Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
If this is still happening,
Jaybird707 wrote:
... Also the tach goes all crazy or even has a tic then goes crazy motor cuts out back on then dies ...

I vote for an ECU replacement.

Aloha
tp

I agree. My van needed an ecu because it wasn't included when I bought it (long story) I found a good one in the classifieds for around $80
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Look at the fuel filter (s), and the fuel pump. Me thinks perhaps the SeaFoam loosened crud in the gas tank, which is now slowing/stopping gas flow.
Replace the filters and clean the pump intake.

Good luck!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Can terminal 16 on the starter cause the problem?

Because some times when i crank the motor over its will still crank.

I blew down the fuel system and changed the fuel filter.
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get the Schematic for ECU? I have friend that is going to clean an inspect the ECU but he wants a schematic?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Jaybird707 wrote:
... Because some times when i crank the motor over its will still crank. ...

Are you saying that when you turn the ignition key to START the starter turns the engine and sometimes when you release the key to RUN the starter continues to run? If so that is probably an ignition switch problem and the ignition switch might also be the source of the dieing problems. But the ignition switch should not cause the tach anomalies. I would suspect those are the result of an old/bad ECU or hall sender.

Aloha
tp
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. When i go to start the van sometimes, it will still continue to crank after i let go of the key for in to return to the run position.

The hall sending unit in the distributor is brand new. I just rebuilt it that was one of the first things i did because when i did look in the distributor it look brittle and did arc when i was touching around.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Jaybird707 wrote:
... When i go to start the van sometimes, it will still continue to crank after i let go of the key for in to return to the run position. ...

I vote for ignition switch replacement.

Aloha
tp
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Jaybird707 wrote:
... Because some times when i crank the motor over its will still crank. ...

Are you saying that when you turn the ignition key to START the starter turns the engine and sometimes when you release the key to RUN the starter continues to run? If so that is probably an ignition switch problem and the ignition switch might also be the source of the dieing problems. But the ignition switch should not cause the tach anomalies. I would suspect those are the result of an old/bad ECU or hall sender.

Aloha
tp

The key switch will definitely cause the tach to jump around if it is not supplying a constant 12v due to wonky melted plastic internals.. That's why I suggested it on the first page. I have replaced many for just this reason.
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Well I am waiting for my ECU to be returned. then i can go buy a ignition switch and try that out. Until then does anyone know where I can find a Schematic for the ECU i can not find one in the bentley and I am trying to find it on google.
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

So here is a update. My Dads co worker was unable to check out the computer so i told him to just bring it home for now until he has time to look at it. Plus it is bugorama this weekend. So here is the deal i put it back in the vanagon to show my dad all the issues to see what he has to say. It did nothing. we drove it around for a bit with no issues. The only thing was that it tried to keep cranking which happened twice.

SO my dad was thinking that maybe the memory in the computer died so it had to re set itself. He was using the reference from airplanes. SO my question now would be if you pulled the computer for over a week would it clear any stored codes. etc..
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

For the next guy that comes a long and maybe reads this. It wasn't the ignition switch it also was not the computer. I finally took it to a shop and I am waiting for the diagnosis.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Ahhh - the suspense as we await the verdict.

Did you ever try a known-good coil on it? Very difficult to test a coil that has an intermittent problem.
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

No i did not because once i put the new computer in the van it went all crazy with weird noise thought my van was going to burn down the way it sounded. To bad I can't put videos up. Even the mechanic I sent it to in Sacramento couldn't believe the sounds.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Jaybird707 wrote:
No i did not because once i put the new computer in the van it went all crazy with weird noise thought my van was going to burn down the way it sounded. To bad I can't put videos up. Even the mechanic I sent it to in Sacramento couldn't believe the sounds.

Did you fry the new ECU? Was the the van making the noise or the ECU? Did your sounds get fried? Did you disconnect the ground cable?

Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

A car that continues to crank after key release has a small set of possible faults

Ignition switch
Short fault in wiring
Sticking starter solenoid

My guess is number 2, wiring harness problem.
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

So here is the simi-final run down of what is wrong. Oh and the rebuilt computer that I bought was junk, other wise I would have been able to finish everything out my self.

So one computer, one temp 2 sensor, one starter, 2 hours of diagnosis, now another diagnosis for slight hesitation, 1 O2 sensor, 1 coolant pressure tank with small leak and that is were we are at so far.

But the guys that said computer was on point. If the company that i ordered the new computer from would have not sent me a shitty computer I wouldn't have sent it to the shop. Go figure.

I will add more for the next person that finds this link. When I am done.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Jaybird707 wrote:
... But the guys that said computer was on point. If the company that i ordered the new computer from would have not sent me a shitty computer I wouldn't have sent it to the shop. Go figure. ...

Over the years I've had a bad ECU and another that was water damaged. Both of those went to Van Cafe. I've used their rebuilt ECU's without any problems. I also recommend their ECU monitoring device (Digitool) for future trouble shooting. Your rebuilder should refund or replace his bad ECU. It's always good to have a spare ECU onboard. It would seem to me that you need a loupe to find cracks in the ECU solder.

Aloha
tp
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Actually i bought all my parts from parts geek which they came fast. The only thing is that the computer was a rebuild but when it showed up it came in a white box with no plastic or anything kind of looked used. The mechanic I sent it to up in sacramento actually bought another computer from van cafe.
Jaybird707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

So I would like to say that my Vanagon is finally ready to be picked up. They also had to change some of the green wire coming from the coil to the computer because it was not ohm right. They also changed the Coil, and the final and last thing they believe that was causing the slight hesitation was the ignition switch which they changed out also.

Thanks for everyone chiming in on this post I really appreciate it.
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: I need Help 1986 Vanagon 2.1 GL Reply with quote

Glad to see you are back on the road as it seems it was a long haul to finding the problem. Much appreciation in keeping the forum updated and posting a final outcome.

Btw, I always keep a spare ignition switch in my toolbox.

Happy miles!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: