Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Performance Exhaust Systems
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: High Performance Exhaust Systems Reply with quote

I've been agonizing over stroker engines for my Thing, really unsure on which way I want to go, how big etc.
I had a 2110 in my crew cab years ago with an A-1 1 5/8" set up, heater boxes and all...it was awesome, but I don't know if I want to go that route with the Thing, one, because of cost, two, I don't really like the looks.
So, I'm thinking smaller stroker, smaller valves heads, and go with a 1 1/2" exhaust which opens up using an exhaust from Vintage Speed or the hi-po one from the Thing Shop.
So yeah, that's my story, just looking for advice.
Thanks!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: High Performance Exhaust Systems Reply with quote

Kymco VW had a raised header for Things, but I think they may have gone out of business. Al's Headers in Anaheim made them so you may want to give them a call. They had 1 3/8, 1 1/2 and 1 5/8 avail
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: High Performance Exhaust Systems Reply with quote

Don't limit yourself on engine size just because you don't like the exhaust! The Thing, like a bus, we're underpowered from the factory so big engines make them even more fun Smile

I built the exhaust for my 2232, exits out the stock bumper holes, and sounds good. If you are unsure of what direction you want to go as far as size, we can likely point you in the right direction.

As far as cost goes, once you get into the stroker realm, the difference between a 74 and 84 stroke crank is minimal, and bigger is ususally always better.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: High Performance Exhaust Systems Reply with quote

In my 2054 stroker I have an A-1 sidewinder exhaust. I am very happy, it is not cheap, but they have a Thing special that keeps all your ground clearance. This is the only performance exhaust I have seen that does that.
This is from a previous posting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: High Performance Exhaust Systems Reply with quote

I'm always interested in creative ideas for an exhaust system with outlets that exit through the bumper holes.
Bashr-
I'd be interested in some photos of your home built setup if you have some available to post.

My '74 has a stock system I bought at the VW dealer in 1983. It's been weld/repaired twice, but it's hanging in there.
Over the years, I have used the S&S header system, a strange (NLA) system called the "Outback" which resembled one of those Monza mufflers, but it was made for a Thing with outlets through the bumper holes. It's lying around here somewhere.
I like the muffler behind the engine for easy access to the valve covers.
The new Vintage Speed muffler looks OK; a little expensive.
I have toyed with the idea of a system resembling the original Kubelwagen with the mufflers near the rear torsion bars...

It would be a tough trick with heat exchangers.

Anyway, I'm always curious to see what others have done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: High Performance Exhaust Systems Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I'm always interested in creative ideas for an exhaust system with outlets that exit through the bumper holes.
Bashr-
I'd be interested in some photos of your home built setup if you have some available to post.

My '74 has a stock system I bought at the VW dealer in 1983. It's been weld/repaired twice, but it's hanging in there.
Over the years, I have used the S&S header system, a strange (NLA) system called the "Outback" which resembled one of those Monza mufflers, but it was made for a Thing with outlets through the bumper holes. It's lying around here somewhere.
I like the muffler behind the engine for easy access to the valve covers.
The new Vintage Speed muffler looks OK; a little expensive.
I have toyed with the idea of a system resembling the original Kubelwagen with the mufflers near the rear torsion bars...

It would be a tough trick with heat exchangers.

Anyway, I'm always curious to see what others have done.

Here is the best I have right now. I modeled it after an exhaust system that is NLA.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: