Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Yes, this question has been asked a thousand times - but after much searching I don't think anyone has this sort of scenario...

Fresh rebuild 1679; Single relief case; MaxiPump 5; Full flow / external filter

I've been cranking w/ just the starter to prime the oil system... Pulled the sending unit to watch for oil - nothing (bone dry).

So I took the filter out of the loop and just ran a short hose from outlet to inlet on the case - still nothing.

Poured some oil down the hose into the outlet and cranked backwards. Watched the oil get sucked in, hooked it back up, tried again - nothing.

I pulled the hose from the case inlet and cranked just to verify the pump is working - yes, it is gushing oil.

So where is all the oil going??? The pump is pushing it.... but it's never reaching the sending unit hole?

What dumb mistake am I missing here??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

If you put oil in the outlet tube again and don't crank it will the oil still drain down? If so someone forgot a gear. The next option if your oil level is to low to prime it. Usually builders put thick oil or assembly lube in the pump to promote priming. If not it is harder in some cases to get the prime started. I would check the level and add a little more if you aren't sure. If the car is jacked up in the back that will make things worse for priming.
Did you prefill the filter?
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
If you put oil in the outlet tube again and don't crank it will the oil still drain down? If so someone forgot a gear. The next option if your oil level is to low to prime it. Usually builders put thick oil or assembly lube in the pump to promote priming. If not it is harder in some cases to get the prime started. I would check the level and add a little more if you aren't sure. If the car is jacked up in the back that will make things worse for priming.
Did you prefill the filter?

It does not drain back down / no missing gear (that would be a bonehead move I wouldn't put myself past Rolling Eyes)

I did not put grease on the gears / really don't want to pull exhaust, tin, and pulley to do so. My last build primed OK w/o any grease.

If anything, I think I may be slightly over full right now on oil level. Yes, I did pre-fill the oil filter (however, it is currently not in the oil system loop as I have a "bypass" hose for testing now)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't know you built it. Any chance you got the shorter pump and it not contacting the cam slot? If you are sure about that then I would fill the outlet hose a couple times and spin it in reverse. if the gears are moving like you say then that will fill the oil pick up tube. Then when you use the starter it should be primed. You may also want to verify the oil plunger is installed and seated correctly.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Relief valve stuck down?
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

andy198712 wrote:
Relief valve stuck down?

Re reading your post, it's not coming out the pump right? If so scrap my idea
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

andy198712 wrote:
andy198712 wrote:
Relief valve stuck down?

Re reading your post, it's not coming out the pump right? If so scrap my idea

Oil is coming out of the pump, correct. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere once it is fed back into the case? (As in, it is not ever reaching the oil sender hole)
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Sorry I didn't know you built it. Any chance you got the shorter pump and it not contacting the cam slot? If you are sure about that then I would fill the outlet hose a couple times and spin it in reverse. if the gears are moving like you say then that will fill the oil pick up tube. Then when you use the starter it should be primed. You may also want to verify the oil plunger is installed and seated correctly.

The maxi pump 5 says it's for flat cams or performance cams w/ bolt on gears - so should be correct for my Engle W100?

I know the plunger is installed and seemed to move freely up & down in the bore. How would you describe begin seated "correctly"? I did use a new plunger, spring, and have an oil temp sender instead of the typical screw that holds it in.
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

So, if you disconnect the line going from pump to filter adapter, oil comes out of it?

I fill the filter with oil, even then it takes a while to crank before light goes out. You sure it isn't still filling the filter?

Stan
My budget 2276 build
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

If you have oil pressure at the oil line going to the case and none at the oil pressure switch hole, you must have some sort of blockage in the case between those two points.......I have seen insect nests built in oil passages. I saw one that looked like rolled up tree or bush leaves!!!

Try a rubber tipped blow gun from the op switch hole and blow through the oil line fitting in the case.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

If the filter were backwards? Or the Oil Pressure relief plunger were perhaps stuck or missing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

hmm is the pump drilled for the maxie in&out cover? was the pump pluged? I never fill the pump with greessee oil should do fine. but be sure the case is full and the emgine/car isant nose down. the oil in the cam chamber helps keep the pump from sucking air around the case/pump interfearance clearance fit. also is the relief valve in corectly? is the spring in there? can you blow through the oil pressure port and it come out the oil pump?

if the pump is pumping and there is a blockage like a pluged pump body or not a in/out pump you can damage the cam/oil pump drive/slot. so figer it out.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

AggieZig wrote:
yamaducci wrote:

The maxi pump 5 says it's for flat cams or performance cams w/ bolt on gears - so should be correct for my Engle W100?

I know the plunger is installed and seemed to move freely up & down in the bore. How would you describe begin seated "correctly"? I did use a new plunger, spring, and have an oil temp sender instead of the typical screw that holds it in.

Sounds like you got the matching parts.The plunger being seated means it goes all the way down the bore freely and seals off the port positively. The thing is with those aftermarket plungers is they are not usually perfectly flat and need to be polished flat. Also if it's an old case the case can get chatter marks in the seat over the hears and those marks cause leakage and lower oil pressure. Just something to consider.
In my build thread I show how to work on the relief port/plunger.

AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
If you have oil pressure at the oil line going to the case and none at the oil pressure switch hole, you must have some sort of blockage in the case between those two points.......I have seen insect nests built in oil passages. I saw one that looked like rolled up tree or bush leaves!!!

Try a rubber tipped blow gun from the op switch hole and blow through the oil line fitting in the case.

I'll try to blow some air up the "inlet" in the case today and see what happens. I'm positive the galleries are free though because I ran high pressure cleaner / water / air through them just before the build.

Danwvw wrote:
If the filter were backwards? Or the Oil Pressure relief plunger were perhaps stuck or missing.

There's no filter at the moment as I just used a piece of oil line to make a "closed loop" to test.

mark tucker wrote:
hmm is the pump drilled for the maxie in&out cover? was the pump pluged? I never fill the pump with greessee oil should do fine. but be sure the case is full and the emgine/car isant nose down. the oil in the cam chamber helps keep the pump from sucking air around the case/pump interfearance clearance fit. also is the relief valve in corectly? is the spring in there? can you blow through the oil pressure port and it come out the oil pump?

if the pump is pumping and there is a blockage like a pluged pump body or not a in/out pump you can damage the cam/oil pump drive/slot. so figer it out.

So the case was drilled, tapped and plugged and also the MaxiPump 5 does not have an outlet as it comes - so there should be no way for any leakage. I'll make sure the car is nose down and see if that helps?

yamaducci wrote:
Sounds like you got the matching parts.The plunger being seated means it goes all the way down the bore freely and seals off the port positively. The thing is with those aftermarket plungers is they are not usually perfectly flat and need to be polished flat. Also if it's an old case the case can get chatter marks in the seat over the hears and those marks cause leakage and lower oil pressure. Just something to consider.
In my build thread I show how to work on the relief port/plunger.

I'll check the plunger if all else fails. Thanks for the help!!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Ok so you have it coming out the surface of the pump and into the case right?

Probably this one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

And you blocked off the original case feed so it can't leak right?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Start with simple stuff. Does oil come out of "out" port of pump cover? If it does, and you plumb that directly to the "in" fitting on the case, if you remove the pressure sender and crank is there oil coming out of pressure sender hole?

Stan
My budget 2276 build
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

It can only be two things from what youve said, blockage or relief spring-plunger problem. You have oil coming out so pump is primed and you dont need the case side capped. If your pump leaks that bad your gonna have suction problems too.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Pull the tin, pulley, exhaust, and pump. something doesn't add up.
AggieZig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure... what gives? (New Rebuild) Reply with quote

Played a little yesterday - I blew air through the case inlet and it flowed free out of the oil sender - no case blockage.

I pulled off the temp sender / relief plug and removed the spring - lots and lots of oil poured out. I went looking for my plunger remover tool and seemed to have misplaced it... fun stuff.

I'm thinking it has to be that the plunger is seating too far down and causing oil to immediately bypass the cooler / sending unit route?

I'll know more / post an update when I get a chance to head back into the garage and find my removal tool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: