Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

silly anomalies
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: silly anomalies Reply with quote

I took some time off from the yard work that piled while I was incapacitated to work on Thing. I am reminded why I admire DIYers and at the same time wonder why I waste my time even trying to be an entry level one.

My first mission was to replace the old rear tail light lenses with its spider cracks. None of the cracks were through the thickness of the plastic or diminished the integrity of the lens. I just thought new lenses would look better.

Since my tail lights are the original Hella four-bulb units, those were the lenses I sought. Finding Hella lenses in better condition than the ones I already had was tough enough; the money sought for these lenses blew my mind.

The units I got were aftermarket units but they were brand new. I was okay with them not saying Hella on them. And for cheaper than Hella lenses, I was able to get the entire tail lights including the wiring and the bulbs. Still, I thought I would just replace each lens. The units with the lenses removed were brighter and more chrome-like surrounding the bulbs than the painted silver of the Hella units but I still marched onward with my screwdriver in hand.

Ha! The lenses didn't fit. Oh, the screws holes lined up nicely. The top of the lens touched the top of the base nicely. For some reason the bottom of the base did not.

After closer inspection, I noticed the "new" units had a different inside tab than the Hella. It would fit its own base, but not the Hella base. For this to work, I'd either have to do some custom work to the tab or replace the entire unit, base with wiring and all.

I opted to clean the inside of the original Hella lens and just put it back on. Maybe someday I will have the entire units swapped by someone who knows what they are doing.

My second simple project was installing a new door check strap and check strap leaf spring. The former was corroded on the driver's door and the latter was missing.

This meant I got to take my rivet gun I purchased over a year ago out of its package and make like an expert. To my surprise, the check strap leaf spring riveted in place quite nicely. It could have been better but for a complete novice, it did do the job. I'm not sure why the waste piece from the rivet didn't cut and get ejected, but I was able to snip it off.

When it came to attaching the door, I realized why the previous owner used a small nut and bolt after looking at my other three doors. The driver's door is missing the door check strap pin -- around five bucks with shipping from TTS I would guess.

Temporarily, I bought a shorter zinc plated version of the nut and bolt to get rid of the rusty versions that was on there. It works fine. I would prefer to use the check strap pin like the other doors but I am not buying a welder.

Is that the only way it installs -- welding? Or is there a nicer way to install it doofus yourselfers like me can't figure out on his own?

Me installing the highback front seats should be a thigh slapping experience for onlookers in the future.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: silly anomalies Reply with quote

The door pin must be welded. That is one of the first areas I check before starting body work. Factory only welded one spot. I weld on all sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: silly anomalies Reply with quote

As a non-welder, I threaded the tab on the body M8, and re-shaped a stainless M8 button head screw to resemble the original pin. Here's a sketch:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Threaded in from the bottom, it has stayed put for a few years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: silly anomalies Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
The door pin must be welded. That is one of the first areas I check before starting body work. Factory only welded one spot. I weld on all sides.

Hmmm, I don't own a welder and won't be buying one at my age and level of (in)experience. I gritted my teeth spending money on the rivet gun but I may be using that in other home applications. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who welds.

I did think about Super Glue or Gorilla Glue or whatever the now and wow adhesive is for those who know.

mondshine wrote:
As a non-welder, I threaded the tab on the body M8, and re-shaped a stainless M8 button head screw to resemble the original pin ... Threaded in from the bottom, it has stayed put for a few years.

Being the technoklutz I am, I had to look up M8. Of course, I got pages of Andriod stuff until I went to the Home Depot site to do my search.

That doesn't look terribly different than what I got (have to look at the receipt to be sure of what I got), except I didn't do the reshaping. However, I'm not sure what you have yours threaded to. Having what you have simply sticking up without a nut would like quite nice.

Edit: I searched welder just to see if I could persuade myself into buying one. I saw something called a Bernzomatic for under $75, but then I also saw gloves, glasses, helmets, wire (is welding like soldering?), and oxygen tanks. Oh my. Persuasion failed.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: silly anomalies Reply with quote

I like what Mondshine did. You would be tapping threads where the pin originally went and put the bolt up from the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: silly anomalies Reply with quote

I did this same thing on my 73 and it is holding very well and and looks just like it belongs there.
GB
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: silly anomalies Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I like what Mondshine did.

Me, too.

Ron Domeck wrote:
You would be tapping threads where the pin originally went and put the bolt up from the bottom.

I will have to do some more research. Sounds like it may be doable by me even.

Edit: Quick search on tapping threads brought me to my first question -- Is that piece of a section steel where I would be tapping into? Search possibilities included tapping threads in steel, in aluminum, etc. ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: