Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

need your impressions...

Most of the time, I start my '55, no problem and twice now, I have tried to start it and it just cranks and cranks. The first time, I could not get it to start and I was unable to push it up hill into my barn and put it in first gear and turned the ignition key to start, while in gear and allowed the starter gear to slowly drive the car into the barn. Once in place, I tried to start it and it fired right up. that was about a month ago.

Today, I went to start it and again, it just cranked and cranked... was in town this time and again, I ran it off the starter for several feet and shut it off... then, tried starting and it fired right up.

Any impressions of what my problem could be?
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

I don't know if this would be it but on my old '55 Bus the wire that powered the coil at the fuse box was frayed a bit and loose at the fuse box connection.

Everything looked fine but sometimes it wouldn't start - it would just crank and crank.
I stripped the wire back a bit and tightened everything up and it was fine.

I figured it out when I put a multimeter at the coil end and it was reading only 4v and started tracing stuff back.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

... thanks, i'll check that area...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

yah kinda same thought here... Cranky Cranky & cranky and not even popping would have me looking at electric first as well... Unless you not smelling any fuel while its cranking then maybe more than 1 issue going on... So I'll assume it's getting fuel...

Similar problem we had, but not sure if it's your problem, but it may be worth checking...

When we were in the early phase of building our 57 from time to time ours would fire randomly intermittent at startup and began using the usual hunt & peck method (AKA: pulling hair outta yer head) and by sheer dumb luck, we noticed one day that while the ignition key would turn the starter all the long day when pushing it to start we found the actual ignition contact was worn (or broken) and the only way we stumbled on the problem was when it was running fine one day, was going down the road and noticed when we hit random bumps it would loose ignition connection, started fiddling with the key and it would connect again... Got home, pulled it out threw it on the bench & tested it with a meter for continuity while shaking it and low and behold found the culprit... replaced it and it's been happy trails ever since...

Loke I said might not be your problem but might be worth checking... and the wiring connections on it as well... process of elimination. : )
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
yah kinda same thought here... Cranky Cranky & cranky and not even popping would have me looking at electric first as well... Unless you not smelling any fuel while its cranking then maybe more than 1 issue going on... So I'll assume it's getting fuel...

Similar problem we had, but not sure if it's your problem, but it may be worth checking...

When we were in the early phase of building our 57 from time to time ours would fire randomly intermittent at startup and began using the usual hunt & peck method (AKA: pulling hair outta yer head) and by sheer dumb luck, we noticed one day that while the ignition key would turn the starter all the long day when pushing it to start we found the actual ignition contact was worn (or broken) and the only way we stumbled on the problem was when it was running fine one day, was going down the road and noticed when we hit random bumps it would loose ignition connection, started fiddling with the key and it would connect again... Got home, pulled it out threw it on the bench & tested it with a meter for continuity while shaking it and low and behold found the culprit... replaced it and it's been happy trails ever since...

Loke I said might not be your problem but might be worth checking... and the wiring connections on it as well... process of elimination. : )

... I take a lot for granted... when I first got this '55, I went to the post office and came out and turned the ignition, but it wouldn't turn effortlessly. I had to think about what I was doing and noticed the key had to be pressed downward and turned at the same time. So, that's how I start it each time... your story reminded me that the other day, while pulling into a parking lot, I noticed the car skip a beat, by just for a second, turn off and on again. I dismissed it in that second, but now, I realize it could have been what you described with your ignition switch... more and more I'm thinkin' this problem it with my ignition switch. The special method of turning it and then this on/off occurrence... think i'll install another one, I have and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your thought provoking ideas...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

... hope this entry is not premature... since all my problems center around starting, I thought I'd start with the ignition switch.

Removed the ignition switch from my '57 oval, since it has no engine in it yet and went to put it in my running '55, that I am having the issues with. Removed the switch from the body and then the 2 fat red wires... when I gently pulled the switch towards me to remove the 2 black wires from #15, one black wire fell away and I hadn't loosened the tiny screw yet... looking at my wire diagram, the loose wire was the one to the coil.

I put everything back in place, thinking all my intermittent trouble was with a coil wire not making good contact... it is secure now and i'll wait to see IF my issues re occur.

... thanks everyone for your impressions.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

Had starting issues with my '56. Start and then crank slowly or no crank. Push start and started. This got me crazy. Then as a scientist in school got to thinking. Went over all contacts positive and negative. Still nothing. Then one day I wanted to know my transmission number, and notice that their was NO ground strap from the trans to the chassis. Where did it go? Why would someone take it or forgot to replace it. Maybe copper was $$$$. Well got one off of one of my junk bugs sitting out in the weeds. Connected and Old Dobbin crank over like it was new. So, even thou there was no strap it still crank sometimes. Maybe thru the shift lever no start in nutral but in gear. The generator is charging 7.2 instead 6.9.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting issues Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... hope this entry is not premature... since all my problems center around starting, I thought I'd start with the ignition switch.

Removed the ignition switch from my '57 oval, since it has no engine in it yet and went to put it in my running '55, that I am having the issues with. Removed the switch from the body and then the 2 fat red wires... when I gently pulled the switch towards me to remove the 2 black wires from #15, one black wire fell away and I hadn't loosened the tiny screw yet... looking at my wire diagram, the loose wire was the one to the coil.

I put everything back in place, thinking all my intermittent trouble was with a coil wire not making good contact... it is secure now and i'll wait to see IF my issues re occur.

... thanks everyone for your impressions.

... was not premature. That was my problem. The black wire to the coil from the ignition switch was just touching the connection and would fall away periodically.

Since I have secured it correctly, I have had no starting issues... Guess the PO thought he attached that wire and failed to do so... Those things happen and I'm glad I found it...

... has been starting great.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: