Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What motor is this?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Rolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: What motor is this? Reply with quote

Can some please tell me which Porsche motor this is . It's in a barn find 58 VW BUG ragtop bug I found .Its been setting for 15 years. Is the motor worth keeping for resale to a Porsche person? If I buy the car I don't want this motor in it . thanks

Karl
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what motor is this? Reply with quote

It looks to be a Porsche Industrial Engine, made to be used in a vw replacement application. Look at the engine case along the split, under the Zenith 32NDIX carb, for a stamping showing the engine type number, typically 616/??-?. From there, you can make better inquiries about its worth. It is worth more to porche people needing good parts, and you can take the money and get a nice vw engine to go in there.
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
Karl Rolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: what motor is this? Reply with quote

Thank you.. I can see now why the single carb . I was expecting to see duals carbs .. I will look at the case numbers .. yes I would love to put the OG 36hp motor back in the car . thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what motor is this? Reply with quote

There is also an Industrial Engine Nameplate on the top of the fanshroud. I can see it in your photo. It will have all the pertinent specs and numbers. It is likely to be a Typ 616/18 engine. If so, it probably has around 55 HP DIN, as compared to the VW 30 HP DIN. A great kick in the pants as compared to the original engine.
I believe the 616/18 was also used in the rare and limited production Porsche Jagdwagen - a kind of kubelwagen made by Porsche but never adopted by the military.
1973 VW Type 181 with 616/33-6 powerplant
1962 356B-T6 Cabriolet Rustbucket
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What motor is this? Reply with quote

The 36 HP motor is a great motor but finding one and parts to rebuild it are near impossible these days. It was so massive compared to the output that they run forever. I'd keep the Porsche if it runs as you will be on the road a lot sooner (unless you can find someone to trade a good running one for it). Just remember you live in So. Cal. and you will get mowed down trying to get on the freeway with a 36 HP VW.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What motor is this? Reply with quote

Thanks to a resurgence in nostalgia and vintage performance 36hp are easier to rebuild now than they were 5-10 years ago. Most parts are easily available or rebuild able now thankfully
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What motor is this? Reply with quote

Keep it Porsche powered, what a conversation piece...
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What motor is this? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The 36 HP motor is a great motor but finding one and parts to rebuild it are near impossible these days. It was so massive compared to the output that they run forever. I'd keep the Porsche if it runs as you will be on the road a lot sooner (unless you can find someone to trade a good running one for it). Just remember you live in So. Cal. and you will get mowed down trying to get on the freeway with a 36 HP VW.

I had a '65 'C' motor in my '56 vw (sunroof!), that car did fly!! Speedo goes to 70 mph, but it would go just past 70 in 3rd. 4th would bounce the needle on the backside of the peg. <-steering was very unresponsive, best to do this on straight sections of road!

Had to remove carbs before installing motor, lost a lot of knuckle flesh re-installing them in the car.

-c-
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What motor is this? Reply with quote

I assume that with the engine in the car, the proper modifications to the valve train have been made?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: