Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring for engine swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Childs cot

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Childs cot

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

That's Super awesome, i don't have small children but i am going to fix the puka and re purpose for something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

i got to take the top off today A few power washes and it should be good to go i just have to cut the frame and see how it goes Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

is this black spot means overheated pistons?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

If you still can, pull the transmission from the donor Bus too. The bigger, stronger engine will like the taller gears better.

Sounds like you might have gotten all the wiring, but for reference of other readers, THE FUEL INJECTION WIRING HARNESS INCLUDES THE DOUBLE RELAY AND IT'S HARNESS, TO INCLUDE THE REVERSE LIGHT HARNESS!!

The double relay harness is basically separate from the rest of the FI harness, but it is 100% necessary to make the FI system work. I don't know how many "complete" harnesses I saw for sale that did not include this when I bought parts to convert my '73 to FI.

I ended up getting the double-relay harness from a guy doing a Subaru conversion. I happened to see it still hanging there in one of his pics and sent him a PM right away.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:

That is just an area where the piston is not touching and rubbing against the cylinder wall.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

probably captured rings in that area. You are seeing blowby. You can lightly glass bead with a find bead, then measure the ring to land clearance, and the ring end gap. Also inspect the piston when it is cleaned. If all things are a go you can rehone the cylinder to bust the glaze, fit new rings and run with it. I am not a fan of used cylinders on a VW because a new set are so inexpensive.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:

Not overheated. Carbon deposits from combustion gases getting past the rings.
Tcash
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If you still can, pull the transmission from the donor Bus too. The bigger, stronger engine will like the taller gears better.

Sounds like you might have gotten all the wiring, but for reference of other readers, THE FUEL INJECTION WIRING HARNESS INCLUDES THE DOUBLE RELAY AND IT'S HARNESS, TO INCLUDE THE REVERSE LIGHT HARNESS!!

The double relay harness is basically separate from the rest of the FI harness, but it is 100% necessary to make the FI system work. I don't know how many "complete" harnesses I saw for sale that did not include this when I bought parts to convert my '73 to FI.

I ended up getting the double-relay harness from a guy doing a Subaru conversion. I happened to see it still hanging there in one of his pics and sent him a PM right away.

I took tranni out and every single wire in that bus all the way from fuse box to rear lights.
How the FI is connected with the rear back up lights? as a was taking out the wiring i never notice having any connection to the FI.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
probably captured rings in that area. You are seeing blowby. You can lightly glass bead with a find bead, then measure the ring to land clearance, and the ring end gap. Also inspect the piston when it is cleaned. If all things are a go you can rehone the cylinder to bust the glaze, fit new rings and run with it. I am not a fan of used cylinders on a VW because a new set are so inexpensive.

was that a sign of future problems? i will get new ones just to be sure that nothing happen in the future.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
How the FI is connected with the rear back up lights? as a was taking out the wiring i never notice having any connection to the FI.

There is an inline fuse in the black wire that branches off from the black #15 wire that runs between the coil and the double relay. The fuse supplies power to the backup light switch on the tranny.

Really odd way to have laid the wiring out, but it works.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

This is what it look like when i open the case today, I don't think this engine had any major issues as far as internals even the oil look good, the PO told me the bus been sitting under a tree in her backyard( witch is 200 acres) since 1994.
Should trust the miles on the dash?

ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:

There is an inline fuse in the black wire that branches off from the black #15 wire that runs between the coil and the double relay. The fuse supplies power to the backup light switch on the tranny.

This should be on the wiring diagram?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
ALOHA 71 wrote:

This should be on the wiring diagram?

Current track 61
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg

Nothing looks alarming in that engine, but the cam will need attention.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

ALOHA 71 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

was that a sign of future problems? i will get new ones just to be sure that nothing happen in the future.

There aren't a lot of choices on P&C's out there, you have AA brand stuff which seems to work okay, but to go better is really expensive. I would clean the pistons well, check the ring groove clearances, the skirt to cylinder clearance, and the cylinder taper and if they check out okay then rering and move on.

For what it is worth, last fall I did a quickie top end rebuild on the 1800cc engine out of a '74 412 that I had thrown into my T2 the year before. I would describe the engine as a high mileage stock engine that appeared likely to never before even have had the heads removed. All the pistons looked just like yours (as have most every piston I have ever removed from one of these engines). I had new guides and exhaust valve put into the heads and just reringed the old pistons. The pistons clearances checked out fine, but the cylinders had a lot of taper so I spent a lot of time with a bar hone cleaning them up. With over 10K miles on the engine at this point the compression is excellent and the oil use is nil. My out of pocket cost were less than $500 for this "rebuild" and I expect that I will get at least 50K miles out of the engine, though I will likely pull it down and do the bottom end before it sees that many miles.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

I don't see the pronounced figure "8" wear pattern on the cam lobes. What am I missing?
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I don't see the pronounced figure "8" wear pattern on the cam lobes. What am I missing?
Tcash

I see the beginnings of it, could still be OK with a polish but regardless it's worth a closer look.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Tcash

I see the beginnings of it, could still be OK with a polish but regardless it's worth a closer look.

The piston ring blow by and the cam wear don't add up. Possibly honing debris left in the cylinders or rings never seated right.
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Tcash

I noticed the lack of the classic wear. I was thinking that someone may have had the lifters refaced along the way. That is what I have done and will do again as it automatically adds back the amount of lift lost due to the concave wear on the face of the lifter and overall it seems to add life to the cam. The cam out of my old 250K mile 1800 doesn't show the classic wear pattern and is really not in that bad of shape, I would guess it would still give more power than a new stock cam would.

The lobes on the OP cam to look to be worn short though so he has lost lot of lift.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring for engine swap Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Tcash

what suck is that in this island we don't have a vw experience machine shop i have a good vw mechanic that is going to do help me put it back together he should be able to tell me what i need. i am going to replace everything that moves as much as possible (all stock) i was thinking shipping the case, heads and shaft to Oahu since they have more machine shops and there are machines shops that can identify them self with vw engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: