Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 convertible resurrection
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Purchased a basket case 1965 convertible to mess around with. The car is a real project, from what I can tell most of the major components seem to be there. And of course it is rusty........

I am going to need some technical help with this one. Since I did not take it apart, I may need help identifying some items when the time comes.

I do have the Bentley repair manual, so that is helping for the mechanical stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Welcome and umm...good luck Wink

You're in the right place...lots of similar projects are illustrated in detail (coupe and convertible) in the Sticky Section under the title... Ghia Restoration Topics – For Instruction and Inspiration

As well as the Bentley Guide you'll also find these Workshop Body Manuals in the Archive very useful too: 1960 VW Karmann Ghia Shop Manual - Body Section
...and : Karmann Ghia Top Assembly - A83A
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Finally ready to get started on this project. Took a little detour and built a rotisserie. After my last project, I swore I was never crawling around on the floor again (within reason).

I hope to be done with the floor plans in a week or so, it is easy to fit them up now.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Nice work, if your body restoration skills are as good as your rotisserie building skills you will do well.
Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Nice work, if your body restoration skills are as good as your rotisserie building skills you will do well.

Thanks, I am hopeful the project is a little less challenging than the 1970 Corvette I did.

Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Need a little information. I have been fitting the replacement pans and have done about all I can do. When I purchased the car the original pans had already been cut out, so I have no measurements to to work off of. I did locate the below image in the sticky area of this forum. It is for a 1970, I am working on a 1965. So far I have discovered that the seat rails on the 1970 must be different. Anyway, using that sketch I am hitting around 593mm for the width from tunnel to inside the outer rail. The drawing shows 595mm. Measuring to the pre-stamped bump on the rail to the tunnel I have 610mm, the drawing has 612mm. If I slide the pans out, the front and rear edges no longer line up with the outer edges of the napolean hats.

My question is, what is the tolerance on the pan layout? Will plus or minus a few millimeters cause major issues when dropping the body back on or is there enough movement to compensate for some deviation?

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

When I took measurements during the creation of the drawing I found there were slight differences between the two pan halves. IIRC it was about 2mm so I averaged it out to the measurements you see. The holes in the pan rails have about 2-2.5mm tolerance in either direction so you will probably be OK. The measurements for the holes in the pan rails were consistent throughout at 15mm for round holes and 15x18-20mm for oval holes. Another inconsistency I found when removing the pans was the amount of spot welds. The driver side was almost 2:1 vs the PAX side.

Others with far more experience than myself will be along shortly to provide you with experienced information. I have not begun to install new pans so accept my comments as a moderately informed opinion.

BTW, I have subscribed to your thread. Good luck.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Quote:
I am working on a 1965. So far I have discovered that the seat rails on the 1970 must be different.

seat rails changed width in 69.
There will be tolerance, I needed to extend the oblong on a few holes to get my pan bolts in. You could probably put your pan halves up to the body and get a feel for where it will lie.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Right or wrong, the floor pans are now permanent. I should have the remaining pieces attached (seat rails, accel. pedeal mount, and jack points) later this week. I need to do some repairs to the driver side seat rails.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Do you have any tips on doing the plug welds into the lip on the tunnel? I am doing this soon and am a bit unsure about the balance between getting good penetration into the relatively thick lip versus blowing through the relatively thin pan.

Also, It looks like you re-welded the two welds on the inside edge and the two welds on the rear of each pan? If so,was this because you had to make adjustments or just because the welds on the repro pans are not great quality?
Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Do you have any tips on doing the plug welds into the lip on the tunnel? I am doing this soon and am a bit unsure about the balance between getting good penetration into the relatively thick lip versus blowing through the relatively thin pan.

Also, It looks like you re-welded the two welds on the inside edge and the two welds on the rear of each pan? If so,was this because you had to make adjustments or just because the welds on the repro pans are not great quality?

I am no professional welder, so dismiss anything I say that sounds out of line.

I drilled 1/4" holes every 2 inches. I started the welding in the center of the hole on the tunnel material and spiraled out to the pan material. It is very easy to blow out the pan material, it happened a few times. I could not just lay on the welder, I had to take it in short blasts to keep from overheating the material.

As for the seams on the pans, there were splits in the pans along the corners and a couple along the back edge. They were never welded. Since the pans were purchased by the previous owner who had done a little trimming, I was not sure if he split them for fitment or if they came that way from the supplier. I just welded the seams up after all the plug welds were done.

I also did a few 1/2" long welds on the underside along the tunnel and around the foot box area of the pan. The plug welds are holding just fine, but I really don't want to fall through going down the road.........Plus, I believe I read in the Bentley manual that it should be welded underneath. I need to go back and confirm, I was on a roll and did not want stop and read the book.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

looks like you're doing a great job.
Texas65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 convertible resurrection Reply with quote

Making a little more progress. Finished welding out the chassis, sandblasted, and painted with chassis saver.

Pulled the chassis off the rotisserie and mounted the body on it. If I could manage to get a little relief from the heat, more might get done. It has been over 100+ degrees F everyday for the last 2 weeks.

I guess it is time to start pulling off some of the rusted out panels and see just how much work is ahead.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: