Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 baja bug
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: 1976 baja bug Reply with quote

Hi, I'm pretty new to cars and particularly VW's but I am really interested in buying a 1976 beetle that is already a built baja bug. I just don't know if this is a good year of beetle to make it baja or basically anything about this stuff. Something that I have read about (because it looks like it could be one of the most costly expenses) is the difference between Independent Rear Suspension and a swing axle. From what I've read it takes a lot of fabricating to convert a swing axle to an IRS, the only reason I would do that is because it appears that an IRS would be a better option for a baja bug; but again, I don't know anything about this stuff so I don't know if that matters. Anything you guys could offer to help me out on this would be great.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baja bug Reply with quote

a 1976 came with IRS rear suspension.

The front in a '76 is ball joint, unless it's been converted to king pin (or even a-arm) on the car you're considering buying. Ball joint will work OK for mild offroad use.

So the next step is photos. Link to an ad or something so we can offer some advice. If we can't see what you're asking about, we can't help.

One of the biggest problems with a a 76 Baja in California is getting it past smog inspection. Right now, a 75 or older doesn't require smog inspection. A '76 DOES.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baja bug Reply with quote

Actually a '76 should be coil front and IRS rear. Although the mexican bugs could be swing axle rear and king pin front.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baja bug Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
Actually a '76 should be coil front and IRS rear. Although the mexican bugs could be swing axle rear and king pin front.

That would be correct for a Super, but not for a standard.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baja bug Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:

Only Super Beetles EVER came from the factory with coils in front. All standard Beetles after about 1966, worldwide came with ball joint front suspension. No matter WHAT market. On the rear, many Beetles in markets other than the USA, were equipped with swingaxle, all the way through the very last Beetle produced in Mexico in 2003. But just because they were swingaxle, does not mean they had linkpin front end.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: