Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing front seats
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

I just found what look like a decent pair of front seats, mine are shot. Is removal and replacement pretty straightforward? I recently took my baby on a road trip, she did great, I was miserable. All the foam appears to have disintegrated. Any help is appreciated. I haven't been driving her just because it was so miserable. Help me get Mabel back on the road... Please!

Thanks in advance.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

So if you have a square back or two door sedan you have seats that tilt forward. If you have a four door your probably do not tilt....so use the lqrgecknob to bring the back to full vertical.

On the inside side of each seat.....there are two knobs. The rorward one tilts the forward edge of the seat up and the rearward knob allows the seat to slide fore and aft.

Pull the forward knob up and allow the front of the seat to rise up on the yoke as far as it can. It will not slip off of that yoke.
Now reach under the forward outside corner of the plastic skirting around the bottom of the seat....and you will find a vertical lever. Squeeze it flat against against the plastic skirt. It releases the cross pin that holds the seat onto the Y yoke.

Once you squeeze the lever and lift the forward edge of the lever off of the yoke.....release the lever......on the two door and wagon....tilt the seat back forward....it makes more room.

Now pull the rearward knob on the inside side of the seat skirt.....and slide the seat towards the back seat until the two back seat supports clear the notches in the seat rails that allow them to come out of the track.
Now you can lift the seat out.

Unplug the spiral cord that goes to the seat sensors.....and DO N9T lose the two gray ppastic bushings that are clipped to the rear feet of the seat. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

Could not be better explained than Ray writes above.
Just a note:
In fact the 4-door front seats are tiltable. There is an (aluminum?) 10mm bar hidden under the seat, at the wery rear all across the seat from right to left. You can reach in behind the battery and pull the bar and the backrest will tilt. It is of course easier to reach and see the bar after the front is released and the seat is flipped up.

/Lars s
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Could not be better explained than Ray writes above.
Just a note:
In fact the 4-door front seats are tiltable. There is an (aluminum?) 10mm bar hidden under the seat, at the wery rear all across the seat from right to left. You can reach in behind the battery and pull the bar and the backrest will tilt. It is of course easier to reach and see the bar after the front is released and the seat is flipped up.

/Lars s

Damn.....I never knew that! I knew that the tilt mechanism could be retrofitted to the four door sedan seats...but never knew there was an access otherwise.

Still learning things about these cars after all this time! Thanks Lars!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

It's been a busy month, I have the 2 door squareback, and am hoping to swap the seats out tomorrow. I'm not sure I understood all of that, but I'm pretty sure that once I get going it will all make sense. Thanks so much, will be nice to have comfortable seats, even if they are ugly. Upholstery is a bit further down the line.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

Deacon64 wrote:
It's been a busy month, I have the 2 door squareback, and am hoping to swap the seats out tomorrow. I'm not sure I understood all of that, but I'm pretty sure that once I get going it will all make sense. Thanks so much, will be nice to have comfortable seats, even if they are ugly. Upholstery is a bit further down the line.

As you get into this.....ask questions if you have problems. Parts of the seats or glides....if broken.....are only replaceable from type 4 cars in junkyards. Ray
Deacon64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing front seats Reply with quote

Mischief managed! It wasn't exactly easy, but it got done and was so worth it, I can actually stand to drive her more than 15 minutes. [/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: