Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dwell tach
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Got the dwell tach today and it seems squirrelly . Bounces around so it is unreadable. Red wire to coil ,distributer , and black to bat neg. any ideas what is going on? Name is standard digital multimeter. Thanks Dan
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Ah the eternal question: is your dwell/tach screwy or is your distributor nice and worn out?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Try it on another engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

It dosen't appear to have excessive wear . What would I look for ? I had the tach close to the engine. Could I be picking up noise from the plug wires?
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

If your dwell meter is digital, it certainly could be interference from ignition. I had that problem with my old set of plug wires, couldn't get steady voltage, rpm, or any other readings on digital equipment. New set of plug wires and everything was fine.
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Yes digital....Sineometer ut100. Company makes a bunch of these so I guess it should be fairly reliable.
I've looked at the blue wires in the dark and can't see any leakage but old eyes play tricks n me too.
Any way to check for noise?
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Well if you get a lot of static on the radio and it changes with RPM, that is always an indicator. The wires could be non-suppression which would cause the same issue.
As suggested, check the dwell on another vehicle to verify the meter is good.
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Don't have a radio or another engine with points. I wonder if I can put a resistor inline with the meter to settle it down? What size resister?
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

As per Ken's advice I put new bosh wires in and that solved the tach jumping around problem thanks
However the tach reads steady at about 325 but by ear it seems to be idling about right for a vw if memory serves me. But it's been about 30 yrs since I worked on one.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

bad wires will do that. affected my voltage measurements on the generator for me.
Is it possible the tach has a 4,6,8 cylinder position and it's in the 8 position or do you need to double the reading for a 4 cyl?
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

Yes this one has 3,4,6,8 and it is set on 4. It is a puzzle but I learn with every challenge . I'll try the 8 setting and see if there is any coralation between the two.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

I used an analog dwell meter and had no problems.

I referenced Rob and Dave's tune up procedure:

http://vw-resource.com/tune_up.html

Although kind of lengthy, it explained everything I needed to know. I just printed out the whole thing so I could reference it while at the engine.

Rebuilding the carb at the same time made a huge difference when I did the full tune up. Everything ran very nicely since the whole system was refreshed and worked on as a whole.

Mark
Maineshops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dwell tach Reply with quote

I have Rob and Daves printed out too. I've cleaned the carb and replaced o rings and gaskets. I'm going to try to set the fast idle with a feeler gauge today. Can't do it by eye and get it accurate and from what I read that is critical to do the other two adjustments right.
Finding "stuff" here in northern Maine is a pain. Will a dashboard tach work? I may be able to find one of them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: