Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the economy really as bad as they say?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Moderator time:
Let's not get into political stuff please.

It always goes there huh? They can't help it.

The economy is political is it not? Isn't money the main reason people vote the way they do? Wink
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Wendy's is joining the self order kiosk trend too to get ahead of the demanded $15/hr min wage. Soon, the entry level job will be in the "remember when" topic.

Hmmmmm I think very soon after that cranky old guys that dwell in the past are going to be a topic that won't be missed. Very Happy

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This thread reminds me of the angry old man skit on Saturday Night Live.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
And the grumpy old man train rolls on. Very Happy

But it so much fun to see you continuously whine about it. Rolling Eyes

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu May 26, 2016 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Wendy's is joining the self order kiosk trend too to get ahead of the demanded $15/hr min wage. Soon, the entry level job will be in the "remember when" topic.

Yes and if a BigMac costs $12 and a side of fries $8 then maybe the *fat asses in this country will make better choices and start buying healthier food. Then the "fast food" market will crumble and we'll have conquered that blight on America.

* I am a fat ass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Yes and if a BigMac costs $12 and a side of fries $8 then maybe the *fat asses in this country will make better choices and start buying healthier food. Then the "fast food" market will crumble and we'll have conquered that blight on America.

HA!, but we'll be paying $30 for an orange at that point...

while shit food goes up, heathy food go up even higher..

you gonna buy the $1.00 MC double the $1.25 grapefruit for lunch??
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Diversify,educate,and get involved in your own portfolio for the future. I've never been a stock market guy but that has not cut me out of 10% plus returns buying and selling. I DO spend plenty of hours making this happen. There is a staggering amount of money in this country and countless ways to get involved with it. I never saw 40 hrs per week as the "stopping point", above average results require above average participation. Still driving my 69 bus after 30 years and 600K miles. Smart buys in food,shelter,and transportation are a great way to start.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Hmmmmm I think very soon after that cranky old guys that dwell in the past are going to be a topic that won't be missed. Very Happy

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This thread reminds me of the angry old man skit on Saturday Night Live.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
And the grumpy old man train rolls on. Very Happy

But it so much fun to see you continuously whine about it. Rolling Eyes

Naw, what I notice is that your neatly veiled remember when thing always circles back to political garbage and now the Mods are watching. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

There you go again.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Diversify,educate,and get involved in your own portfolio for the future. I've never been a stock market guy but that has not cut me out of 10% plus returns buying and selling. I DO spend plenty of hours making this happen. There is a staggering amount of money in this country and countless ways to get involved with it. I never saw 40 hrs per week as the "stopping point", above average results require above average participation. Still driving my 69 bus after 30 years and 600K miles. Smart buys in food,shelter,and transportation are a great way to start.

Absolutely!

the 40hr. job thing is for those who need someone else to lead their destiny..
"be hear at this time, eat lunch at this time, work until this time..Put your money into this 401K plan, buy this Ins., buy this type of car, live in this type of house/neighborhood, keep up an image.."

If you don't know how to earn, use, and spend your $$$, someone else will do it for you!!

life is a 24hr. a day event. spend half of it aimed towards a better future and that's an 84hr. a week "job"
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

Absolutely!

the 40hr. job thing is for those who need someone else to lead their destiny..
"be hear at this time, eat lunch at this time, work until this time..Put your money into this 401K plan, buy this Ins., buy this type of car, live in this type of house/neighborhood, keep up an image.."

If you don't know how to earn, use, and spend your $$$, someone else will do it for you!!

life is a 24hr. a day event. spend half of it aimed towards a better future and that's an 84hr. a week "job"

I thought keeping my 50+ year old cars running was the 84 hours a week job. Wink
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
The flip side of the coin is too many employers treat hourly wage employees as disposable. There are so many people that have lost middle income jobs in the last 8 years that are intelligent and competent filling these jobs. They end up treating their jobs as disposable because they aren't valued. The only people that stay any length of time are the ones from the shallow muddy end of the employee pool. Shit jobs are dime a dozen, shit employees are a dime a dozen. Employers have to recognize decent employees when they get them because decent employees recognize shit jobs immediately and will leave in short time once a bad management style reveals itself.

Bill

This happened to me. I was building truck bodies with bucket lifts on them. We built multiple other types of bodies as well, with different configurations.The Vice President started as a welder on the floor. And new what it took to build a truck. New owners took over. The Vice President retired in two months. They started to implement lean manufacturing. I believe lean manufacturing has value but for some people it replaces their common sense. They were all about hiring temporary workers that they paid more to the temp agency than they did me with 8 years of experience. This was a small shop so every one had multiple jobs and sometimes I would install some thing, sometimes someone else would install it. The skills that were needed to build these trucks could not be taught in 10 min. In fact you could work every day for a couple of weeks and not repeat a job. As they were setting up the floor the new manager asked me and another guy to figure out new tools that we needed, during our lunch time. We have a 1/2 our lunch. Lifts would come in 4 or 5 at a time. The guy that installed them would unload them and check every one for all the correct or missing parts, there would be plenty of missing parts. Under the new owners that was a waste of time, to check that stuff. We will just send them a list of the parts we need. I'm thinking" hello, they are already pulling parts form a list and they are screwing it up. This is where the lean manufacturing mentality replaces common sense. So, when we go to install the lift and it's missing parts, we can't finish it until they call the lift manufacturer and have the parts shipped in. We would go on to something else and some one else would go back and finish it which opened up more opportunity to have errors, especially with temporary workers. It would take us 3 weeks to build a body and install a lift. We had a manager who just started and new nothing say" yeah, we're going to get a bunch of temporary workers and build a truck a week. We were stunned with his display of ignorance. We had a 55 year old worker go out to get his shoulder fixed and yes it should of been under workers comp. This was the only job he had and his shoulder issue came on slow, not from an accident.
When he tried to return his doctor would not release him at 100%. The company told him if he could not come back at 100%, he could not come back. So he's 55 years old with no job. In my opinion they took an oppotunity to get rid of a high dollar man. I know the legal mumbo jumbo but why would you want to work there. I an now building food trucks for about a year with less benefits but more money and very happy with my job. I think this economy has forced companies to do even more with less people. It has created low paying jobs and people choose not to work them, when there is no opportunity to advance. 95 million people stopped looking for a job. Some of this is also due to people expecting good paying jobs out of college just because they have a degree. You still have to work your way up. The way I see it, get a job, work hard, keep looking for a better job, work hard, keep looking for an even better job, but always work hard. One company careers are long gone. It took me 3 years to find my new job. Sorry for the rant but the economy is bad and people's attitudes are bad. I believe the attitudes are because of our government.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I'm not sure if you know Clark Howard but a couple of years ago had reported a story. McDonald's was looking at setting up a call center to take drive up window orders. Yes, order at your local McDonald's, the person taking it could be in another state and electronically transfer it back to your store. That way they could staff a call center according to the demands across the U.S.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I'm not sure if you know Clark Howard but a couple of years ago had reported a story. McDonald's was looking at setting up a call center to take drive up window orders. Yes, order at your local McDonald's, the person taking it could be in another state and electronically transfer it back to your store. That way they could staff a call center according to the demands across the U.S.

Due to the fact that they would be replacing a person in the store with yet another person in that scenario, I'm sure that was in response to their inability to find articulate English speaking personnel willing to work for minimum wage in certain areas.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

hmm so i could work at wendys in cali from my couch with no language isshoes......issyous?...isuzu's? issues Wink
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
hmm so i could work at wendys in cali from my couch with no language isshoes......issyous?...isuzu's? issues Wink

dapends on iffen youze speekin is moe bettor than yoz's spelin Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I worked for one of Americas largest computer manufactures back in the day.
McDonalds was discussing/exploring this idea in the late 1980s! At that time, they foresaw call centers in (of course) India, but were concerned with satellite communications reliability (Plan B would have been too slow.) The idea was mostly pre-assembled burgers & such, with last minute, post-order customization. They were also considering accepting card payments. (In the 80s, cash was still the predominate payment method.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

"Yes"

Short Story.

I worked in the grocery industry w..a..y back in the late 70s - early 80s and was making $14.00 an hour with full benefits to include dental / optic. I worked as many hours as I wanted, made time and a half on Sundays and double time on Holidays.

Now, go into a grocery market now-a-days and they people working there are part timers making a little over minimum wage with no benefits whatsoever! And, the price of food has gone through the roof!

Retail Food has always been a very good barometer on how a economy is doing.

"Folks" we are in trouble...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
I worked in the grocery industry w..a..y back in the late 70s - early 80s and was making $14.00 an hour with full benefits to include dental / optic. I worked as many hours as I wanted, made time and a half on Sundays and double time on Holidays.

Now, go into a grocery market now-a-days and they people working there are part timers making a little over minimum wage with no benefits whatsoever! And, the price of food has gone through the roof!

There is a sign at my local Grocery Store that they are hiring, I think it says "Up to $11.85/hr"

I was seriously was like WTF, $11.85 is the MAX?
My friend used to be a checker in the mid 1980s and he was making like $15/hr. Subtract from that whatever the union dues were... don't know if they are still unionized.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Subtract from that whatever the union dues were... don't know if they are still unionized.

stop & shop workers here are. my former co-workers lady friend works there. not sure what she makes per hour

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

That is minimum wage work here, mostly held by part timers needing extra income. Able - bodied younger workers are all off to the grow houses to be "bud-tenders". The share economy has also provided a whole world of opportunity not previously explored. Bad economy? try 1982-83, way tough to find any entry level job.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the economy really as bad as they say? Reply with quote

I bet someone or group of someones can't wait to unionize that whole industry. Or will the industry keep unions out in favor of cheaper "seasonal employees"?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: