Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeDub18T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

I received a random request to use my bus for a video shoot in an upcoming movie. Im trying to figure out what to ask for as compensation.

I will have to drive 4 hours to the filming location, drive the bus during the shoot and then drive home.

Just wondering if anyone else has done anything similar, I was thinking about asking for $500

--Mike
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

What's your hourly rate? What about fuel costs? Your drive time should be calculated at the hourly rate also. I'd double that $500. You also need to look over the contract to see exactly they want to do with your vehicle, you effectively sign away all of your rights until they're done.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Mon May 16, 2016 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
saltypete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

Just depends if it is a low budget film shoot then $500 is reasonable. However if its a big Hollywood production I think $750-$1000 is great. It also depends on what they want to do. Are they riding inside and shooting talent or are you just a backdrop?
Let us know what happens. Good Luck
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

They should also provide you with a certificate of insurance. If you have to drive 4 hours, shoots are often anywhere from 10-14 hours long depending on what they're doing. Are they going to put you up in a hotel if they don't finish till late or pay you for travel time? Are they going to be mounting cameras on your bus or are you just background? You might need to ask a few more questions, saltypete is on the right track.

Most crew folks will treat your bus like gold, but not all, and scratches and accidents do happen so be clear ahead of time in case something happens.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

Ask them what they want to pay.... I got around $150 for a commercial back 25 years ago. I think $500 is low for what you are going to have to do.

I also work with crews for props. It is unreal what they will pay to rent or buy even for a low budget film ($1K rental for one day of a kiddie ride, happy to buy of $850 delivered all for a few minutes).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

I'd ask for the going IRS rate for mileage compensation. It should be somewhere around $0.54 per mile driven. Then Ask for an hourly rate for your driving time. Whatever you think your time is worth. If the shoot runs late, it would not be out of the question to ask for a hotel room for the night. Preferably one that has a secured garage. Also you gotta eat. So a per-diem for food would not be outlandish as well. Make sure to ask for a fair amount as you don't want to eat Ramon when you can eat a nice dinner of your choice at a comfortable restaurant. Don't go nuts but be fair with your self and your expectations with regard to your time and valuable vehicle.
Then since your driving your bus in the shoot, there maybe some contractual
compensation as well. I have heard in the past that if your face was on cam for something like 6 sec. you had a certain amount of compensation as compared to a 3 sec appearance. Make sure to read the fine print.
Remember, they have asked to use your bus in the shoot. You didn't go looking for them. Cool
Have fun and damn your a lucky S.O.B.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

Why is everyone so hung up on the money?

I would do it for free just to have a chance to hang around a film set all day and watch what happens, not to mention the chance that my car would be immortalized in a movie, even a lousy movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

coad wrote:

I would do it for free just to have a chance to hang around a film set all day and watch what happens, not to mention the chance that my car would be immortalized in a movie, even a lousy movie.

You must be part of the one percent.... Give it all up for free.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

Ask them if they have some sort of authenticity certificate or something that can state your bus was used in the film- it might be fun years down the road long after the compensation is forgotten.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I'd ask for the going IRS rate for mileage compensation. It should be somewhere around $0.54 per mile driven.

Yes, it's 54 cents for 2016

hitest wrote:
Ask them if they have some sort of authenticity certificate or something that can state your bus was used in the film- it might be fun years down the road long after the compensation is forgotten.

I have seen people selling cars with this sort of documentation in the past.
Not sure it adds any real value but kind of cool either way.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

If you just want fame then yes go free. I have been filmed a lot (local news type to major TV shows) but each time it was advertising my business, I got paid nothing except exposure (and it worked...).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

The Dormy's first gig was as a prop for a German clothing catalog. IIRC it paid $200 for a couple of hours of "work". Two years later they wanted to do it again so of course I said yes! Wink

The last gig was for Charlotte Russe clothing store. This was a 2 dayer. Did not get millage and such but they put me in a hotel on the night before the shoot, showed up at the site in the morning, they had me move the bus over here and over there etc., they provided lunch, done for the day and back to the hotel for the night. In the morning I showed up as scheduled, ended up taking a nap in the Dormy all morning as they were shooting in a different place on the site and by noon they said "We're not going to need you any more so you can just go." Cool

The gig was for $350 per day so I was handed a check for $700 before leaving! Razz

Should dig up my pictures and post them up here. Smile
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

i did it once with my so42. The pay was roughly 1000$ (from memories), and i left it there for a day or two. That was 8 or 9 years ago.

Its kinda hard to figure out how much what they are asking is worth. If you ask too much, they'll find another.

If its 8 hours drive total, i'd definately ask for more than 500$. But on another hand, if you're not too worried about money, its all about fame!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

FWIW, the green and white bus in the Movie "Almost Famous" was owned by Strictly Vintage 2s president at the time. Don't know how much he got paid for the gig but it took some time, weeks like. Also there are others here that have had recent gigs too but I let them tell their story. Cool
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
I have been filmed a lot (local news type to major TV shows).....

Link

best I could do Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

I didn't see a vw. So which side of the law were you on?
turbo_g
Father of Samba Cookie Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

All my shoots have come through an agent, The Hatch gets $500/day, no idea what my agent takes.

Flat bed picks it up, then returns it. Only had one time where there was small damage on my bus.

If I'm taking my time to do the shoot, my time is worth $100/hr at least. Driving or sitting there, if they want YOUR bus, make them pay for the inconvenience.
SV2s Member #425
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

This "site" has been used in a number of tv shows. Some of you may recognize it! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They took easily a couple of thousand pictures!!! Shocked

Yet, these are the only 3 they ended up using! Laughing

For more on this, go to my post in our club's deadsite's forums: The Dormy does Hollywood!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

coad wrote:

I've been on lots of sets and it really isn't that big a deal, but, I was working so my perspective is a bit different from yours.

I've had a couple of my vehicles in movies when crew parking was included in a camera shot. Also, one movie I worked on wanted to use my buggy, but I was too busy with my actual job on the movie to be able to babysit the car, and I didn't trust the picture car guys, so I turned them down.

$500 a day sounds fine if you are happy with that (and driving 8 total hours should be counted as a day, so this is a 2 day job). I would also ask for a hotel room. Make sure you get a copy of their insurance.

I would be wary if they want to mount cameras on your vehicle. We try to be careful, but stuff happens. Ask for the insurance cert before you show up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Using my Bus for a Movie Shoot Reply with quote

If you really want your car in the shoot, let them set their price and take it for the "five minutes of fame"

I doubt your the only one they have contacted, and from experience, the guy who's job it is to locate picture cars know's how to get them...

I was pd $350 for the use of my bus in a national geographic show-Job's vs. Gates, in which they only used it for about an hr.
rest of the day we just watched the process of the filming, ate all the free food provided, snacks, full spread buffet, all you can drink....

It was a fun day.

Best of all, my bus is immortalized on film with a couple trailers on youtube, a couple spots in the show, and 5 full second solo shot.

I have a great memory, pics / video of the shoot, and a great story to tell friends / customers....
the money pd was spent quickly, but the rest is good forever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: