Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Axle assembly question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Rear Axle assembly question Reply with quote

As part of my restoration, I'm replacing the rear axles. I've seen various qualities and prices for replacement assemblies.

My question is this ... If I plan on street and highway driving only, is a "lower quality" axle adequate? As an example, there's an assembly on Amazon that claims to be a fit for $48.00 each, shipped. I think it's technically a Super Beetle axle but not sure.

thoughts?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle assembly question Reply with quote

My advice is to stick with what you already have, and just replace the worn pieces.

Things use different CV joints than Beetles or Busses, although the CV boots are the same as on Busses.

If your CV Joints and boots are serviceable, just clean and re-grease them. It's a messy job, but worth the effort.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigDaddyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle assembly question Reply with quote

ok got it.

how about a few more "i'm clueless" questions-

- what's a stub axle? is that the axle going through the wheel that the main axle connects to?

- what's the difference in a IRS and non-IRS axle assembly? i thought they were all IRS

thanks
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle assembly question Reply with quote

You need to get a workshop manual.
Take a look at this photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a lousy photo, but right in the center you see the transaxle drain plug. On either side of that, you see the inner CV joints. You can also see the outer CV joints, which are bolted to the stub axles. The stub axles have a flange which is bolted to the outer CV joints. They pass through the rear wheel bearings in the diagonal arms, and have a splined section to engage the splines on the rear brake drums, to make the car go.

Swing axle Things are unusual (in the US) but can be recognized as the entire wheel end pivots (swings) from the transaxle.
Photo from the gallery:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These cars are a lot of fun to work on, so have fun.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: