Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

I took a wire wheel to it and cleaned them up a bit but was just wondering what the norm is. Do you guys paint them, soak them in degreaser, oil them afterwards, etc?

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

Looks like you've stumbled upon the right procedure! A little bit of light grease on the internal bits, and you should be good to go ... Nice work.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

for a thorough cleaning spray the insides with easy off oven cleaner ; this will get all the grease out of the mechanism ; cleaning the outside with a wire brush is a great start .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

Nice!! X2 on hitting the mechanisms with some grease and good to go!

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

wire wheel will alter the surface finish, forever change the striker plate texture and remove the zinc plating off the lock mechanism.

It would have been far better to soak them in mineral spirits to clean them and grease as needed. Grease on some surfaces will last longer than oil, originally they were greased. grease in a syringe is useful for getting into tight places.

for restoration, places do re-plate these parts.

a light touch with fine steel wool is better for the striker plate, but make it a very light touch.

now that the latch is stripped of zinc, best to degrease it and rattle can it with some silver paint, then grease the insides. do not load up the insides with paint. your need to paint it as with the zinc plating gone, it will now rust badly

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

LOTS of stuff on YOUTUBE and ebay for diy zinc plating ......
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

These parts are made of aluminum, can not be galvanized.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

62italian, I've read your build, and I don't doubt your knowledge, but while I think the striker block is solid aluminum, I THINK the door latching mechanism is steel.

Extremebean,
I had a lot of fun setting up a home electroplating kit. Here is the article I found to get me started. Zinc plating is a helluva lot of fun AND inexpensive (and relatively safe).
http://www.southsandia.com/forum/website/zincplating.html
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

I think that a part of door latching mechanism is aluminium
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

Striker is aluminum, the latch assembly is galvanized stamped steel. The rust on the latch is your first clue. Grab a magnet if you doubt it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

62italianragtop did refinish a ton of stuff on his bug, so he may be right. I would do as Keith suggests and try a magnet on the different parts of the latching mechanism. If it all turns out yo be steel, you should be good to go for zinc.

If non-removable parts are aluminum, you'll need a plan B.

The part I am most suspicious of is the latch housing; the part that sticks out of the door when the latch is installed, and engages the striker plate. I'll try a magnet on mine when I head out through the garage...
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

The magnet stuck soundly to mine.
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys restore door lock mechanisms hardware? Reply with quote

Steel

Alluminium

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: