Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have experience with a metal roof?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

After a large limb (6" in diameter &15' long) fell on my roof & entered a bedroom, I'll be replacing the roof. I've been entertaining adding a metal roof over the existing roof (after repairing it). While common many years ago especially in rural areas, they seem to be coming back into fashion. I like the added R value of having the additional layer. Does anyone have experience with a metal roof? Pros/cons?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

I know metal roofs are noisy, but if it is added as a layer over the existing shingle roof, but would think it might be quieter than just the shingle roof (on the inside anyway.).

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

It all depends on the roof material. Old school standing seam copper goes on over rosin paper to let it slide as it expands and contracts. Galvalume also has to expand and contract, and you can hear the roof 'tink' as it does so.
I have never seen one go on over an existing roof, all have been on wood sheathing.
How many layers of roofing are on the roof? Typically code says a 3rd layer is no go.
The steel roofs I have done are steel pans with clips nailed into the deck. The clips allow for expansion, and the standing semester joint gets a seperate cover.
Only issue has been one panel sliding down because of an ice situation; the roofer came back, pulled the cover and slid it back up and reinstalled the cover. Has not repeted
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

We have a Nuray Metals Galvalume roof on one of our cabins in Joshua Tree, CA. It's been on about eight years now and still looks like the day it was installed. We're in a severe wind area and what sold us was how the trim flashing seals all of the roof perimeter...essentially keeping the wind out. The fasteners are also hidden. It reminded me of Hot Wheels track the way it went together...

FWIW...Our install was directly over 40# felt paper on a plywood deck.

We've watched composition shingle clad new homes built near us since our install lose shingles (sometimes many!) when severe wind rolls through. The peace of mind that came with the added cost of a metal roof was a no brainer for us...

http://www.nuraymetals.com/
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

My mom's house had a metal roof but that was so the snow wouldn't pile up on it. I guess as long as it's well insulated underneath then heat transfer won't be an issue. Roof held up well but not the vents so much when the snow would slide off and take them out. Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

I helped my brother put one on his home, that was some funny shit right there watching him slide down that slipery under layer he used and bust his ass. he loves it, a lot lower ac bill too. but we kinda cheeted, he has a 3/12 shingle roof, witch we removed...totaly 5 rafter/trusses at a time and installed some twice as wide as the house. so he now has 2 floor home. and a totaly covered patio out back and about 8-12 feet over hang on the front Shocked .and no insulation in the celing now..... the roof up that high shades the house. as for the rain noise.....it will put you to sleep. the county jumped on his ass for the reroofing permit....I cant figure out why...we re roofed it. Wink
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

We have a metal roof on a house in the Eastern Sierra two hours south of Lake Tahoe. The winds up there can really blow - like recorded speeds above 100 mph. After having to get the roof repaired twice in the first 18 months we decided it was time for a metal roof. 7 years later and no problems. You can hear hard rain and hail on the roof, but softly. Rain hitting the skylight is much noisier. We consider the roof to be "forever".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

I have a barn that needs a new roof (PO installed early fiberglass/asphalt shingles that failed) and I think I will go with metal.
There are also clips for metal roofing to install solar panels, if that matters.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

My cottage has a very flat roof that was poorly insulated and ventilated as well. The shingles would just bake, so I went metal. A key thing was adding this stuff underneath:

https://www.hunterpanels.com/product-documents/hpanels/speciality-products/103-cool-vent/file

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fixed the ventilation issues and made a huge difference in heat gain/loss. Probably because of the added space and insulation, but it seems actually quieter than the old roof. It cost a lot more, but I should get some of that back in utilities, and it will be the last roof I buy in my lifetime.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm really interested in the metal roof, I just have to get my better half to agree (she's concerned about noise & aesthetics. (The house has a gambrel style roof, so it already looks like a barn.)) The appraiser is putting in a recommendation for a new roof (my59, single layer original roof, from 1971 Shocked .) now all I have to do is wait until the insurance company responds.

RHD Notch, I'm looking into Union corrugating company, they seem like the local, east cost version (but they have some good "how to" vids.).

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Do it. Shingles are the worst, especially when littering the yard after a windstorm.

Case in point: This afternoon we had a freakishly torrential hailstorm. A shingle roof would have taken a bad beating and required repair without question, but a good steel roof just shrugs it off.
I did my own roof about ten years back and I found it far easier than dealing with 1,000,000 pounds of Godforsaken shingles.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Metal roofs (rooves?) are the norm in these parts. I have installed a handful over the years. My house and shop both have metal covering, and anything I build for myself in the future will also have metal. Even if you use the less expensive version they are still a 40-50 year product if kept clean.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Thank you sir, had I decided to take a poll, I think this might have been a rare occasion where it would have been overwhelmingly in favor of something.

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Metal roofs (rooves?)

Motion is carried. Rooves it is!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Metal roofs (rooves?)

Motion is carried. Rooves it is!

Validation is an integral part of one's daily routine.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

"Rooves" should be a word- after all, Walt Whitman didn't entitle his collection of poetry Leafs Of Grass now, did he?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
"Rooves" should be a word- after all, Walt Whitman didn't entitle his collection of poetry Leafs Of Grass now, did he?

I am now feeling inspired to write a tome entitled "Rooves of Steel".

Where's my pencil?
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

If your wife is concerned with noise and aesthetics, noise is not an issue if there is space between it and you - as in attic space or the like. Even without such space you will only hear it with heavy rain, how often does that occur, and with just a little time you get used to it. About the only time it would really be bothersome is when you are trying to sleep. As for aesthetics be sure to look at actual chips and pick the color that suits your house noting that color can affect reflective value. Other aesthetic things to consider are: Rolled vs capped peak, seam spacing and seam height and even seam width. Different companies may use different crimping devices and get slightly different results. Google some photos, some can appear antique and some can appear industrial simply due to those minor issues I brought up.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
"Rooves of Steel".

That's a DEVO song, innit?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with a metal roof? Reply with quote

Metal roofs are just starting to infiltrate my area very slowly. I will need a new roof in the next year or 2(if I am lucky) but I have no knowledge of metal roofs. I don't even know anyone in my area that installs them. Just by reading this thread I am guessing metal is more expensive then shingles...but by how much? Has anyone done a price comparison between the 2?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: