Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcal112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

I am looking at 2 '82 westys both priced at 9000 one is aircooled 2.0 and the other is diesel. Both in comparable shape with same amount of minimal rust. Camping set up works in both of them. My goal is to have one that i can use for camping, road trips, and ski trips, i want to drive this thing it wont be my daily but it will get driven. i want to take to resort towns and camp in parking lots and such so mountain driving will be a thing any advice on weather i should i go AC or diesel? i live in the PNW.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

I searched specifically for a diesel van because I wanted to swap the stock motor (1.6D) for a turbo diesel (1.9 AAZ). But I drove it for a couple years before tearing it apart and eventually replacing the motor. Now, it's pretty much exactly what I hoped for. But before, long drives (8-12 hours) were way more stressful than any other car I'd driven, because the thing was so slow. AC vans are slow too, but not as slow.

You need to drive both vans and try to imagine what a long trip would be like.

Some people don't seem to mind driving stock diesel vans. It's kind of unthinkable to me.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

The diesel is SLOOOWWW. The aircooled, if you want it too last, needs to be driven slow. neither is well suited for mountainous driving. The diesel doesn't have the power and the air cooled will have a hard time with the work load. If I was in your shoes I'd go for the diesel because it would be easier to swap to a later, more powerful diesel or switch to subi power or even a WBXer.

Hans
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

Is that 9K for both? it must be because 9K for either one is too much, they are both inferior in my eyes.
At least by a 83.5 - 85 if you can't afford a proper 88 and later. You are fooling yourself buying an early van.
Go and drive different vans from AC to WBX and diesel and then Subaru to 1.8t. Financially I am stuck at Subaru, which is not a bad place to be. But a fresh purchase of an AC van" You'll be Sorry"

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Is that 9K for both? it must be because 9K for either one is too much, they are both inferior in my eyes.
At least by a 83.5 - 85 if you can't afford a proper 88 and later. You are fooling yourself buying an early van.
Go and drive different vans from AC to WBX and diesel and then Subaru to 1.8t. Financially I am stuck at Subaru, which is not a bad place to be. But a fresh purchase of an AC van" You'll be Sorry"

Stacy

+ 10000

If you are sinking that money into a Westy get at the very least 83.5 +

I have an '82 Diesel with a 1.9TD, but it is old, and a lot of work. The '86 + offer way more.

M
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

I'm probably forgetting something, but what "big difference" is there between an 82 diesel and an 83.5+ or 86+ gasser?

The things I can think of offhand:
- Shift linkage (updated in 83?)
- Rain gutters (updated in 83?)
- Pop top changed to screws vs staples (updated in 85?)
- Sliding door (updated in 86)
- Curtains (updated in 86)

Hardly anything groundbreaking...

If you get the diesel, it's already watercooled which would make future engine conversions (diesel or gas) easier, so that would be my choice. You also get a bunch of parts that are worth money to other people should you switch over to gas at some point. (The diesel Vanagon parts are the basis for quite a few other conversions)

If it's a clean diesel Westy, then I can see $9k... The demand is there, the supply is not. There are only so many 86+ Westfalias to go around, so naturally demand for the "less desirable" (not in my opinion) years has gone up...

The tangible everyday differences between our 84 and our 87 were barely noticeable...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

tcal112, welcome to the Samba. I own an original 82 diesel vanagon camper. As mentioned, stock they are slow and underpowered, but are a great platform for upgrading to a more modern/powerful diesel engine when you are ready.

We have added an Espar diesel heater, that keeps the van very comfortable on cold nights. You mention winter camping. Unlike a propane heater, you have an almost endless supply of diesel on hand to keep you warm.

If I had an aircooled vanagon, I would upgrade it to a 3.0 mid 80's Porsche engine along with the transaxle from the Porsche. Good luck.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

If the only decision is diesel or air cooled I'd definitely go diesel. They have real heat while driving and an aux diesel heater is easy to add for when you are overnighting at the ski resorts.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

The regular vendors don't support the early models well. Tracking parts down may take a while and you may have to rely on used.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The regular vendors don't support the early models well. Tracking parts down may take a while and you may have to rely on used.

Not at all disagreeing with you here - but can you elaborate on which parts? The motor parts, sure. Anything to do with the body though (genuinely curious)?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

The vendors don't generally offer body parts.
tcal112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

You guys are all being so helpful. Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom and experience this is helping a ton. Keep it coming.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

Agree, and having a part number makes for an easier quest.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The vendors don't generally offer body parts.

By body I'm talking about everything not related to the motor... Interior and exterior... Go Westy, Van-Cafe and Bus Depot all carry a lot of stuff... I'm not talking about sheet metal.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

The early models use a different shift linkage, brakes, suspension bits, slider assembly, cooling systems, etc. The individual items used to support all those and other unique functions are difficult to locate via the usual Vanagon vendors. I can only assume that lots of those parts are also NLA from the dealer

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

Alright I guess I have to step up. I own an 82 AC and love it. The 80-82's are the step child that nobody loves. With that said I love mine and wouldnt own a watercooled.

price: I estimate mine at about $10,000 give or take so the 9k isnt out of the ballpark. Pics and conditions would help to estimate it but these vans are increasing rapidly. Everything functions on mine, with zero rust, as best it can so I would say I am in the upper limit but the price is really what someone will pay. Look at the Bays. If you want one of those in decent condition without sinking much time and money into it you are looking at about $20k.

Drivability: Misperception is to drive it "lightly". BS I drive the crap out of mine. Up mountians, down mountians, 65mph (w/out wind) on the hwy, in traffic..... It doesnt matter as long as it is maintaned, tuned, and running correctly and all parts are there.

Parts: I have NEVER had a problem locating parts. I usually buy the basic parts from Napa. If they dont have what I need then on-line I go and no problem finding what I need. Many sites to choose from. You will have no problem finding what you need.

Heat: Again a bad misperception. With all parts intact you have good heat. I actually have a BA6 belly heater. With that fired up I get better heat that my DD auto. If you are traveling the PNW you dont need GREAT heat anyways.

Yes the diesel will be easier to swap in a newer powerplant (suby) if that is the direction you want to go. When mine is in need of a rebuild I will rebuild to stock specs. Yes I drive slow some times and so slow I have to turn on the hazards like the big rigs but thats the life I am in and I think it is awesome.

Obviously I am partial to the AC but I like the idea of driving an AC vehicle. This is what VW was built on. You will have to understand that whatever you get you will sink time and money into and then more time and more money. If you take a step back and look at both you will find many things wrong with them and you will find many things that are good so it really comes down to drive them and go wioth your gut.These vehicles are a hobby so if you dont have time in your schedule for a new hobby then you may not want either.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

Mulcheese wrote:
Misperception is to drive it "lightly". BS I drive the crap out of mine.... 65mph (w/out wind) on the hwy
Shocked you are a wild man.
Enjoy your van
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

The diesel components will allow the bolt-in of the mk3 TDI or 1.8T. Converting to Subaru would be silly. It is an unusual individual that will be happy with either the stock air-cooled or the stock 1.6 non-turbo diesel. Between the two I would get the diesel purely for it's increase upgrade potential.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

I'm with Mulcheese, I have an '82 AC and love the friggin thing. A couple hiccups getting it to where I want it in terms of reliability, but now that it's there, I trust it (so much so in fact that I'm about to move into it full time).

I've never had an issue with parts (I did one time have to pay $300 for a sliding door hinge, but it was the worst encounter). I drive it all over the Canadian rockies loaded with bikes and a roof box, and spent nights sleeping at the base of Revelstoke with a buddy, propex keeping us warm.

If it's in good shape with a recent rebuild, $9000 is not far fetched.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help deciding what to buy: first-time VW owner '82 Westys Reply with quote

I have an 81 Westy that is just finished swapping in a 2001 inline 4 VW watercooled engine. My aircooled motor was healthy, I was dissatisfied with its ability to move a van full of gear and family to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. If the aircooled had 100HP, it would,still be in my van. You should try to drive an aircooled Westy so you are aware of its abilities.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: