Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor curve
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Distributor curve Reply with quote

Running a 2056 914 in my VW Thing. 40mm HPMX's, with 32 vents I am not able to get enough vacuum for my SVDA 034. About 5". So...going back to a 009. I heard that 914/Type 4's respond to a lot of initial advance. Is this true and if so where can I get the spring(s) I need?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor curve Reply with quote

I would just set the 009 at 29 deg.s BTC at 3000RPM and see how it likes it. I just sold a Mallory dual point adjustable advance Dist. It had a key to set the max advance from 10 to 22 deg.s so you could find the max. advance point to start easy and not over advance the overall timing, that way you can fine tune your motor to its best running point. Another advantage to this dist. is the points last for years as they are "parrllel wired" so the point set that opens to break the connection is not the one to close it, so no burned points.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor curve Reply with quote

Also....with type 4s....especially 411/412/914 spec...high compression......the engines do not run well off the line throttle response wise..... below about 8° BTDC at idle. 10° is better.

This is one of the problems with the type 4 engine and 009 with stockish cams. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor curve Reply with quote

put a cb magna spark II in it. and curve it the way it needs. eazy to do everything is up top.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor curve Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
put a cb magna spark II in it. and curve it the way it needs. eazy to do everything is up top.

I thought you love the 009 Think

If you want simple and mechanical only, look for a 050. It was designed as a replacement distributor for the Type 4 and 914.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: