Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At wits end
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73pumpkinthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: At wits end Reply with quote

Purchased a running 73. It stopped one day so I decided a major tuneup was in order. Normal plugs, wires, fuel pump, coil (replaced it already), etc.
NOW it starts good and runs good most of the time but out of the blue has this terrible stumble and shake. Replaced the carb and it did NOT help. The window of enjoying the car for the Spring is closing and I need HELP. What do I look for or replace?
The fuel filter does not fill up with fuel when running. All other parts are within specs.

Thanks Crying or Very sad
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

Possibly a clog in the fuel tank or fuel line. It sounds like a fuel starvation issue. I don't remember, but do things have the tank filter screen?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

yes
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

check your carb bowl float. Mine was doing the same thing. My float was gas saturated (damn ethanol gas) I replaced the float and no more stumble or cutting out due to fuel overflowing out of the bowl. By the way very few fuel filters will fill up when running, most of the time it is only 1/4 to 1/3 full.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

bald_dude43 wrote:
check your carb bowl float. Mine was doing the same thing. My float was gas saturated (damn ethanol gas) I replaced the float and no more stumble or cutting out due to fuel overflowing out of the bowl. By the way very few fuel filters will fill up when running, most of the time it is only 1/4 to 1/3 full.

the Float check is a good thought, but a new carb should of eliminated that issue.... If your feeling spendy, I would also replace the fuel pump as the 'new' fuels have a tendency to eat up the diaphragm causing air to be injected into the system.

My filters are usually full.... Why would your filter be trapping air in there when there should only gas being pumped through the system????

I would also think about pulling the fitting at the bottom of the fuel tank, especially on Things that have being in the dirt. There is a screen there to stop the big chunks from going thru the system and after 40 years, there is a very good chance that there is a restriction in the gas flow.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

73pumpkinthing wrote:
Purchased a running 73. It stopped one day so I decided a major tuneup was in order. Normal plugs, wires, fuel pump, coil (replaced it already), etc.
NOW it starts good and runs good most of the time but out of the blue has this terrible stumble and shake. Replaced the carb and it did NOT help. The window of enjoying the car for the Spring is closing and I need HELP. What do I look for or replace?
The fuel filter does not fill up with fuel when running. All other parts are within specs.

Thanks Crying or Very sad

Does the bold part mean you replaced the fuel pump? If so, with what? I would check the fuel pump pressure as some of the new fuel pumps today have way too much pressure. This could cause the issues you are having.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

what is the right pressure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
what is the right pressure?

3 - 4 psi
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73pumpkinthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

I put a new fuel pump from the Thing Shop. Could put another one on if people thought that was wise. How would I check the fuel pressure? Fuel drains freely from the tank when the line is disconnected from the pump (gravity only).

Thanks
moondogi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

Did you replace the condenser?
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

Points and condenser was the first thing that popped in my mind.
73pumpkinthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

I did change the points and condenser and points are set by dwell meter. Could these work sometimes and not others? When it is acting up it still runs just roughly and then clears and runs fine until the next episode.
The new carb is running rich and can't seem to adjust it much.

thanks
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

I've got a question --- Is that carb brand new or just new to you????
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

73pumpkinthing wrote:
I put a new fuel pump from the Thing Shop. Could put another one on if people thought that was wise. How would I check the fuel pressure? Fuel drains freely from the tank when the line is disconnected from the pump (gravity only).

Thanks

Use a mechanical pressure gauge on the line between the pump and the carb.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

That problem sounds very familiar to a issue I had a few years ago doing
a short day trip, going up a mountain no less the THING started bucking, had no power under load, at idle ran fine.

Turned out to be a big "buggar" of 'pre ethanol' gas tank sealant (which turned my fuel purple) and lots of rust which passed the fuel filter and got in the carb, it was plugging the tank screen/ which was starving the engine for fuel.

Try bypassing the gas tank with a gas can instead that's known clean.
I actually put one in the back seat and ran a long hose into the engine bay.
(that was BEFORE) I pulled the fuel sending unit and looked in the tank with a good flashlight. Just be careful you'd be putting your face right over the hole that's probably full of gas!

anyways, good luck, let us know what ya find.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
73pumpkinthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

The carb is new. I did as "doublecanister" suggested and bypassed the tank. There was a bit of bucking but much less, could have been fact there was more pressure from gravity.
While playing with it today I noted there were bubbles that would come thru the fuel line into the filter (clear). Should this be happening?

On subject of new carb it does not want to adjust very much, suggestions?

Thanks for all suggestions
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my carb and did a full tune up, I used Rob and Dave's procedure:

http://vw-resource.com/tune_up.html#idle

It worked wonderfully for me and this will help you identify all the correct parts of the carb:

http://vw-resource.com/carb_41.html

Your new carb should be easy to adjust correctly. Perhaps you need to adjust it in relation to the timing, etc. as detailed in the tune up procedure.

Also, my fuel filter only fills about half way when the engine is running.

Good luck.

Mark
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

73pumpkinthing wrote:
The carb is new. I did as "doublecanister" suggested and bypassed the tank. There was a bit of bucking but much less, could have been fact there was more pressure from gravity.
While playing with it today I noted there were bubbles that would come thru the fuel line into the filter (clear). Should this be happening?

On subject of new carb it does not want to adjust very much, suggestions?

Thanks for all suggestions

Hey 73pumpkinthing, that's a good sign that bypassing changed it a bit.
Not sure if gravity would do much for fuel pressure.
Do you think you have trash in the tank (which now) may be in the carb?

Honestly I've not mucked with fuel pumps or pressures yet.

I had to pull the top off my carb and get the rust particles out of it when I found out it was getting rust particles thru the fuel filter. Did this twice actually.

And sometimes You wouldn't think its the carb "cause it's new" but new stuff can be bad.

anyways

I have one other idea...
not tried this myself but can you run a small fuel tank and hose to the carb
(and bypass the fuel pump). Prob cant drive it this way but could run test it. not sure it would help. gravity would feed the carb.

if it still bucks, (in this test) it's the carb,
either it's clogged, or the anti-dieseling solenoid maybe? Mine was dirty and it wouldn't idle for squat.

But, this problem is sounding like fuel starvation.

That's best guess from what I'm reading and have experienced.

Please keep us in the loop. I hope figure it out.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: At wits end Reply with quote

My thing would cut and miss up a dirt road everyday. I'd stop and it would just hum. Drove me bonkers. Turned out the ignition fuse was a bit loose. Sometimes its just the dumbest thing. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: