Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 FI westy won't start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Trying to type this on my phone please be patient.
Was driving my 78 today everything was fine parked it. Went out to drive it again and clutch made funny noise. Figured it was the clutch cable. Luckily I had a spare.

New cable installed, then mini test, clutch feels like butter now, I didn't realize how bad the frayed cable was dragging.

The test was basically back upba couple feet then forward a couple feet.worked fine. Time to clean up.

After clean up - bus won't start. Won't even turn over. I hooked up a battery jumper still will not turn over. I disconnected wires to solenoid and cleaned up those connections still won't start.

I tried shorting connection at solenoid- with key in On position and nothing.

All dash lights come on normally when trying to start, just won't turn over at all. Checked fuses- all look OK.

I checked the forum - and not sure what to do next? Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I'm not at home. About 5 miles from there. Not sure if I should tow home or tow to shop. Would prefer simple fix here. Wink

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

I ran in to a similar issue just the other day when starting the bus for the first time after the winter. It turned out to be poor connection at the battery. Cleaning up the battery posts and making sure the cables were on there tight was the fix.

In your case though, is it possible that the transmission to body ground strap has a poor connection or was moved around a little bit while you were under there replacing the clutch cable?

They call my home the land of snow.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

I had checked the ground strap, and looks OK.
I notice when I hook the jumper battery up, the dash lights get super bright - and I still get nothing out of bus.

I'll double check ground strap - but if this was loose, wouldnt I get something from starter? Even a weak turning over? When I turn key I don't even hear fuel pump starting up.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

If nothing else, a push start should get you home. Is there 12v to the coil in "On" position?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Have a look up under the base of the steering column at the wires that plug into the back of the ignition switch and confirm that plug hasn't worked loose.

But that wouldn't cause no action when jumping the terminals directly on the starter, my vote is for bad battery terminal or cable, "looks OK" isn't good enough, remove each connection and mess around with it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have a meter with me, and push start from where it is parked is near impossible.

I'm starting to think something is wrong with the starter. I think I'm going to get it towed to my house AAA, then try my multimeter to check voltage at coil.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Just to add to what was said above - I had a 'bad' positive cable (corroded on the inside) a couple years back with similar symptoms as well; dash lights come on -> turn key, nothing.

They call my home the land of snow.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

I cleaned the ground transmission strap and the positive battery strap - no go.

The wire at the underside of the ignition appears to be tight. I get 10.8V at the positive side of the coil.

When I try to start - the dash lights do not dim in the slightest.

If the starter has gone bad - is there anyway to determine that, short of removing it from the vehicle, and bringing it somewhere to have it tested?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Just remember, it can't be run out of the bus because the bushing that supports the armature properly is in the bell housing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

I thought you could bring it to a place that works on starters - and they could test it for you? Or most FLAPS always have a sign up that says they will test your starter or battery? or am I remembering that wrong?

Forgot to ask - as far as jumping the starter connections - I have done this before on my older bus ('65). Now this '78 is FI, and I am wondering if maybe I am not doing the jumpber correctly. Could someone clarify how to do this?

I think if I do the 'jumper' at the starter, and get nothing - I either have a bad wire from the battery, or a bad starter, right?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I thought you could bring it to a place that works on starters - and they could test it for you? Or most FLAPS always have a sign up that says they will test your starter or battery? or am I remembering that wrong?

Forgot to ask - as far as jumping the starter connections - I have done this before on my older bus ('65). Now this '78 is FI, and I am wondering if maybe I am not doing the jumpber correctly. Could someone clarify how to do this?

I think if I do the 'jumper' at the starter, and get nothing - I either have a bad wire from the battery, or a bad starter, right?

Have you removed the terminals from the battery posts? Clean the posts and the inside terminal circles.
Colin
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Yeah I did that. Took the battery terminals off and cleaned them, but it wouldn't start even with the jumper attached to the battery connections. (which basically takes the battery out of the loop if it has a bad connection, right?)

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Yeah I did that. Took the battery terminals off and cleaned them, but it wouldn't start even with the jumper attached to the battery connections. (which basically takes the battery out of the loop if it has a bad connection, right?)

Dang, I think we are at the starter . . .
Colin
(who lived in Jamaica Plain in 1977 briefly)
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Ok - if it is the starter - I'm looking at a rebuilt Bosch unit - or I see GoWesty makes a Gear Reduction starter. Anyone try one of their starters in a Bay Window Westy - they are a good bit more than a rebuilt bosch. I am wondering about the quality of a rebuilt 35+ year old starter vs a new one - that has been redesigned.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Geez, just realized - forgot to thank you all for your suggestions. Got my head so confused tracking this thing down.

Thanks to all. Keep the suggestions coming....

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

Jumping starter, make sure the battery is charged and the connections are cleaned and tight.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7466741#7466741
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

thanks, but I guess with a FI vehicle, there are two smaller wires hooked up to the starter.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

take a small hammer and tap (not hammer) the solenoid while someone tries to start it in neutral, chock the tires.

Automatic or manual. If an automatic there is also a neutral switch that can fail besides the solenoid stick.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

I had tried tapping the starter with a hammer - and got nothing, but not with someone starting it.

One question - that makes me think that maybe it is a wiring issue and not a starter issue - when I turn the key, shouldn't I hear something? Ie the fuel pump or something? I don't hear anything. This is FI.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 FI westy won't start Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I had tried tapping the starter with a hammer - and got nothing, but not with someone starting it.

One question - that makes me think that maybe it is a wiring issue and not a starter issue - when I turn the key, shouldn't I hear something? Ie the fuel pump or something? I don't hear anything. This is FI.

No. Ignition-only is perfectly silent.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: