Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have experience with a metal roof?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

We use a thick foam rubber mat when up on the roof. It makes a great non slip surface to work off. And a rope tied to something solid on ground on the opposite side than you are working.
gravity sucks
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

If you tie it to the bumper of the car int eh driveway, make sure the keys are in your pocket!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

And tie off the top of the ladder so a gust of wind doesn't blow it over leaving you trapped up there. Not that something like that has ever happened to me, I just knew a guy who knew a guy..... Surprised Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
If you tie it to the bumper of the car int eh driveway, make sure the keys are in your pocket!

One of my dads buddies didn't do that, his wife hopped in the car & drove off, she dragged him up one side, down the other & about 80' down the driveway before she realized something was wrong. Fortunately he was only scraped & bruised, but he was really torn up.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

One of my dads buddies didn't do that, his wife hopped in the car & drove off, she dragged him up one side, down the other & about 80' down the driveway before she realized something was wrong. Fortunately he was only scraped & bruised, but he was really torn up.

I know if one guy here that did it, too. He was shoveling after some really heavy snowfall, so the snow piles broke his fall and slide down the driveway after his wife headed into town. His pride suffered a major blow, but his body was generally intact afterward.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Leave the hood open to remind everyone something is tied to the car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I know if one guy here that did it, too. He was shoveling after some really heavy snowfall, so the snow piles broke his fall and slide down the driveway after his wife headed into town. His pride suffered a major blow, but his body was generally intact afterward.

I tie myself to the chimney. Ain't no one tried to fire it up and drive away.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

chimney..... fire it up......

I see what you did there.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

I tie off to a fence post on the other side of the house while I clean my chimney. I have the chimney pipe disconnected from the top of the wood stove and place a bag around it. Hopefully that and the sound of me walking on the roof keeps one of my girls from "firing up" the wood stove.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
my59 wrote:

Metal roof has an expected life span of 30 to 40 years, about twice an asphalt shingle roof.
Costs more to install now, but labor is not getting cheaper. It all depends on how you look at real estate and construction. Kinda like cars, are you flipping something short term, or keeping it for the next generation?

Well, my shingle roof is about 25 years, and if I would get 25 years out of another shingle roof that would put me at 79 years old, and if a metal roof gets me maybe 35 years for a considerable amount more $, I'm not sure it's a wise investment. A lot can happen in 25 years.

A lot can happen. Leaving property to heirs that has been well kept makes a better estate.

My wife got all excited about buying a house as it checked off on her wish list. I started looking at it and everything, I mean every thing, roof, windows, AC, furnace, hot water heater, was all at the very end of life expectancy. House had been built new, everything installed at same time, and I think the owners were looking to dump it off before the big bills started rolling in. I thought their realtor was going to toss a fit when I gave them an offer, which was refused. The heirs ended up selling the house 18 months later for 10k less than my offer.

You get the benefit of quality living there as well as when you sell.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

^^^ This is a very valid point.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

To the heirs, expect nothing & you won't be disappointed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

chimney..... fire it up......

I see what you did there.

LOL, that wasn't my intent but I'm busted. I'm used to starting cars where sometimes they literally fire up.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

I live on a dead end road that has eight houses. People north of me have a log house which backs to a hill, making it highly protected from severe storms. The owner replaced his shingled roof with a metal roof about 8 months before a tornado skimmed our area a couple of years ago. He was livid his roof wouldn't get totaled after having been hit with hailstones just a few inches smaller in diameter than a basketball. That same storm hurled baseball sized hailstones at my roof and punched a few holes in it. I pointed out to him that 1) he had two very minor dents in his roof, which 2) were barely visible from the ground, and 3) was much better to deal with than having holes punched in the roof. He changed his tune and realized his roof held up well considering what hit it. I've been in his house during a severe rain storm and the sound difference is negligible.

I've wanted a metal roof for years and am looking to replace my six year old totaled and patched roof with one. One thing no one has mentioned is a metal roof us cheaper to insure than other materials. Think about that before going cheapest. The nickels you save today may cost you tens of dollars tomorrow. House insurance rates in Oklahoma are proof positive of that.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

There is a house in my neighborhood that had a metal roof installed and it seems to me that it just looks too industrial compared to the other houses around it... fwiw...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
There is a house in my neighborhood that had a metal roof installed and it seems to me that it just looks too industrial compared to the other houses around it... fwiw...

I suppose that is one of those things to which you grow more accustomed the more you see it. Also, some styles (standing seam for example) tend to have a more "industrial" look to them.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

there are somany diferent mettel roofs available and diferent things that can be done to them.the neibors across the street&down the side of the mountain a tad from my parents home in the smokeys .were "rusticized" when they built the house, so they just look like a partly rusted tin roof. for some reason it just dosent look industrial.......
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
atmellovw wrote:

I suppose that is one of those things to which you grow more accustomed the more you see it. Also, some styles (standing seam for example) tend to have a more "industrial" look to them.

Metal roofs were the norm on houses, save for wood shingles and ceramic tile, until after WWII. The rise of suburbs created the need for cheap roofing material, and since oil was such a low cost commodity back then, guess what material was selected.

Shingles make no sense where I live. We can experience strong winds and extreme thunderstorms which will tear off a lot of shingles and total a roof in short order.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
atmellovw wrote:

Metal roofs were the norm on houses, save for wood shingles and ceramic tile, until after WWII. The rise of suburbs created the need for cheap roofing material, and since oil was such a low cost commodity back then, guess what material was selected.

Shingles make no sense where I live. We can experience strong winds and extreme thunderstorms which will tear off a lot of shingles and total a roof in short order.

Agreed. Around here, shingles are used on cut-and-paste housing developments. Metal rooves are seen on well kept older homes, and on newer homes with larger budgets/forward thinking owners.

I just thought of yet another point concerning metal roofing. Gutters are nearly impossible in snow country. We have had several homeowners that insisted on gutter install after we built the home. We try to warn them that the first time a foot of wet, heavy snow slowly creeps off the roof their new gutters will be on the ground, buried deeply under that snow until spring. Some folks actually have new gutters installed the next summer, hoping for a different outcome.

Large over hangs, and proper waterproofing/drainage around the foundation makes the lack of gutters a non-issue.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I just thought of yet another point concerning metal roofing. Gutters are nearly impossible in snow country. We have had several homeowners that insisted on gutter install after we built the home. We try to warn them that the first time a foot of wet, heavy snow slowly creeps off the roof their new gutters will be on the ground, buried deeply under that snow until spring. Some folks actually have new gutters installed the next summer, hoping for a different outcome.

Large over hangs, and proper waterproofing/drainage around the foundation makes the lack of gutters a non-issue.

really? i find that hard to believe. metal roofs of various vintages in the entire hood. 36" snow dump and not a single gutter down. New roof just before winter, no problem - maybe it's my cooper half round? nah that's not it. Proper installation and the snow will not bring the gutter down and it's not the snow dams either. My guess pitch of the roof too shallow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: