Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring for engine swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:
How the FI is connected with the rear back up lights? as a was taking out the wiring i never notice having any connection to the FI.

There is an inline fuse in the black wire that branches off from the black #15 wire that runs between the coil and the double relay. The fuse supplies power to the backup light switch on the tranny.

Really odd way to have laid the wiring out, but it works.

This should be on the wiring diagram?

Current track 61
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg

Nothing looks alarming in that engine, but the cam will need attention.

Thanks, busdaddy this look a lot different than the 72 but i will figure it out, it is a big relief to have so many great minds here other wise i will be really lost Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

this is the story on this bus,
a lady purchase the bus used from a dealer in California late 80's then they ship the bus to big island they live in it for a year then they ship it to kauai in early 90's they live in it for few years at this campground call Lidgate she got pregnant so they move out of the bus they got divorce later and the ex kept the bus. he sold the bus to the lady that sold it to me she drove it for about a year give it to her son to use to carry his boards he didn't like it so Momi got him a pick up truck and she park the bus out of the way in her 200 acre backyard.
How do i know all this drama ? because the lady that ship it here, got pregnant and got divorce is my Freaking Neighbor Very Happy she came over the other day and ask me if there was a sticker inside that say "for better or for worse" i told her it was inside the sliding door then she told me the story. she say she never remember having it on the shop other than oil changes and regular maintenance i ask her if the engine ever been rebuilt she don't think so but she will ask her Ex since they are good friends Now Laughing there must of been good memories in this bus because she was crying.Crazy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:
How the FI is connected with the rear back up lights? as a was taking out the wiring i never notice having any connection to the FI.

There is an inline fuse in the black wire that branches off from the black #15 wire that runs between the coil and the double relay. The fuse supplies power to the backup light switch on the tranny.

Really odd way to have laid the wiring out, but it works.

This should be on the wiring diagram?

Current track 61
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg

Nothing looks alarming in that engine, but the cam will need attention.

Thanks, busdaddy this look a lot different than the 72 but i will figure it out, it is a big relief to have so many great minds here other wise i will be really lost Shocked

Hooking up the FI in an an earlier Bus isn't too terribly difficult. As mentioned, I recently did it in my '73 (and some of the details are in my thread in my signature).

As was said, the FI wiring harness is only connected to the main vehicle wiring harness in like 4 spots at the back of the Bus, and it should all just plug in to existing plugs.

You'll need to cut a hole for the engine computer to mount (presuming you want to mount it as factory) and also you'll need to cut the air cleaner stand out of the donor Bus and figure a way to attach it to your Bus (weld or otherwise).

I'm very satisfied with my '73 FI project. By swapping from the single-mount carburetor to FI, and installing the 091 transmission, I've gone from around 13 MPG to 18 or 19 MPG and can drive fast more readily!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
a lady purchase the bus used from a dealer in California late 80's then they ship the bus to big island they live in it for a year then they ship it to kauai in early 90's they live in it for few years at this campground call Lidgate she got pregnant so they move out of the bus they got divorce later and the ex kept the bus. he sold the bus to the lady that sold it to me she drove it for about a year give it to her son to use to carry his boards he didn't like it so Momi got him a pick up truck and she park the bus out of the way in her 200 acre backyard.
How do i know all this drama ? because the lady that ship it here, got pregnant and got divorce is my Freaking Neighbor Very Happy she came over the other day and ask me if there was a sticker inside that say "for better or for worse" i told her it was inside the sliding door then she told me the story. she say she never remember having it on the shop other than oil changes and regular maintenance i ask her if the engine ever been rebuilt she don't think so but she will ask her Ex since they are good friends Now Laughing there must of been good memories in this bus because she was crying.Crazy

All our buses probably have stories to tell...but that's a sad one indeed. "For better or worse"...geez, makes me misty-eyed. Sad
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:

All our buses probably have stories to tell...but that's a sad one indeed. "For better or worse"...geez, makes me misty-eyed. Sad

She want it what wasleftof the bus to make a garden out of it but I already give to a guy he isgoing to use the chassy. Crazy how this buses become part of who you are Very Happy
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well i decited not to cut my tin top and make it a camper (no yet anyway) so is on craiglist for $100.
we may be moving to mainland so every project on the bus is on stand by Sad
We are traying to figure out to land in California and drive to Florida Shocked and buy as much parts as we need to keep moving forward with the projects once we get settle in.
other than that the bus is driving good she get a few miles a week we'll see what the future hold Shocked
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Summer break free labor Very Happy rotating seat install.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: