Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have you traded for a VW?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

About 22 years ago, I traded a 1957 Double Door Walkthrough Panel Bus for an Original Endless Summer Poster from 1966

http://espn.go.com/espn/photos/gallery/_/id/961359...nica-calif

Today the poster is worth as much as a bus in today's market and I still have the poster.
Amazing, does anyone have similar stories?

I traded a running triumph unit 500cc for a 1967 Westy, that trade wouldn't happen today. Beater english bikes are still cheap.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

not me personally, but a good story.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/50...en-beetle/

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
CaliforniaBullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded my 32 ford grill, 32 ford hood that fits 31 ford, 28-29 ford headlight bar with 30-31 ford headlights and a 32 ford aluminum radiator for chevy engine for my cousins 57 vw bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

A few decades ago I traded all my dark room and film developing stuff for a '69 Bug
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded cash for mine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I thought I traded my life away when I bought my 1970 back in 1972. I took on payments of $31.41 per month, my only vehicle payments ever.

Maybe that's why I can now be retired....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe that's why I can now be retired....

True.
I bought a new truck recently and during my research I read that 1/3 of all purchasers roll a balance over onto their new vehicle from their previous ride. I thought that was crazy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded one of the early Compaq portable computers, a Yamaha classical guitar, and a couple of Nikon lenses, along with cash, for a '65 convertible.

The engine blew up a year later and I sold it for half what I paid for it. On top of that, my wife had told me it was a bad deal from the get go. BOY, was that an expensive experience! Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
IFVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

traded a 70 beetle for a 58SC and 64 Bus.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

walnut shift knob worth about $20 for a rolling 65 parts bug less engine
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded a Marlin .35 cal. rifle for a '69 Bug.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

In 1967 I traded a rusty '58 Ford Skyliner and 400 bucks for a '64 Beetle.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

In the 80s, I let a guy drag away a '66 carcass. Traded for a case of Lucky Lager.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I am waiting for someone to answer "my marriage."
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I coughed up cash to the PO's estate knowing my dad got a third of it. I also ended up with some paintings that were otherwise going into the trash....a major auction house in NYC said they could flog one of them for 7 to 10k. The whole thing still pisses one aunt off to this day.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded a '02 Passat (that I bought for$500) for a rolled 04 TDI beetle.
Then I traded the engine & labor for a Kimber TLE-ll, a Panther arms DPMS AR15, a SKS, and a Rossi .38 special. Then I sold the interior door panels for $600. Then I traded the trans for a Mac-9 & a Tec-9.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded a Specialized Rockhopper for a running driving 71 super convertible. Then traded it back to the same guy for a Jeep CJ-5 tuxedo park, that I then traded back to the same guy for a 63 ghia. We were and still are good friends and we constantly trade stuff back and forth. He bought my raspberry 63 sunroof car and I wish he still had that one to trade back for it was solid. Oh BTW I traded a basket case zwitter sunroof car for the 63.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Back in 95 when I was hanging around Taos, NM, I did a good old fashioned work trade for a mint,low milage,one owner 75 Westphalia. It belonged to a Widow and it had a small engine fire not long after her husband had died. She was never going to feel safe driving it again, So it sat in her barn for years. She had seen me hanging out in my beat up-rusting away Bus around town and one day came up and offered me a deal. Her homstead needed a lot of repairs and maintenance ,would I be interested in.........YES!!! .I can't remember how may hours or for how much whatnot , but we both felt great about it in the end.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

not realy traded but I built my bug so i could get rid of my 454 long bed,4door,duelie with gooseneck&lift gate,airbreaks,acola wheels, high cr,cam rolller rockers,head work big valves,big ports,small chambers....and more......wtf was I thinking. Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
Back in 95 when I was hanging around Taos, NM, I did a good old fashioned work trade for a mint,low milage,one owner 75 Westphalia. It belonged to a Widow and it had a small engine fire not long after her husband had died. She was never going to feel safe driving it again, So it sat in her barn for years. She had seen me hanging out in my beat up-rusting away Bus around town and one day came up and offered me a deal. Her homstead needed a lot of repairs and maintenance ,would I be interested in.........YES!!! .I can't remember how may hours or for how much whatnot , but we both felt great about it in the end.

I like this one, people helping people
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: