Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How would you tow your buggy.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

I'm planning on taking my buggy up to Silver Lake (from So.East Indiana) in June and will be towing it. I would rather drive it but...........my girl friend.....well, you know.
So anyway, I am familiar that buggy's can be towed "4 down" and I made a sweet custom hitch to do just that. But, I also have access to a dolly that I can use. So with these options available, what would you guys do?? My thoughts are the dolly, pulling the buggy backwards but...........that's why I ask.
Thanks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Flat tow it on all fours..
It tows great...
I have towed mine Behind my pickup and the Motorhome.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Tow bar, flat tow - but don't backup.

hmm
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Make damn sure, and then make double damn sure it is in neutral when you do it.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Quote:
Tow bar, flat tow - but don't backup.

Totally agree with the flat towing.

I towed ours 350 miles round trip this past weekend.

Double check all connections and neutral and e-brake.

60 mph like nothing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Find a new girlfriend and drive it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Flat tow, verify gear shift in neutral, if you have lockable steering column be sure it is UNLOCKED ... Do not get into places you have to back up... Check tow lighting (yes it is now a trailer) ...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
IowaRedManx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Flat tow
Do not forget safety chains/cables and lights.

Always check it is in neutral every time you stop for gas, a break, food, etc.

It might be easier and more fun to just get a different GF.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Before I make a suggestion about the girlfriend, post a photo of her. I think that maybe important in the decision making process.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

You're a bunch of cards!! Smile
I'll probably just give in to her demands on this one. It's about 10-12 hours up there. But, she will have to suck it up for the run over by St. Louis. That's only about 6-7 hours and VERY scenic!!! Going north is pretty boring.
OH, and just so I can get all your approvals, here is a pic of the "family". Smile Smile

And thanx for the suggestions!!! 4 Down it is! I was just a little concerned in case I messed something up in the dunes and needed to have two wheels up.
'preciate it!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Yep she is keeper, make her happy and you will be happy too...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

She's a keeper, the squirrel on your shoulder.........not so much.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

For local towing I flat tow. If Im going far and will be playing hard I trailer in case of breakage.
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Is you buggy swing axle or IRS? Disregard the rest of this post if you have a SA. If you flat tow an IRS buggy and are worried about the shifter bouncing into gear over the long drive just pull the axles before you go. A few bolts and a few minutes work on each side and you can have them on or off as needed. Oh yea, don't forget to bring the CV bolt tool with you. If your shifter is good and tight you probably don't need to bother, unless you just want a little extra insurance against a cooked buggy trans.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Unless something hits the shifter it can't just fall into gear when the vehicle is rolling. (This is why we need clutches.) If this "problem" keeps you from towing the car, it is much easier to remove the shifter than it is to remove the axles. Wink

The problem with towing on a trailer is, what do you do with the trailer once you get to where you are going? When I tow with my RV I can get into places that bigger rigs can't get into. And if I get into a really tight spot, I can unhook the car and drive it out. Can do that with a trailer.

Also, I can break a lot of stuff before the car can't be flat towed. If the car is so torn up it can't be flat towed, I can always rent a uhaul trailer to get it home.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Just curious....... How long has it been since you changed the gear oil in the transaxle? It should be changed every 30,000 miles / 5 years.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Thanx guys.
I just had the trany built about 50 miles ago. I had it set up to run hard. Should be fine there. (but good thought, thanks)

That squirrel is kind of attached. Smile Smile LOL I do cut half of it off about every two years and give to "Locks for Love".

The axle idea is interesting. Do I.R.S."s have a tendancy to jump into gear more so than a S.A.?? If so, wouldn't it be easier to just access the linkage cover and split the linkage from the tranny with the one bolt?? Just curious.

Thanx again guys.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

I don't think it is possible for the transmission to "jump" into gear. I know some people have said that is what happened, but it is easier to say that than admit a dick move like leaving the car in gear while towing it. If you were towing the buggy with the engine off, think of how much trouble you would have jamming the shifter in gear without pushing the clutch in. I don't think it can be done.

When I worked at a VW dealership the wrecker brought in a Baja bug that had been flat towed in gear (first gear, I think) at 70 mph behind a motorhome. The engine nearly sawed itself off the transmission. The motor was totally grenaded and was starting brush fires along interstate 10. It was a mess.

Be safe!!!

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

I would say that my swing axle has a zero tendency to jump into gear. Never once thought of that in a few thousand miles of towing.

Don't over think it. Put it in neutral, e-brake off and get going. I always check that the combo coasts ahead freely after first starting off.

I look in the mirror and see someone tailgating me!! Oh ya , I have a buggy on.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you tow your buggy. Reply with quote

Been doing this for a while. Picture of first buggy about 12 years ago.

Last edited by tgodber on Wed May 18, 2016 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: