Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car stalling at stops
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Still no luck after carb cleaning and double checking everything else. I have spent countless hours checking and double checking everything I can think of and still no luck. I'm guessing it has to be a manifold leak at this point as I can't think of anything else.
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Update to my problems carb is icing up and cold to touch also heat risers are cold to touch. Gonna take those of and clean out the carbon. Also ordered a rebuilt German carb with good throttle shaft to hopefully clear up my problems. If those two don't fix it I'm stumped on this thing.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Well keep at it step by step. Sooner or later you will find the problem.
thekera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

I would check your float, to make sure it is not taking on fuel and sinking. Submerge the float in water and look for bubbles. Just an idea.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

I think you are on the right track with the icing. Blocked preheat tube will wreak havoc on you until you find it.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Got the manifold cleaned out it was clogged. Also changed the carb for a correctly rebuilt unit. Seems to be running good now. Holds an idle now. Just need to adjust the new carb and should be good. Fingers crossed. Thank you for all the help.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Good job! Please update in a couple of weeks if still going well.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Old n' slow wrote:
I had similar problems with my stock 1969 motor, my problem was a worn throttle shaft.

One more thing I experienced that might help you, after I had the throttle shaft rebushed, it cured 90% of problem, then like you I found my heat riser was clogged, cleaned it with drill and old clutch cable, it helped.....finally I adjusted the spring in my fuel pump and brought my pressure down from 7 psi to under 3 psi ( where it should have been all along).....NOW IT RUNS 100% perfect. NO stalling at all.
Hope that helps.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Good job! Please update in a couple of weeks if still going well.

Will do. Thank you!
static337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: car stalling at stops Reply with quote

Old n' slow wrote:
Old n' slow wrote:
I had similar problems with my stock 1969 motor, my problem was a worn throttle shaft.

One more thing I experienced that might help you, after I had the throttle shaft rebushed, it cured 90% of problem, then like you I found my heat riser was clogged, cleaned it with drill and old clutch cable, it helped.....finally I adjusted the spring in my fuel pump and brought my pressure down from 7 psi to under 3 psi ( where it should have been all along).....NOW IT RUNS 100% perfect. NO stalling at all.
Hope that helps.

I used the same method on my heat riser as well. Also used a rubber mallet to tap the rougher spots seemed to break up the big chunks. Also let carb cleaner soak for a couple of days. I'm thinking my throttle shaft was also worn. I'll check the fuel pressure as well just to make sure. Thanks for the unfo!
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Car stalling at stops Reply with quote

About the fuel pressure.....I didn't realize ( and didn't read my Bently shop manual carefully enough) that the engine needs less than 3 psi @ 3000rpm, most aftermarket pumps put out about 6-7 psi.....way too much pressure for the float shut off valve, flooding the carb and causing it to occasionally stall.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: