Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Can anyone direct me to an 8mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. It does NOT have the deep stud in #3. The last set that I bought wouldn't work. Even with cutting off as much as I could most of the studs were too long. Did I just get the wrong set? All of the sets that I see for sale have one extra long one minus a mid length stud. HELP me please.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

all the new kits are going to have the 9 of the long studs for deep studded cases. Best thing to do is buy that kit, and buy a single medium length stud for that #3 outer one and use that.

The deep studding prevents case cracking behind #3.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I haven't seen singles for sale. Maybe I got an incorrect kit. I would have to use 5 or six thick washers on each stud to be able to tighten down nuts before running out of threads. Way too long on all of them.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

You may have a '71 bus, but you evidently do not have a stock '71 bus case. You need to get the stud kit that suits your case. Also, dual-port head studs are not the same
as single port.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

All 8mm stud cases have #3 deep stud
The kit is right, your engine is wrong
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

It is a bus case and letters indicate that it is a 1971. It is an AE case.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Right, so it was 10mm studs and it DID have the deep #3,
someone has converted it to 8mm studs and eliminated the deep stud.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Ok, maybe someone changed the inserts to 8mm but are there different length of studs for let's say a stroker motor, that I recieved. I wouldn't know why 8mm studs would have to be a half inch longer or more than 10mm studs. I cut them down and they still almost touched the rocker arm shaft. Maybe the person I got them from had no idea what he had.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

there are head stud kits which are 1/2-1" longer than stock, they are rarely needed. But if your stuff wasn't marked, it's possible that's what you go and why you had such an issue.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
there are head stud kits which are 1/2-1" longer than stock, they are rarely needed. But if your stuff wasn't marked, it's possible that's what you go and why you had such an issue.

Oh yeah, I have gotten those "extra long" kits and they are marked as stock length. That would require you to cut every stud.

People may laugh but EMPI sells the BEST studs kits out there. The studs are always straight and the thread length is correct.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
People may laugh but EMPI sells the BEST studs kits out there. The studs are always straight and the thread length is correct.

Does anybody know if they are the same Chinese stuff EMPI has been selling for many years or are they the former Bugpack products that were correctly made with the rolled threads?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Does anybody know if they are the same Chinese stuff EMPI has been selling for many years or are they the former Bugpack products that were correctly made with the rolled threads?

These are EMPI only stud kits. I have been buying them for 10+ years. I have bought chromoly head stud kits from at least 5 other companies and they are crap.

Again, I am not professing that every EMPI part is the best as there are still some that I flat out refuse to use BUT the stud kits are top quality.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to grab a couple ARP 8mm kits during the short time they were available. Perhaps someone could persuade ARP to make more ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: 8 mm head stud kit for a 71 bus. Is there such a thing? SOLVED Reply with quote

Today my VW parts guy figured out my troubles and the incorrect length. Those studs were for a Mexican Head that requires head studs to be longer due to head castings. I got the ones that I needed to finish the transition that someone started by changing it to 8mm inserts. Thanks for your time and answers. It lead us in the right direction to solve this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: