be all that great IMHO. My local Carquest can get some of the stuff, but I tend to stick mostly with dedicated vintage VW suppliers. CIP1 and Wolfsburg West are my 2 primary suppliers.

Book you should have - John Muir "How to keep your VW Alive" You may already have it. Its a great introduction to the cars and covers most normal repairs using normal hand tools.

Final note - These cars attract attention. I can pull in to get gas and there could be a Challenger Hellcat next to me. People come over to see the bug.

Final final note - take your time, get to know the car and just get it running right. They are pretty easy to work on and you have already been given a lot of good advice.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.
Wow - pretty clean, barn-fresh & w/ orig owner's manual.
It's your call, but can not see any reason to hack this beauty into a CL 11 clone or whatever.

Suggest finding one that's already been modified for any OR duties.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

Note: there should be two red lights in the speedometer that come on when you turn the key on. One of them is the low oil pressure warning light and the other is the alternator/charging system warning light. In your photo I only see one of them on. You need to get both of those working properly before you drive the car.

I haven't actually messed with the car since my first post. Tonight I went over to pull it out of the garage and hopefully clean it up. I did start it when trying to put it back, due to a small incline at the mouth of the garage. This time I noticed the lights, both do come on when the key is in the ON position, and they both go out once the car has been started.

I also did manage to get into the trunk, but as soon as I set my new "emergency roadside" kit into it, and closed the hood, it decided that it would not open again.

goober wrote:

"How finicky are these Beetles with parts?"

I find my Bugs not to be very finicky at all. They'll run under the most difficult of circumstances with the most horrible of parts.

That being said, it's always best to use the finest quality parts you can find or afford. I usually get the cheapest crap money can buy and take my chances. Many times I use old OEM parts instead of new aftermarket parts. I also often suffer from having to alter and butcher things into operation and having to repeat repairs more frequently.

Then again, I'm an old cheap SOB with nothing better to do....actually, I'm more poor than cheap.

andk5591 wrote:

Welcome and a couple comments:

If the mileage is real, dig through her receipts to see if she ever had work done on the front end. If not you should budget for that. I would suggest getting the car up in the air as soon as you can you fully inspect the ball joints, tie rod ends etc. Topline sells the best front end rebuild kit out there. $400 or so for everything and plan on a full day if its your first one and you will need to have some bushings pressed out.

If you need to replace the clutch, its not a huge deal and would be a good experience - a quality clutch kit will set you back maybe $150 (get Sachs). You do need to drop the engine and that tends to lead to other things that need done (like transaxle mount replacements etc)

Parts suppliers - Have not found Rock Auto to be all that great IMHO. My local Carquest can get some of the stuff, but I tend to stick mostly with dedicated vintage VW suppliers. CIP1 and Wolfsburg West are my 2 primary suppliers.

Book you should have - John Muir "How to keep your VW Alive" You may already have it. Its a great introduction to the cars and covers most normal repairs using normal hand tools.

Final note - These cars attract attention. I can pull in to get gas and there could be a Challenger Hellcat next to me. People come over to see the bug.

Final final note - take your time, get to know the car and just get it running right. They are pretty easy to work on and you have already been given a lot of good advice.

I ended up ordering the parts from RockAuto. Mainly I want to get this Beetle going again, and driving. With the funding I have, ill stick with the cheap parts until I notice something acting incorrectly. I'm not necessarily sure the current parts are even that old. Tomorrow i'll be installing most of the parts, and I'll be sure to take some pictures.

I've got a repair manual for the Beetle, but I'm assuming its something closer to a Haynes style manual, not the John Muir book. I've added that to my Amazon wish list and will be purchasing it shortly.

Thanks for the welcome and the comments! I've been consistently researching on this forum, nightly, as quickly as I think up something to ask.

FeelthySanchez wrote:

Welcome aboard.
Wow - pretty clean, barn-fresh & w/ orig owner's manual.
It's your call, but can not see any reason to hack this beauty into a CL 11 clone or whatever.

Suggest finding one that's already been modified for any OR duties.

Thanks for the insight. I've actually crawled away from that initial plan. After a fair bit of light research and some of the comments of other forum users, the Beetle will most likely stay in stock-height form. I definitely do not want to hack into anything, but I think I'm probably try to make it rally-esque after I've driven it for a bit, and have sorted out all of the things that would prevent it from being a daily driver.

I cant wait to drive it. Cool

As for 5/24/2016 I went over to my cousins to lay hands on the Beetle once more! With a weekend full of other projects, I've finally got them all squared away (happy girlfriend now that her rear drums aren't locking up) and a happy cousin, now that I have a potential buyer for the van. My new parts came in today,

Air Filter
    Oil Screen
    NGK Plugs
    Distributor Cap
    Distributor Rotor
    Two Windshield Wipers
    Ignition Points
    Spark Plug Wires

I'm hopefully going to be up in the morning, early enough to get these all squared away before work at 3.Along with a bath and some more rust inspection, I'm going to try to drain the fuel tomorrow. I know some of you have mentioned cleaning, but would cleaning entail running something through the fuel system or just filling with fresh fuel? I've also got to look up the routing of the fuel lines that run underneath the car. Once I perform the tune up, I will not be starting it again until Monday. My uncle is planning on coming into town to help me get the engine timed. I will also not have fresh oil, until the strainer gasket arrives on Friday. I am still waiting on the condenser, and the valve cover gaskets.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

JCrimson wrote:
I've also got to look up the routing of the fuel lines that run underneath the car.

You won't find much under there. There's only one fuel line from front to rear and it's a steel line that runs inside the central chassis tunnel. So there's a rubber hose from bottom of the tank to the steel line up front and then a rubber hose from the outlet of the steel line up above the transmission which runs to the rear. Where the fuel line passes through the engine tin there should be a metal fuel line segment there which has a rubber grommet around it to protect it as it passes through the tin. Make sure that grommet is in good shape, as they get old and the rubber breaks down, the tin can saw through the metal fuel line over time and then you got a problem.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Get her cleaned up and take some pictures.

*edit* removed most of post

Last edited by Chochobeef on Wed May 25, 2016 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

OP mentioned that the car had a Maaco respray several years back. To the OP, Looks like a pretty nice car! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
JCrimson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VW, New to Vintage Mechanics. 1974 Super Beetle Reply with quote

These images are not in the gallery, due to having lent my iPhone cable out.

Well, I got some things done today before it really heated up outside. I managed to get the front trunk open again, and I greased it with white lithium grease to hopefully prevent a stuck trunk. Before that though, I drug out the 100ft hose beside my cousins home, and rinsed the Beetle off hoping to get the dust off of it. It looks great when it's wet, but almost immediately after it dried, it went back to its dull finish. I was recently gifted an orbital buffer, so I'm going to give that a whirl eventually. I forgot to mention that before my trip to her house, an auto parts store is roughly two blocks away. I stopped in to look into containers for draining the gas into. I managed to pick up a decent sized one for the fuel and another nicer enclosed drain pan for the oil. Eventually i'll get the front end on jack stands and drain the fuel from the tank.

Per my cousin: "Little did you know, that when you wrote that in the dust, you were adding to your future to-do list."

I managed to get more pictures of some of the "problematic" spots on the body. First up is the drivers side door hinge area. Followed up by some shots of where the fenders bolt to the body.

This next picture, I remember being MUCH younger. I saw a running board, so I stepped on it when getting into the vehicle. The bend in it was definitely my fault.

Decided to snap a picture of the radio so that I could look into the specific model. Found it in the database on here. Sadly, it's only AM. I did manage to get it tuned to a station, and found out that the only speaker that works (even though there is one in each door) is the one set into the dash.

After letting it dry, I set into engine work.

"Made in Germany" on the cap.

Had some problems with getting my 5/8 spark plug socket onto the plugs. Decided to take a picture of it to get a better view since the fenders are in the way. Had to run to the store to pick up a 21mm one.

Whoever has done work previously to this Beetle, put in the same plugs that I swapped them out with. The plugs definitely smelled like fuel. I also read that .024 (carbed) and .028 (injection) are the specifications respectfully. With the manual that I have, it does not give a specified gap I assume because it covers a variety of models?

After getting the spark plugs installed, which surprisingly wasn't bad with my enormous hands and the use of universal joints, and the routing of the spark plug wires, I attempted to take off the wire to the ignition coil. While doing this, I accidentally broke the insulator on the coil. A new one has been ordered.

This piece of fuel line and filter was replaced previously, when my cousin asked if I could get it running for her to sell it, 6 months or so, ago. Another old hose decided to split in half, coming from the breather area on the distributor, leading to the carburetor. I assume I can replace this, and any others that break with fuel line hose?

After breaking the coil, I decided to call it quits for the day. With a call to my brother, I managed to get the Beetle turned around in the garage. This way, i'll be able to work on the engine while in the shade for the remainder of the tune up. More of the parts should be arriving over the next couple of days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: