Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have experience with a metal roof?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
If your wife is concerned with noise and aesthetics, noise is not an issue if there is space between it and you - as in attic space or the like. Even without such space you will only hear it with heavy rain, how often does that occur, and with just a little time you get used to it. About the only time it would really be bothersome is when you are trying to sleep. As for aesthetics be sure to look at actual chips and pick the color that suits your

Just the opposite. I grew up in a house with a tin roof, and the rain was the best part. It's calming, and it puts you right to sleep. Even a really heavy rain was relaxing.

Probably the worst part were squirrels. The roof magnified the sound so they sounded gigantic when they ran across it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

We have galvanized steel on 3 of our out buildings and after 30 years surface rust is starting to show in streaks. On my shop we used brown painted galvanized steel with no rust showing after 35 years. On our main house we used cement tiles, heavy but look great after 38 years.
Painted galvanized for the win in my opinion.
good luck
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
"Rooves of Steel".

That's a DEVO song, innit?

If it ain't, it outta be.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

coad wrote:
*Darren wrote:
If your wife is concerned with noise and aesthetics, noise is not an issue if there is space between it and you - as in attic space or the like. Even without such space you will only hear it with heavy rain, how often does that occur, and with just a little time you get used to it. About the only time it would really be bothersome is when you are trying to sleep. As for aesthetics be sure to look at actual chips and pick the color that suits your

Just the opposite. I grew up in a house with a tin roof, and the rain was the best part. It's calming, and it puts you right to sleep. Even a really heavy rain was relaxing.

Probably the worst part were squirrels. The roof magnified the sound so they sounded gigantic when they ran across it.

Agreed. I love listening to the rain on my shop roof. Don't really hear it in the house unless the window is open.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Metal roofs are just starting to infiltrate my area very slowly. I will need a new roof in the next year or 2(if I am lucky) but I have no knowledge of metal roofs. I don't even know anyone in my area that installs them. Just by reading this thread I am guessing metal is more expensive then shingles...but by how much? Has anyone done a price comparison between the 2?

Metal roof has an expected life span of 30 to 40 years, about twice an asphalt shingle roof.
Costs more to install now, but labor is not getting cheaper. It all depends on how you look at real estate and construction. Kinda like cars, are you flipping something short term, or keeping it for the next generation?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

Metal roof has an expected life span of 30 to 40 years, about twice an asphalt shingle roof.
Costs more to install now, but labor is not getting cheaper. It all depends on how you look at real estate and construction. Kinda like cars, are you flipping something short term, or keeping it for the next generation?

Well, my shingle roof is about 25 years, and if I would get 25 years out of another shingle roof that would put me at 79 years old, and if a metal roof gets me maybe 35 years for a considerable amount more $, I'm not sure it's a wise investment. A lot can happen in 25 years.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

I have neighbors with painted steel roofs that are now about 10 or 12 years old. All of them are faded and/or stained and look pretty bad.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
my59 wrote:

Well, my shingle roof is about 25 years, and if I would get 25 years out of another shingle roof that would put me at 79 years old, and if a metal roof gets me maybe 35 years for a considerable amount more $, I'm not sure it's a wise investment. A lot can happen in 25 years.

If I were building a new house that I planned to live in for 5 or 50 years, it would have a metal roof. And I might die tomorrow.

I just turned 45.

P.S. If I also built a shop out back, it would be metal, too. Then I would have ROOVES!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Rooves with grooves.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Rooves with grooves.

That sounds like the name for my next business venture! If I could just bring myself to leave the house...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Rooves with grooves when you moves.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

For the naysayers, let me be perfectly clear. In lieu of the generic heavy rain, let me replace with the term torrential. You know the kind of downpour you might get 2-4 times a year (depending where you live). The kind where the rain rockets off the roof over the gutter and turns the entire street into a river? More likely to be kept up be the lightning and certainly thunder. And of course some people are light sleepers etc, but again only matters if there is no space between living area and roof. In the one room of my house without that I can certainly nap on the couch during a nice steady rain.

The terne roof it replaced was 70+ years old and would still be on if some idiot hadn't goobered a patch in the valley.

The color of my roof is guaranteed for 35 years, so the roof itself should be good for that long I don't plan to be in the house that long. But living in a historic district I had no choice buy install a standing seam metal roof.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
As for aesthetics be sure to look at actual chips and pick the color that suits your house noting that color can affect reflective value. Other aesthetic things to consider are: Rolled vs capped peak, seam spacing and seam height and even seam width. Different companies may use different crimping devices and get slightly different results. Google some photos, some can appear antique and some can appear industrial simply due to those minor issues I brought up.

We looked at the chip samples and decided on a brick red color. The contractor offered to drive us around the nearest "big" town (pop. 6000) and look at actual roofs (rooves?) on real houses. We did so and ended up with a green roof. We are much happier.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Just by reading this thread I am guessing metal is more expensive then shingles...but by how much? Has anyone done a price comparison between the 2?

When we did ours (around 7 years ago) the cost for metal was about 40% more than asphalt shingles. This was in a very small town in a very remote area. Transportation costs were a major part of our total bid price.
No question in our minds that metal was the way to go. Worth every penny.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
Just by reading this thread I am guessing metal is more expensive then shingles...but by how much? Has anyone done a price comparison between the 2?

When we did ours (around 7 years ago) the cost for metal was about 40% more than asphalt shingles. This was in a very small town in a very remote area. Transportation costs were a major part of our total bid price.
No question in our minds that metal was the way to go. Worth every penny.

Thanks, that's the kind of number I was looking for.

Why do you think it was worth every penny? 40% is quite a bit.

I wonder what the percentages are that people stay in a house 25 years or more.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

Thanks, that's the kind of number I was looking for.
Why do you think it was worth every penny? 40% is quite a bit.
I wonder what the percentages are that people stay in a house 25 years or more.

As I mentioned earlier that house is in a very windy area. Every time there is a big windstorm the yards in town are decorated with shingles that have blown off. Ours does not blow off. Shingle roofs in the area are good for about 12-15 years on average. High altitude, very dry weather and a modest amount of snow and cold just end to wear them out fast. Based on our experience and that of neighbors I fully expect this roof to last way longer than that.
You say "40% is quite a bit" but you get what you pay for. We feel that the extra money put into our metal roof was "worth every penny".
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

A few other points to mention about metal roof installation. The kind I have used and am familiar with come in pieces that are 2-3feet wide by however long the roof run is. I have seen 30 foot long sheets of metal that are three feet wide. That is a lot of coverage all at once during install.

Outside of hip and valley flashing, a metal roof generally installs very quickly. Plus, the sheets can be slid up from the ground one by one. No need to carry heavy shingle bundles up a ladder. DIY folks tend to like that aspect. If you are hiring a contractor, it just means he needs to have a few strong guys, or some machinery to get the bundles up there.

Tons of other pros and cons to list, but in my neck of the woods with cold snowy winters and hot, breezy summers, nothing but metal will do.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

We got the original tin roof over our large front porch, app. 95 yrs. old. Pressure wash and repaint every 5 yrs., no rust. Whole house metal roofs are catching on here in western Pa., I would consider if we had not replaced ours 7 years ago, with 50 year shingles. Will out live me.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
A few other points to mention about metal roof installation. The kind I have used and am familiar with come in pieces that are 2-3feet wide by however long the roof run is. I have seen 30 foot long sheets of metal that are three feet wide. That is a lot of coverage all at once during install.

Outside of hip and valley flashing, a metal roof generally installs very quickly. Plus, the sheets can be slid up from the ground one by one. No need to carry heavy shingle bundles up a ladder. DIY folks tend to like that aspect. If you are hiring a contractor, it just means he needs to have a few strong guys, or some machinery to get the bundles up there.

Testify! One trick that is helpful if your help has R-U-N-N-O-F-T is a Vise-Grip tied to a length of rope for Jed-Clamp-it action to yank sheets or decking off the ground and over the eaves. Heave-ho! Good to be upwind of the sheets, so to speak- they can be sharp-edged.
Hip and valley boogering-around is a good test of one's understanding of geometry- got me a few screwed up backwards-upside-downsky pieces that way...d'oh.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Testify! One trick that is helpful if your help has R-U-N-N-O-F-T is a Vise-Grip tied to a length of rope for Jed-Clamp-it action to yank sheets or decking off the ground and over the eaves. Heave-ho! Good to be upwind of the sheets, so to speak- they can be sharp-edged.
Hip and valley boogering-around is a good test of one's understanding of geometry- got me a few screwed up backwards-upside-downsky pieces that way...d'oh.

^^^ Very true. I am usually the guy on the job that gets to mess with all the weird angles and stuff.

A large C-clamp is very good for creating a handle on sheet goods, too. We have hoisted many things that way over the years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: