Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

So I just got this diagnosis and was wondering if anyone has any tips etc.

The doc started me on Methotrexate 10mg once a week. I'm pretty miserable
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Bad news but google arthritis foundation it's got info. If we all listed our physical complaints here I'm sure folks are dealing with a lot of bad stuff. I'll just say I've got osteoarthritis in my hands. Joints are getting twisted screw it I'm going keep doing what I like. Getting older aint for pussies. Very Happy
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip to the site.
Getting older? I haven't hit 40
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Got it in my back, been about 6 yrs. now, like you said "screw it" will keep doing what I do, albeit a bit slower. I take Tramadol for pain, haven't had any noticable side effects so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Give Weed a shot. It works wonders for pain.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

I have known 2 people that have controlled symptoms through lifestyle changes and detoxes. They cut out booze,tobacco,fried foods 100%. occasional flare ups were treated with bee-sting therapy. Regular bowel detox with psyllium seed/charcoal formula. Fairly low budget changes that have yielded good results in my very limited experience. Changes were noticeable after 6 months. Lots of research will give you the best path for understanding your specific situation.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Yeah, Diat helps a lot. High Fiber! Eat the Vegetables, I' avoid the ones grown under ground though. Some cut out gluten or just eat sprouted breads. I have found some of the dried beans etc are bad too. I eat a head of broccoli or 6 brussel sprouts or something like that everyday.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

my dad had it, they thought I had it but test showd I didnt, just too much radaition .tramadol is nice but can be habit forming....so is the pain so... they gave me some bextra...almost killed me, then some nuronten...and some other crap that gave me just what the tiny print said it would, killing my kids in my nightmares.just what I needed. so i deal with the pain.I got a perscription for laratab in 2005....it's still half full.I dont like drugs(cant do them,makes my head feal like my brains are mush) but when I hurt so bad I wanna die I take one and try to sleep. all my joints a re straight&normal looking.so i can still do things, just hurts.Ive learned to live with it.sometimes it takes me over a min to move once I have goten up from a sitting posisition to walking and the walking is......s....l...o....w for the first 10-20 steps. diet helps. I just deal with it. when it gets too bad I will start trying the weeds....my yard is full of them,I just dont know witch ones to eat Shocked , I also get migrains, bad ones that make the joint pain feel good comparatively. I have some opiates for them Shocked just get those 3 months ago& have used about 3/4 of the bottle, but...I think there the new breed of opiates with the inhibitor in them,as I cant tell I have taken any thing execpt for the migrain pain eazes up and usualy shorten it about half of normal, but some it dosent do squat on like the 3 migrains I had monday,tuesday&wedsday well wed was just 2 migrains, 3 at i time aint eazy. Ill take the joint pain any time instead.
try diferent things to find what trigers the joint pain and what eazes it, you might find a happy medium just with diet and eaze off the meds if possiable. the less you take the better they will work when you realy need them . good luck, and if your dreams start effing with you.....that it. many of the new age pain meds have the morbid nightmare side affects.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

barfy wrote:
So I just got this diagnosis and was wondering if anyone has any tips etc.

The doc started me on Methotrexate 10mg once a week. I'm pretty miserable

my wife had it diagnozed almost a year ago. (she just turned 32)

She's on methotrexate as well, the biggest dose possible (smaller didnt work).

If you have problem with side effect, i recommend injecting it. it's no fun, it hurts, but the side effect are much better.

So far, she's not really doing better. It has its up and down, but it takes a few months to get the treatment just right, so we're still hopeful.

Best i can tell you is good luck, its no fun. And keep in mind that the sooner its treated, the best chances you have to have less damage on the long run.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Bad news but google arthritis foundation it's got info. If we all listed our physical complaints here I'm sure folks are dealing with a lot of bad stuff. I'll just say I've got osteoarthritis in my hands. Joints are getting twisted screw it I'm going keep doing what I like. Getting older aint for pussies. Very Happy

X10
Just makes it harder to work on stuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

X10

Yes until the day comes when you can't do it. Many of my friends have aged out or died. The one that really made an impression on me was Jack. He was a WW2 veteran but like many never talked about it. Using the G.I. Bill he became a petroleum engineer after the war and worked during the glory days of oil and gas industry. He got into VWs in the 50s and shared with us his knowledge. Towards the end he knew he was going to die soon he said goodbye to us on a Saturday and died at his home sitting in his favorite chair with his wife. I don't even know why I'm telling you this, maybe it's to say enjoy this day,try to help someone if you can. Sorry for the rant.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if doctors are too quick to prescribe medication. What scares me is that medication can be a slippery slope, because after a few years of taking something, you may need another medication to counter the side effects, etc. etc. etc.

At least, I would go to another doctor for a second opinion, I would read up on the medication you're being prescribed to learn more about its long-term effects, and I would maybe also consult with a chiropractor to see if there's any physical or other alternative therapy that would help your condition.

My wife found acupuncture helped relieve some of her headaches, and injections of this stuff made from rooster combs to help alleviate pain in her knees. I have back problems which are held in check by occasional visits to the chiropractor and / or the physical therapist.

Notice I said "held in check". After a certain age, part of dealing with physical problems is the mental attitude you take. If you rage at the physical changes taking place in your body, you will probably suffer more from them. But if you accept the changes as natural and expected, you may be able to do much better at adapting to them. Both of us see medication and surgery as last resorts.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if doctors are too quick to prescribe medication. What scares me is that medication can be a slippery slope, because after a few years of taking something, you may need another medication to counter the side effects, etc. etc. etc.

Pretty hard to miss what rhumatoid arthritis is.

Doctor check joint. is there water in them? yes. That's pretty simple.

When it comes to medication, there's two choice ; Methotrexate, which is basically what they give to people with cancer (in smaller dose), and some almost experimental bio-stuff, which is very, very expensive, and some insurance company do not cover.

The later one is usually only given once the Methotrexate is proven to not work with some patient.

Crazy cat-lady remedy do not work with that kind of problem, and its hard to accept the fact that you're just getting older when you'Re not even 40 and stuck with it for life. It's not like you lifted boxes all your life and your back is done, its just that your body decided to be ape-shit and fight your joints...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Not sure what crazy cat lady thing you are talking about, but as you said not everyone responds to some medications. None of us gets to choose our fate so we better just enjoy this day or make the best of what we got. My father in law has been wearing a catheter since late last year. That's a tube inserted into his penis 24/7. That can't be fun but that old guy still drinks scotch when he can and lives best he can he was a mechanic all his life, what a guy.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
olspeed wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

X10

Yes until the day comes when you can't do it. Many of my friends have aged out or died. The one that really made an impression on me was Jack. He was a WW2 veteran but like many never talked about it. Using the G.I. Bill he became a petroleum engineer after the war and worked during the glory days of oil and gas industry. He got into VWs in the 50s and shared with us his knowledge. Towards the end he knew he was going to die soon he said goodbye to us on a Saturday and died at his home sitting in his favorite chair with his wife. I don't even know why I'm telling you this, maybe it's to say enjoy this day,try to help someone if you can. Sorry for the rant.

I already told the wife that when the time does come where I "can't" she's to just strap me to my sled with the handyman's secret weapon set the throttle on WOT and point me toward the big Su(river) and wave good bye... She's already got the roll of duct tape on the night stand Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

LOL, I gotta watch out for my wife as she might just push me off the roof with the last shingle nail left to go. atleast I would be put out of her misery... Shocked .
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Can't do weed, due to the sensitive nature of my job/security clearances. My company actually takes that crap serious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

My 25 year old daughter has Crohn's disease. It is similar to Rheumatoid arthritis as both are your bodies immune system run amok. She uses Humira injections every 2 weeks, her side effects are like feeling under the weather for 24 hours after the injection. There is a bit of mouse, as in mice or meeses in it, this type of drug is called a biologic drug. It does keep her Crohns in remission. She's been taking it for about 7 years now because steroids and antibiotics only worked while still an adolescent. Humira works similar to anti rejection drugs fro transplant recipients, which closed many doors for her dreams of the future. You may have seen the TV commercials mentioning TB and certain types of fungal infections. She's now in Med school but won't be able to join the military or do doctors with out borders. She intends to practice family medicine in underserved US communities through the Guubermint. They'll pay off her school loans. Kind of a Northern Exposure thing.

There has been some recently and not so recently research on Helminthic therapy. We are to clean as a nation and our children are not exposed to natural dirt anymore evidence is mounting that people and microbes need to get together in order for the immune system to develop properly. These kind of diseases are rare in 3rd world countries. Processed food is another cause of a lot of prevalent American health issues.

I'm not a fruit cake about this stuff, not what you might call a flat earther. The research I'm talking about comes from reputable sources. Helminthic therapy is hook worm. University medical research was started after some guy in the UK, with Crohns, went to Africa and walked around in poop pits, barefoot, to contract hook worm. Crohns doesn't exist in Africa. His Chrons went into remission. He started extracting hookworms from his poop and selling it as a treatment. people bought it and claimed remission. word got out and the guubermint shut him down.

All that to say that there is hope on the horizon. for even better treatment. Oh, and another disease in this category of immune system attacking your body is multiple sclerosis. This has also shown up in the news as something they are getting closer to putting into remission with biologic therapies.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:

At least, I would go to another doctor for a second opinion, I would read up on the medication you're being prescribed to learn more about its long-term effects, and I would maybe also consult with a chiropractor to see if there's any physical or other alternative therapy that would help your condition.

My wife found acupuncture helped relieve some of her headaches, and injections of this stuff made from rooster combs to help alleviate pain in her knees. I have back problems which are held in check by occasional visits to the chiropractor and / or the physical therapist.

Notice I said "held in check". After a certain age, part of dealing with physical problems is the mental attitude you take. If you rage at the physical changes taking place in your body, you will probably suffer more from them. But if you accept the changes as natural and expected, you may be able to do much better at adapting to them. Both of us see medication and surgery as last resorts.

RA is confirmed by blood test and looking at the symptoms.
There is the RF factor and anti-CCP. Both are elevated for me.

I first went to a Ortho doctor thinking it was tendonitis. After his blood test etc, he refereed me to the Rheumatologist( who is the top in town).

The main reason I went right on the pills is to preserve my joints. I am an electrician, the use of my hands greatly impacts my ability to work.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis Reply with quote

Good thing these days is that you can research your disease yourself on the internet and not depend solely on what doctors or friends tell you. Best of luck to you in dealing with RA.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: