Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large battery under driver's seat?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prattcm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

I just bought a group 27 battery to use for my house battery. I was originally planning on putting it in the cabinet beside the water tank, but I tried putting it under the drivers seat and I think it could work. It sticks up out of the compartment about an inch, but does not interfere with the seat at all if I put the terminals toward the rear. I was thinking about trying to fabricate a new cover that would go over the battery in this location. Has anyone done anything like this? Thoughts?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Go for it. Its been done. Just wont be able to swivel front seat. Be sure to protect the terminals
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Please post your progress mate, I've got a group 27 battery I could put into my Vanagon. I thought it was going to have to go under the bench.

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

x3...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
prattcm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Ok, I finally got around to putting it in this past week. I have a recaro drivers seat so I'm not sure how this would work with the stock seat. I previously had a 44 Ah battery in the battery box but recently upgraded to a larger group 27 to see if I could make it work. I like how it turned out.

I started by drilling out the rivets on the metal lid to remove it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then cut a slit in the carpet so I could tuck it into the box behind the battery.

I built this using 3/4 inch plywood. I started with a cardboard template to get it how I wanted then glued and screwed it together. I also added a hole for a Blue Sea usb/12v outlet.

I wrapped it in some fabric that kind of matched the interior (any shade of brown) and mounted an iota battery charger.

I added a piece of cedar to the top and used a carriage bolt to mount it to the cabinet.

I'm happy with how it turned out. It does a good job of covering the battery and provided a good place to mount the charger and add some outlets.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

That appears to be extremely well done! And it gives some ideas for mounting a charger, solar controller, fuse panels, gauges, etc. Thank you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tkic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Wow, classy work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Sweet great job, like how you used the extra storage. Is the battery bolted down?
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Brilliant mate, well done.

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

I like it! I'll take one in the same color...??? Wink Wink Wink

- Dave

PS: What's the amp-hour rating on your new battery?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Very Happy That does look great- Only reservations would be when in an accident or rollover will that battery stay put along with its acid, or will you have an 60# missile flying bout spraying acid on everything.-- So button it up with angle iron frame and a decent lid and box and should be a great spot- AND you will always know when it's over charging.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prattcm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I debated whether or not some sort of strap was necessary. It does sit pretty snugly in the compartment and I have a grippy rubber pad under it so I don' think it will move much. When the seat is slid back into the driving position about a third of the battery is under the seat, so in the event of an accident the battery wouldn't come out of the box.

As for the battery, it does not have an Ah rating on it, it has a reserve capacity of 140. I got it from a local hardware store and they said it was the most popular battery the Amish people use for their solar setups around here (middle of nowhere, Ohio) and it was only $80. It was cheaper and larger than the previous battery I had and with the new charger I should be able to prevent it from getting too low and killing the battery, which is what happened to the last one.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Flooded Lead Acid batteries are supposed to be in a closed off, vented compartment (or engine compartment) due to supposedly explosive hydrogen gas produced during charging and discharging. Not that I've ever heard of that happening, but there it is.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Laughing wow $80--- did you get the Amish discount.-

I found if I plan for stuff or have a spare part-- I never need it.-- but did have a battery explode all over me and a new jacket once- so - as mentioned- Hydrogen may be a factor. Embarassed But the spot is pretty tempting if you can figure out a vent that keeps the acid and fumes under control. All those battery locations don't rust thru because of rain.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

After reading this, I tried to cram my Group 27 AGM battery http://amzn.to/1WWHaJK under the driver seat with no success, it's slightly too big.
The battery box has a sloping angle on the door side, if that didn't exist the battery would slip right in. Did you have to do any massaging to the battery box at all?

prattcm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Vanhalla wrote:
After reading this, I tried to cram my Group 27 AGM battery http://amzn.to/1WWHaJK under the driver seat with no success, it's slightly too big.
The battery box has a sloping angle on the door side, if that didn't exist the battery would slip right in. Did you have to do any massaging to the battery box at all?

I didn't have to do anything to the box, it fit right in. I noticed on the battery you linked it is 12.9" long, mine is closer to 12".
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

the Syncro box has a sloped box corner, perhaps all 91's do as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Large battery under driver's seat? Reply with quote

Just put a MK Battery M50-12 SLD M, 50Ah Deep Cycle AGM under the driver's seat. No mods necessary, battery fits perfect. I know I could have gotten more Ah's in various other configurations, but this was plug and play. Ground right in battery compartment, positive cable routed behind cabinets and refrigerator back to the Lifeline GPL 31XT 125Ah AGM in bottom compartment next to fridge.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: