Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Hub Bearings
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

I've read several post on this subject by searching and most write-ups are on earlier bay window buses and I have a '77.

How hard is it to take out later bay window rear hub bearings to just repack them? Is there a possibility of damaging anything? I've read that I could damage the races...but not sure why I would need to take out the races if I'm just repacking the bearings? I'm kinda lost on this.

I currently am working back there and I figure it might be a good time to repack them as I don't have any wheel play.

Any info/help is much appreciated.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

it is a job that one cannot screw up on.

Do you have a torque wrench that goes to 253 ft lbs?

A lead or brass hammer?

Gear puller?

Good snap ring pliers?

Know how to adjust the brakes when done?

Have a Bentley manual and have you read the chapter on rear suspension?

If you said yes to all then you probably can handle it.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
it is a job that one cannot screw up on.

Do you have a torque wrench that goes to 253 ft lbs?

A lead or brass hammer?

Gear puller?

Good snap ring pliers?

Know how to adjust the brakes when done?

Have a Bentley manual and have you read the chapter on rear suspension?

If you said yes to all then you probably can handle it.

7 outta 8. Not too shabby.

It's a job that I've never done on a bus before. It seems everyone has different bearing types as far as encased bearings and free bearings. These write-ups and post replies make everything so friggin' complicated.

So I need a puller to get the bearings out like on a late model beetle? All the write-ups I've seen have not mentioned anything about a puller. Oh well.

Just looking to do a repack and was wondering if the bearing just come out like front wheel bearings do or if I have to remove races and what not. I don't want to go pulling bearings out and later find out that I destroyed races and what not without having the replacement parts on hand.

-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to be disagreeable here and suggest that "repacking the rear bearings" is an ill-advised move.

The Bentley manual is a poor guide on this subject. The bearings have changed from what the Bentley shows, and the procedures given there are inapplicable. The only
bearing race that is separable is the outer roller bearing inner race.

The bearings are really not designed to be removed without serious risk of damage. I would suggest that it's almost impossible to remove the old grease and clean the
bearings adequately without removing them ... so why bother? The inner roller bearing can only be removed by pressing (or hitting, if you're that kind of guy) on the inner race,
a procedure that is almost universally advised against, although it must be admitted that the bearings are pretty stout, and frequently have lost most of their press fit on the OD.
Note that the Bentley manual says to press them out via their outer races, an impossible thing with the 71 and 78 bearing housings I've worked with recently.
The outer roller bearing is a VERY tight press fit in the housing, and the outer race (which is thin) may not survive the removal & reinstallation. Removal will also require a pressing
tool of rather exact diameter, not typically found in the average wrencher's toolbox.

I would instead recommend just letting the bearings wear out naturally, and just plan to remove and replace every 200,000 miles or so. Be prepared to use sleeve locker on the
inner ball bearing due to wear in the bearing housing.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

I never tackled this job before and I'm a noob when it comes to what is normal and what is not with rear hub bearings. The reason I decided to remove everything was that I had play pushing the stub axle in and out but I didn't have play when moving side to side. The Greece was very old and it seems like these are the original bearings that probably never seen the light of day in the 200k+ miles that were on my bus.

Also, I noticed before I removed the c-clip that the inner bearing moved up and down in the housing but it will not come out all the way. Is this normal? I'm guessing my bearings are shot but what about the housing itself?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Men at Work
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

the inner bearing outer race should be loose enough to remove and reinstall but not loose enough to wiggle.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

Such movement is not "new-normal", but seems to be typical of well-used bus parts. If the inner ball bearings are moving in the housing, then yes the housing will be worn, and maybe the circlip also. It's easy and cheap enough to replace
the ball bearing , and you could use a bearing/sleeve retainer compound on the bearing OD. You might be able to just flip the circlip over, or use a new one (beware, there
are bogus undersized circlips in some of the bus rear bearing kits being sold - should be 2.0 mm thick). There are no new, unused bearing housings to be had, so your options
are limited.

Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the inner bearing outer race should be loose enough to remove and reinstall but not loose enough to wiggle.

It's all one unit, bearing and race.

It does not wiggle in the housing. I took the hub off and have it on my bench and the bearing slid up and down (very little) inside the housing with the c-clip intact but once removed I can slide the bearing up and down in the housing but I cannot remove it without force or a pinch/press. Sound right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Men at Work
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

Also, I noticed before I removed the c-clip that the inner bearing moved up and down in the housing but it will not come out all the way. Is this normal? I'm guessing my bearings are shot but what about the housing itself?
The bearings are a press fit into the housings. If there is any movement between the bearing and the housing. Time for a new housing.

This is an earlier model but will give you the idea.
thanks to anskeptic
IRS Rear Wheel Bearing Repack/Replace

Good luck
Tcash
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

well, you opened it all up before cleaning, so you're pretty much guaranteed contamination at this point.

typically bearings don't survive well with r+r, and are a 1 time use kind of thing. can it be done, yes but you'd better bring your A game

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

The housing bore just above the circlip groove will be the original, unworn diameter, so you can not expect the bearing to just drop out. The bearing
was originally a press fit in the housing, and did not move in/out or spin around. I would guess that you could drive around with a wiggly bearing for
another 100,000 miles, but of course the housing bore will become progressively worse.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

If they're not making any noise and have no unwanted play just leave 'em.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hub Bearings Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
well, you opened it all up before cleaning, so you're pretty much guaranteed contamination at this point.

typically bearings don't survive well with r+r, and are a 1 time use kind of thing. can it be done, yes but you'd better bring your A game

Yeah, not looking to repack after I found the play in the axle shaft. I've cleaned all the grease and gunk from the housing since. I know the newer bearing a junk but I really don't have another option. Passenger side has no play what so ever and it nice and tight.

-Men at Work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: